Someone didn't like the Insight

Started by the Teuton, July 01, 2009, 09:46:23 AM

the Teuton

Consumer Reports lambasts Honda Insight, ranks it 21 out of 22 vehicles tested

Calling it "the most disappointing Honda Consumer Reports has tested in a long time," America's most influential product testing magazine has given extremely poor marks to the Japanese automaker's new Insight hybrid.

In a verdict that reminds us of a certain Jeremy Clarkson review (albeit more kindly worded), Consumer Reports blasted the gas-electric hatchback for its "ride quality, handling, interior noise, acceleration, rear-seat, access, and visibility," consigning the hapless Honda to a 21 out of 22 ranking among other small hatchbacks and wagons. Tallying a road test score of 54 points, it was trailed only by the widely panned Dodge Caliber, which managed just 49 points.

Despite the fact that it won't receive a much-coveted CR "Recommended" nod, the Insight still managed to post a "Good" overall road test score (largely on the strength of its 38 miles-per-gallon as-tested fuel economy). Regardless, it was comprehensively beaten by both the Volkswagen Jetta Wagon and the Hyundai Elantra Touring, which scored 80 and 79 points, respectively.

The Insight was the only vehicle in CR's test group to not to be Recommended, save Kia's Soul, which was excluded because the organization hasn't compiled any reliability data on the vehicle yet. Check out the press release after the jump.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/30/i-consumer-reports-i-lambasts-honda-insight-ranks-it-21-out/
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Byteme

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 09:46:23 AM
Consumer Reports lambasts Honda Insight, ranks it 21 out of 22 vehicles tested

Calling it "the most disappointing Honda Consumer Reports has tested in a long time," America's most influential product testing magazine has given extremely poor marks to the Japanese automaker's new Insight hybrid.

It will be interesting to see if this affects sales.  Human nature being what it is I suspect many buyers will buy one anyway just because it's a Honda.

Vinsanity

I have to admit, I was looking forward to a lower-priced competitor to take on the Prius, but alas Honda took a page from a 1980's GM textbook in hastily executing it. I wonder if they were afraid of cannibalizing sales of the somewhat successful Civic hybrid, but in the end, any car that makes a Prius look like a good deal is an automatic fail.

J86

Quote from: Byteme on July 01, 2009, 10:59:30 AM
It will be interesting to see if this affects sales.  Human nature being what it is I suspect many buyers will buy one anyway just because it's a Honda.

My Dad will like it less after reading that.

the Teuton

Quote from: J86 on July 01, 2009, 11:07:27 AM
My Dad will like it less after reading that.

After driving the Prius now, I have to say the car scares the shit out of me.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

cawimmer430

If this were a Prius Consumer Reports would be touching themselves...  :nutty:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

J86

Quote from: the Teuton on July 01, 2009, 11:08:31 AM
After driving the Prius now, I have to say the car scares the shit out of me.

how?  It's just an appliance...  we call it the spaceship :lol:

the Teuton

CJ

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 01, 2009, 11:11:47 AM
If this were a Prius Consumer Reports would be touching themselves...  :nutty:

The Insight really is a horrible vehicle.  Small, expensive, and it doesn't get that great of mileage.

ifcar

"In a verdict that reminds us of a certain Jeremy Clarkson review (albeit more kindly worded), Consumer Reports blasted the gas-electric hatchback for its 'ride quality, handling, interior noise, acceleration, rear-seat, access, and visibility'"

I called it first.

Drove the 2010 Prius today. Night and day. And except for ridiculously light steering, its handling wasn't far from the Insight's either.

sportyaccordy

It all started with that God awful Transformer 20% tranformed TL....

giant_mtb

38 MPG for a hybrid?  That's pathetic.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 02, 2009, 07:46:04 AM
38 MPG for a hybrid?  That's pathetic.

I've seen 35MPG in a V8 Jaguar XJ @70 MPH.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TBR

Quote from: Submariner on July 02, 2009, 07:51:38 AM

That isn't really relevant.

Remember, C/D could barely get 25 mpg out of economy cars; they don't know how to drive slow.

Quote from: Byteme on July 01, 2009, 10:59:30 AM

Sales are suffering and Honda knows it.

http://www.s2ki.com/home/2009/06/16/honda-insight-sales-figures-not-as-predicted

"Honda Insight Sales figures not as predicted
Jun 16th, 2009 by energetic.
It looks like Honda predication regarding sales figures of the new hybrid Insight has not reach the initial units of 90,000. Now, American Honda Vice President John Mendel, says that selling 50,000 units will be just fine, and will not put Honda on a difficult selling situation. A bit of disappointment since everyone was waiting a competitor model for the Toyota Prius for so long? Honda was expecting that the insight will sell about 200,000 units globally with half of them sold in North America."

Going from 90k predicted to just 50k, pretty much half of what they wanted.  Plus I hear Insights are selling at discounts while Priuses aren't moving much past MSRP.  Honda faceplanted on this one.

GoCougs

Not at all a "face plant," remember, there are markets outside the US, with the second largest being Honda's home turf, where the Insight is a big success (was #1 on the sales charts for April, and #3 the last couple of months behind the Prius and Fit).

ifcar

Quote from: 565 on July 02, 2009, 08:42:02 AM
Sales are suffering and Honda knows it.

http://www.s2ki.com/home/2009/06/16/honda-insight-sales-figures-not-as-predicted

"Honda Insight Sales figures not as predicted
Jun 16th, 2009 by energetic.
It looks like Honda predication regarding sales figures of the new hybrid Insight has not reach the initial units of 90,000. Now, American Honda Vice President John Mendel, says that selling 50,000 units will be just fine, and will not put Honda on a difficult selling situation. A bit of disappointment since everyone was waiting a competitor model for the Toyota Prius for so long? Honda was expecting that the insight will sell about 200,000 units globally with half of them sold in North America."

Going from 90k predicted to just 50k, pretty much half of what they wanted.  Plus I hear Insights are selling at discounts while Priuses aren't moving much past MSRP.  Honda faceplanted on this one.

The Prius is still going for sticker because the Insight has been out longer.

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on July 02, 2009, 08:55:46 AM
Not at all a "face plant," remember, there are markets outside the US, with the second largest being Honda's home turf, where the Insight is a big success (was #1 on the sales charts for April, and #3 the last couple of months behind the Prius and Fit).

It's mostly due to size and cost.  You have to remember the Insight in the US (MSRP) starts at 20k and goes up to 23k "fully equipped"  On the other hand, the Prius comes in at 23k and going up to 30k.  They're not exactly direct competitors. 

What Insight is is really a compact hybrid car that got major cost cutting to keep it affordable and it shows.  While it's not what it once was, I think there's some value to it, at least when compared to other hybrids.  Well, it did win the MT comparo between the Insight and the Prius but I don't know how much weight their ranking gets today.

ifcar

Quote from: NomisR on July 02, 2009, 09:33:22 AM
It's mostly due to size and cost.  You have to remember the Insight in the US (MSRP) starts at 20k and goes up to 23k "fully equipped"  On the other hand, the Prius comes in at 23k and going up to 30k.  They're not exactly direct competitors. 

What Insight is is really a compact hybrid car that got major cost cutting to keep it affordable and it shows.  While it's not what it once was, I think there's some value to it, at least when compared to other hybrids.  Well, it did win the MT comparo between the Insight and the Prius but I don't know how much weight their ranking gets today.

The Insight starts at $19,800. The Prius starts at $22,000, but at that price is comparably-equipped to the Insight EX, which is $21,300. (There is no decontented Prius that's the equivalent of the Insight LX yet, but a "Prius I" with no cruise control and missing some other features is apparently on the way.)

That was Honda's problem. It tried to make the Insight less than the Prius but for less money, but instead it's much less than the Prius for nearly the same price.

NomisR

Quote from: ifcar on July 02, 2009, 09:40:21 AM
The Insight starts at $19,800. The Prius starts at $22,000, but at that price is comparably-equipped to the Insight EX, which is $21,300. (There is no decontented Prius that's the equivalent of the Insight LX yet, but a "Prius I" with no cruise control and missing some other features is apparently on the way.)

That was Honda's problem. It tried to make the Insight less than the Prius but for less money, but instead it's much less than the Prius for nearly the same price.

Well, but if you look at it for what it is.  You get what the "previous", (the version that's running about right now, not gen1) for significantly less.  I think that's their goal.  You get the similar mileage at a lower cost. 

Seriously, if you think about it.. if you have the money, why the hell do you care about how much you're spending on gas.  It'll be considered, sure, but not at the same extent as people that are less well off.  So it makes sense to aim lower especially at the current economies. 

And this would make the car more global as well.  Now if Honda introduces a diesel hybrid, it might actually be popular in Europe too.

2o6

Quote from: Submariner on July 02, 2009, 07:51:38 AM

Apples to oranges. Hybrids aren't meant for the freeway.

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on July 02, 2009, 09:40:21 AM

Why the hell would you leave out cruise control (which is probably just a button and vaporware on a car with an electronic throttle linkage) on a car designed to get the best possible fuel mileage?

Byteme

Toyota sold 12,998 Prius in June while Honda sold 2,079 Insights.

Honda's car sales were down 35.1% in June over June 2008.  Toyota's dropped 37.9%

GoCougs

Quote from: NomisR on July 02, 2009, 09:33:22 AM

IMO it's almost entirely due to the Prius brand. The Insight could be better in all respects and the sales results would be little changed.

Vinsanity

Quote from: TBR on July 02, 2009, 10:32:52 AM
Why the hell would you leave out cruise control (which is probably just a button and vaporware on a car with an electronic throttle linkage) on a car designed to get the best possible fuel mileage?

That's exactly what I was wondering. If I want to stretch my mpg's, I use cruise control. Otherwise, I don't want to be bothered with some hypermiling bullshit. A Prius without cruise control is like a Honduh Type-R witout Vtak.

ifcar

Quote from: NomisR on July 02, 2009, 10:10:26 AM
Well, but if you look at it for what it is.  You get what the "previous", (the version that's running about right now, not gen1) for significantly less.  I think that's their goal.  You get the similar mileage at a lower cost. 

That was the idea, and it's a sound idea. The problem is you get neither similar mileage nor lower cost.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on July 02, 2009, 10:32:52 AM

You leave out the cruise control so no one will want to buy it and will therefore step up to a higher version. My uncle spent thousands extra for an Odyssey EX over an LX simply for the cruise control.

Cookie Monster

I would take the Insight over the Prius just because the Prius looks so damn bad.

But in reality, I would take the Jetta TDI any day of the week before either of them. Looks much better, has a manual and gets better MPG's. Too bad people still have that bad diesel stigma because driving a diesel Jetta is so much better than driving either a Prius or an Insight.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ifcar

Quote from: thecarnut on July 02, 2009, 11:46:24 AM

But in reality, I would take the Jetta TDI any day of the week before either of them. Looks much better, has a manual and gets better MPG's.

It doesn't get better mileage.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: ifcar on July 02, 2009, 11:48:24 AM
It doesn't get better mileage.
It doesn't? I thought it gets close to 50 mpg highway?

Or that's what I thought it said in the commercials...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R