Say goodbye to Mustang's sequential turn signals

Started by SVT666, July 02, 2009, 01:31:07 PM

JWC

Quote from: 2o6 on July 11, 2009, 07:54:05 PM
One: We're talking about new cars.

Two: Yet again. WE ARE NOT SIMPLY REFERRING TO THE CAR DIRECLY IN FRONT OF YOU.

Really?

Most of the posts so far have indicated that it is the car in front of you.

The point of the "older" cars is to show that amber has been available in the US for quite some time.  Right now, you have a choice--red or amber, which ever makes you feel safer.

2o6

Quote from: JWC on July 11, 2009, 08:07:26 PM
Really?

Most of the posts so far have indicated that it is the car in front of you.

The point of the "older" cars is to show that amber has been available in the US for quite some time.  Right now, you have a choice--red or amber, which ever makes you feel safer.

A Kia rio has amber signal lights. Would you take one over a better car in the same class because of it's lights?

CJ

At least make turn signal and brake lights separate bulbs.  That is very annoying...Ford, GM...that means you. 

ChrisV

Quote from: 2o6 on July 11, 2009, 04:53:35 PM

And look how many NEW cars don't.

*sigh* can't even keep up with the discussion, can you?

John said he has to wait until the new regulation goes into affect in order to get a car with ambers so HE can be safe. I was pointing out how AMBERS ARE ALREADY AVAILABLE IN THE US AND HAVE BEEN FOR DECADES. So HE can already BUY a car with ambers if HE wants to feel safe while driving, or wants to keep his loved ones save, or allow the choice to be safe for anyone else. HE DOESN'T NEED A NEW REGULATION TO DO THAT.

And 1) we ARE talking about the car directly in front of you causing confusion momentarily. You won't crash into a car that ISN'T directly in front of you.. :rolleyes:

And 2) we are talking about the car YOU are in, and being visible to others. You don't NEED a regulation to buy a car with ambers NOW.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 11, 2009, 04:00:34 PM
They already do. There are so many regulations that anyone selling cars in the US has to follow, your head would spin.
So I figure that
a- amber IS safer (no one has been able to refute this in 11 pages. Many have said that it shouldn't be safer because everyone should be as good at differentiating between red turnsignals and red brake lights the same as amber turnsignals and red brake lights ...)
b- Therefore, changing a few paragraphs of EXISTING regulations is nothing to get upset about.

*sigh* I'm tired of the amount of existing regulations, and I want to stop just pilining on for no factual reason.

Yes, ambers are a bit safer, so you now have the choice to buy them if you want to feel safer in your own car. STOP IT AT THAT.

Quote---------------------------------
What line won't I cross? well, I certainly drive much faster than 25mph. And actually, 25mph still wouldn't stop all vehicular deaths. There was some teen running across the street and got hit and killed in a 20mph zone in my hometown, so that's not true at all.
Your "25mph commonsense test" = FAIL

1) I wasn't talking about pedestrians, I was talking about drivers and passengers IN cars. Ambers won't help pedestrians, either. if we want to talk about pedestrians, we'd have to lower the number to like 4 mph or some stupid shit like that. And hell, some big old tank hitting you at 4mph might still knock you down, and you crack your head and die. So to be safe, let's just ban cars. That would be really safe. but we don't want that, now do we?

2) My "25 mph" was a random low number thrown out there to point out that you don't want to lower the driving speed to some stupid number that might actually BE safe for the driver. You don't want REAL safety. You want to drive fast with the ILLUSION of safety.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

JWC

Quote from: 2o6 on July 11, 2009, 08:10:19 PM
A Kia rio has amber signal lights. Would you take one over a better car in the same class because of it's lights?

If I felt it made me safer, then yes.  When buying a car all factors should be taken into account, fuel mileage, reliability, and safety.  If my perception is that the Rio is the safest car in my price range because of the turn signals, that would be the deciding factor.   

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 11, 2009, 07:39:29 PM
Oh that was the problem. He thought I was changing lanes.

Ok I give you +2 funny for that one.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ChrisV on July 12, 2009, 08:36:37 AM
You don't want REAL safety. You want to drive fast with the ILLUSION of safety.

nuh-huh.

I want to be completely safe.
The only fool-proof method of this would be to make myself to be the only driver. Everyone else must walk or ride bikes following ALL existing traffic regulations. Roads must be maintained in the HIGHEST state of repair possible, lest I hit a pothole and die. I will use my (amber/red: pick one and only one) turn signals at all times so pedestrians and bicyclists can get out of the way fast enough. All railroad crossings will be re-engineered so they go under or over the roadway. Buildings will be built the same distance away from the roadway as they are tall- in case an earthquake knocks them over, I don't want them to fall on me while driving.

It's a tough job, but I'll be required to drive ALL roads in the US so I can tell them how fast the speed limit should be on each stretch of pavement, and put up the appropriate signs. Asphalt will be illegal, because it cracks easier and is just ugly.

And UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES will my wife be allowed to drive.
Will

mzziaz

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 12, 2009, 10:50:39 AM
And UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES will my wife be allowed to drive.

Uhm, I though you were responsible for the most recent crash in the family. Time to hand over the wheel to your better half, perhaps?

:lol:
Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: mzziaz on July 12, 2009, 12:48:12 PM
Uhm, I though you were responsible for the most recent crash in the family. Time to hand over the wheel to your better half, perhaps?

:lol:

Well, yes, I'm responsible for both of mine, she got hit twice too. And she gives me crap for this last one, as well as always does a triple check at stop signs for me.  :rolleyes: She pretends like she's not, but I see her.  :frown:

Her driving still scares me. And she agrees that she doesn't do it well.
Will

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on July 12, 2009, 08:30:13 AM
*sigh* can't even keep up with the discussion, can you?

John said he has to wait until the new regulation goes into affect in order to get a car with ambers so HE can be safe. I was pointing out how AMBERS ARE ALREADY AVAILABLE IN THE US AND HAVE BEEN FOR DECADES. So HE can already BUY a car with ambers if HE wants to feel safe while driving, or wants to keep his loved ones save, or allow the choice to be safe for anyone else. HE DOESN'T NEED A NEW REGULATION TO DO THAT.

And 1) we ARE talking about the car directly in front of you causing confusion momentarily. You won't crash into a car that ISN'T directly in front of you.. :rolleyes:

And 2) we are talking about the car YOU are in, and being visible to others. You don't NEED a regulation to buy a car with ambers NOW.

Sure I can buy a 74 Mustang II or other used car car with amber turn signals.  In fact I can buy many new cars with amber turn signals, but.................

An older car with amber turn signals likely doesn't have the latest technology and safety features of a new car, nor does it have a new car warranty.

I wouldn't buy a car based solely on the color of it's turn signals but it would be nice to be able to buy the car of my choice with that little added margin of safety.

BTW, you have consistantly misinterpreted, or embellished, what I have posted.   ;)

My last post on this topic.