Pick the 5 most influential cars

Started by Vinsanity, July 09, 2009, 08:44:14 PM

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19221.msg1108733#msg1108733 date=1247244085
Would we have a Mustang were it not for the GTO? 

Not the GTO, the Corvair.

To sell Henry Ford II on producing the Mustang Lee Iacocca linded up all the Ford models in a row and then lined up all the competing Chevrolet models across from them.  He left a void in the Ford line across from the Corvair.  Henry approved the project.

Onslaught

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 10, 2009, 10:13:32 AM
It could be argued that the Top 5 most influential cars of all time are all...Fords.

2. Ford Mustang - No explanation needed

4. Ford Taurus - Redefined the family sedan

Not so sure about the Taurus being that influential.

And I for one don't see why everyone is putting the Mustang on the list. It wasn't the first muscle car and it's not the best either. Just because they've sold an ass load of them isn't making it influential.
Popular? Yes. But influential or ground breaking? Hell no.

NomisR

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the NSX

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on July 10, 2009, 12:20:57 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the NSX
I was thinking about it. It did show that a "exotic" car could be reliable and not cost you an arm and leg to keep going.

ifcar

Quote from: Onslaught on July 10, 2009, 12:17:01 PM
Not so sure about the Taurus being that influential.

And I for one don't see why everyone is putting the Mustang on the list. It wasn't the first muscle car and it's not the best either. Just because they've sold an ass load of them isn't making it influential.
Popular? Yes. But influential or ground breaking? Hell no.

I agree on the Mustang, but not the Taurus. For an idea of its influence, compare it to the family sedans others were rolling out. Everyone else was staying traditional to whatever their traditions had been, both the American and Japanese automakers. Then both groups starting moving quickly towards Taurus-type designs.

NomisR

Lets not forget the Caravan too.. or is that not considered a car.

Onslaught

Quote from: ifcar on July 10, 2009, 12:22:25 PM
I agree on the Mustang, but not the Taurus. For an idea of its influence, compare it to the family sedans others were rolling out. Everyone else was staying traditional to whatever their traditions had been, both the American and Japanese automakers. Then both groups starting moving quickly towards Taurus-type designs.
That's why I wasn't going to argue about the Taurus all that much.

Quote from: NomisR on July 10, 2009, 12:28:55 PM
I put it on my list.

ifcar

Quote from: NomisR on July 10, 2009, 12:28:55 PM

I'd say its influence has fallen off as the segment it created declines in popularity.

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on July 10, 2009, 10:41:25 AM
Would we have a Mustang were it not for the GTO? 

Considering that the Mustang came out at the same year, and as an all new car, it was in development years before John Z simply dropped a big engine in a tempest, yeah we'd have got the Mustang regardless.

More importantly, would we have the GTO is Ford hadn't handed GM it's ass on the drag strip with the 427 Thunderbolt a year earlier? (the exact same formula: big V8 in a production intermediate, sold to the public).

As for the Corvair, Ford was already competing with the Corvair with the compact Falcon, and even had performance versions if it with the V8 before the Mustang showed up (using the exact same chassis and mechanical bits, even).

And as for musclecars in general...

There were already full size musclecars from the big 3 by 1961-62, years before the GTO. 427 Lightweight Galaxies, 409 and 427 Impalas, Super Stock Dodges, but none of them would have been around had it not been for the '55 Chrysler 300 and Dodge D5000 (the first car advertised as a musclecar in fact).
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Onslaught

Well that just proves my point then. The Mustang didn't start the muscle cars existence and it didn't do anything better than the others except sell well. It didn't break any new ground and it actually has been stuck in the past if anything in some ways.

I'm not bashing it by the way before the Ford fan boys tear me a new one. I just don't think it should be on this list.

Byteme

Quote from: Onslaught on July 10, 2009, 12:39:13 PM
Well that just proves my point then. The Mustang didn't start the muscle cars existence and it didn't do anything better than the others except sell well. It didn't break any new ground and it actually has been stuck in the past if anything in some ways.

I'm not bashing it by the way before the Ford fan boys tear me a new one. I just don't think it should be on this list.

It only established an entire new segment of the industry, the "pony car" which collectively sold close to or over half a million cars a year in the 60's.

Onslaught

Quote from: Byteme on July 10, 2009, 12:43:18 PM
It only established an entire new segment of the industry, the "pony car" which collectively sold close to or over half a million cars a year in the 60's.
It's one that HELPED start an entire segment. But it didn't start it. And they would have sold with or without it. Not as many naturally. And it didn't bring anything all that new to the table.

The Miata is the all time best selling selling convertible. But it didn't start anything other than bringing back cars like it. And it's just a blatant Japanese rip off British roadsters. (Yes, bitch at me for calling them roadsters.)
But it in no ways should be on the list just because it's sold well and helped bring back the small convertible. Just like the Mustang didn't do anything other then drive off the lot fast.

ChrisV

I'm going to agree with Onslaught.

While the Mustang really exploded the segment, just like the GTO did, both were heavily influenced by a couple important previous cars. Since we're discussing influential, vs popular, the influence of the Chrysler 300 and Dodge D500 on creating the musclecar genre, and really forcing the creation of the most popular cars of those genres, can't be overlooked. The Mustang and GTO were variations on the musclecar formula, but neither were the first of their particular niche, either (the Falcon Sprint and ChevyII SS came before the Mustang, and the Ford Thunderbolt and Dodge Ramcharger forced the creation of the GTO.

Pommes-T

Ford T - it revolutioned not only the car industry, but the whole industry
VW Beetle - The first affordable car for many germans, monument for the re-rising of germany, first VW, and simply a damn cool car
Mercedes Patent Motorwagen - the first one has to be influential
VW T1 - the first van
Willys Jeep - first "Jeep", important for cooperations between the military and the car industry
'00 BMW 523i

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on July 10, 2009, 01:07:04 PM
I'm going to agree with Onslaught.

While the Mustang really exploded the segment, just like the GTO did, both were heavily influenced by a couple important previous cars. Since we're discussing influential, vs popular, the influence of the Chrysler 300 and Dodge D500 on creating the musclecar genre, and really forcing the creation of the most popular cars of those genres, can't be overlooked. The Mustang and GTO were variations on the musclecar formula, but neither were the first of their particular niche, either (the Falcon Sprint and ChevyII SS came before the Mustang, and the Ford Thunderbolt and Dodge Ramcharger forced the creation of the GTO.

True, however it wasn't those original cars that influenced everyone else to build the onslaught of muscle cars that were being built in the late 60s and early 70s.  That was the Mustang that did that.  If the Mustang hadn't been so popular, then the other cars would have never been produced.

Byteme

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 10, 2009, 01:57:34 PM
True, however it wasn't those original cars that influenced everyone else to build the onslaught of muscle cars that were being built in the late 60s and early 70s.  That was the Mustang that did that.  If the Mustang hadn't been so popular, then the other cars would have never been produced.

Yup, without the the Mustang there would have been no Camaro, Cougar, Firebird, Javelin or Challenger.  One could argue the Celica was Toyota's response to the Mustang.

JWC

Quote from: Byteme on July 10, 2009, 02:10:31 PM
Yup, without the the Mustang there would have been no Camaro, Cougar, Firebird, Javelin or Challenger.  One could argue the Celica was Toyota's response to the Mustang.

And the Mustang started a new segment for the auto industry...the "personal" car.  It was introduced as a sedate "sports-like" coupe.  Before the Mustang, the young professional was stuck with buying a really expensive Corvette, an overweight T-Bird, or a two-door version of the family four door sedan. 

I remember seeing TV ads for the Mustang and it was geared more toward secretaries than performance.

NomisR

Quote from: JWC on July 10, 2009, 02:14:06 PM
And the Mustang started a new segment for the auto industry...the "personal" car.  It was introduced as a sedate "sports-like" coupe.  Before the Mustang, the young professional was stuck with buying a really expensive Corvette, an overweight T-Bird, or a two-door version of the family four door sedan. 

I remember seeing TV ads for the Mustang and it was geared more toward secretaries than performance.

So it was influential in that.. it shows marketing to women actually helps boost sales.

ChrisV

I can see your point, however I really think that only the Camaro/Firebird were influenced by the Mustangs success, while everything else was influenced by the big and medium Mopars that were really tearing up the dragstrips in the early '60s. THose cars spawnd teh Thunderbolt and GTO, but also the Chevelles, Torino Cobras, etc. with the Novas being influenced by the Falcons and Darts (which evolved in the barracuda, and then just 'Cuda). And while teh 300 and D500 were the inspiration for musclecars in general (and inspired the creation of the Fuelie Chevy 210 and Bel Air), it was the Max Wedge Dodges in '62-63 that really got GM off the "no factory race cars" kick and inspired the entire '60s Musclecar/drag car scene. Without it, there would be no factory drag cars from Ford or GM.

Gotta-Qik-C7

'83 S10 Blazer-The original pint sized SUV.
'48 Caddy-Made tailfins a must have.
Audi 5000-Changed the way cars were styled in the 80s.
Yugo GV-Taught the world that you get what you pay for!
Escalade- Made all the premium brands build a full sized luxo truck.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Onslaught

I also understand what you guys are getting at. But I just don't feel that the Mustang should be on the to 5 list.

Top 10 or 20 would be something else.

ifcar

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 10, 2009, 02:26:15 PM

Escalade- Made all the premium brands build a full sized luxo truck.

That would be the Navigator if you go that route.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I picked the 'Slade bacause even though it came after the Navi it is the one that changed the game.

TBR

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 10, 2009, 02:28:50 PM
I picked the 'Slade bacause even though it came after the Navi it is the one that changed the game.

In that case you would have to qualify it with 2nd generation Escalade.

ifcar

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 10, 2009, 02:28:50 PM

The Escalade was quickly rolled out because of the Navigator's success. It was the one that made Cadillac, and then, by extension, everyone else, follow suit.

Insignificant full-size luxury SUV: Lexus LX450. Significant: Navigator.

Colin

Very hard to limit this to just 5.

Depends on how you interpret the word "influential", too.......... if I take it to mean a car which profoundly changed the market or the sort of cars that were then produced by a whole succession of other manufacturers, you could argue a case for (among others), all these, some of which have been listed (some, many times):

Ford Model T - for mass production, and bringing motring to the masses
VW Beetle - Need I say more?
the 1959 Mini - not the first FWD car, but one which set the trend for most small cars to head this way
Renault R16 - not the first hatchback, but set the trend which every volume European and Japanese seller followed for 30 years or so
Toyota Corolla - the first volume selling Japanese car, with all that followed in terms of Japanese levels of reliability, quality, value etc
Fiat 127 - the first true "supermini", quickly followed by the Renault R5, Ford Fiesta and and and
VW Golf - let's call out the Gti, setting the trend for the hot hatch
Audi Quattro - first car to show the performance advantages of 4WD
Chrysler Group Minivans and Renault Espace - first vehicles to popularise the minivan in their respective continents
Toyota Prius - for all it has done on hybrid technology

But you could easily add:

Cadillac - first electric starter
Chrysler Airflow - aerodynamics
Volvo Amazon - development of seat belts
Mercedes S Class - development of anti-lock brakes
Not sure to whom you give the credit for transforming the image of the diesel engine, and volume sales - probably the 1978 VW Golf Diesel
Range Rover - upmarket 4WD combined with utility
BMW 3 series - for the fact that everyone wanted one, and now nearly everyone seems to have one

What about?

BMW 2002 Turbo - or even the 1962 GM cars for use of the turbo charger?
Triumph Dolomite Sprint - innovative use of the 16v engine, 10 - 15 years before anyone else much offered them
Matra Rancho - the faux 4x4, based on humble (Simca 1100) mechanicals
Citroen DS - just because.......
Lamborghini Muira - probably the first true "super car" (or was that the Countach?)

Limiting it to 5 is really difficult...........

Oh, and as most of you are Americans, you may spot a rather more European bias to this than you would have come up with. Ask yourself what were the real innovations and where they started............. (he says and ducks for cover!)     

NomisR

Quote from: Colin on July 10, 2009, 02:36:00 PM
Lamborghini Muira - probably the first true "super car" (or was that the Countach?)

I would say Countach.

ChrisV

Quote from: JWC on July 10, 2009, 02:14:06 PM

or a Falcon Sprint V8, Chevy II SS, or V8 Dart ;)

Virtually identical to the Mustang in and out, it got the V8 in spring of '63.

Both these cars influenced the Mustang, and the Falcon was directly responsible for it's existence.

Gotta-Qik-C7

The Countach was the definition of sexy!

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA