Pick the 5 most influential cars

Started by Vinsanity, July 09, 2009, 08:44:14 PM

Rupert

Quote from: NomisR on July 10, 2009, 02:54:44 PM
Countach > 300SL

Maybe so, but the 300SL was the first supercar. Unless you insist on supercars being mid-engined, in which case it's the Miura. It is certainly not the Countach, as cool as it is.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

And besides, this is the cooler Countach:

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

I'm going to list a couple that haven't been mentioned yet:

Datsun/Nissan 240Z: The first Japanese car that people went crazy over, long waiting lists, lots of buzz, forced Japanese to be taken seriously from then on

Cadillac Cimarron: Everything that was wrong with General Motors, badge engineering at its worst

Toyota Prius: The poster child for the current green car fad

1932 Ford (first year of flathead V8): First car to bring performance to the average joe, reversal of Ford's previous stance ("Engines should have no more cylinders than a cow has teets"), car of choice for Bonnie and Clyde, American hot rod icon

Hummer H2: the SUV that made it evil to drive a fullsize SUV

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on July 10, 2009, 12:20:57 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the NSX

Quote from: Onslaught on July 10, 2009, 12:22:07 PM
I was thinking about it. It did show that a "exotic" car could be reliable and not cost you an arm and leg to keep going.

But it's not like it's as cheap to run as an RSX either. 

But while the NSX may have been the first reliable supercar (and I use this term to describe it in its heyday), was it really all that influential?  It was the showcase for VTEC.  There's one big point for it there.  Now, many cars have similar systems.  That's a good bit of influence, you can't argue with that.  But according to Wikipedia (I know, I know), the first fitted VTEC system went to the 1989 Integra, not the 1991 NSX.  So it was reliable, but did it really change anything?  Because of it, did people start running 355s and Testarossas everyday?  It didn't pioneer mid-engine technology either (what was the first mid-engine car, anyway?  Was it the Miura?), and one could also argue that the contemporary Porsche 911 was every bit the reliable, daily car the NSX was, but being more practical could even give it the edge.  (This is where I note that I do not indeed consider the 911 a supercar, nor do I or did I consider the NSX to be one either.)

And then there's the fact that influenced, again, a smaller portion of the market than a car like the Mustang would have.  It's kind of like the Mclaren F1, but a stronger case could be made for the NSX. 

And, as always, this is all just my opinion.  I'm not an expert automotive historian.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 10, 2009, 03:48:57 PM
Toyota Prius: The poster child for the current green car fad

Just to nitpick, I'd said Prius, and I think someone else had as well.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on July 10, 2009, 10:41:25 AM
Would we have a Mustang were it not for the GTO? 

Yes.  The Mustang was not originally a musclecar and it was not brought out to compete with musclecars.  It was part of a new class of car.  It was the archtype of the pony car.  It could be thought of as an early sort of sport-compact.  Ford's target for the Mustang was the Chevy Corvair, another sporty compact of the time.  A couple of Mustang versions might be argued to be musclecars (the big block cars like the GT500KR), but the model line as a whole was not a musclecar.  Would we have seen the big block Mustangs were it not for the musclecar craze?  Probably not, but I certainly think that there would still be a Mustang.

The GTO was a specific trim of the Tempest.  It was an ordinary midsize family car with a big engine dropped into.  Regular Tempest trims were not musclecars.  Meanwhile, a Mustang is a pony car regardless of what engine it has.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: Byteme on July 10, 2009, 11:02:00 AM
Not the GTO, the Corvair.

To sell Henry Ford II on producing the Mustang Lee Iacocca linded up all the Ford models in a row and then lined up all the competing Chevrolet models across from them.  He left a void in the Ford line across from the Corvair.  Henry approved the project.

Quote from: MX793 on July 10, 2009, 04:37:41 PM
Yes.  The Mustang was not originally a musclecar and it was not brought out to compete with musclecars.  It was part of a new class of car.  It was the archtype of the pony car.  It could be thought of as an early sort of sport-compact.  Ford's target for the Mustang was the Chevy Corvair, another sporty compact of the time.  A couple of Mustang versions might be argued to be musclecars (the big block cars like the GT500KR), but the model line as a whole was not a musclecar.  Would we have seen the big block Mustangs were it not for the musclecar craze?  Probably not, but I certainly think that there would still be a Mustang.

The GTO was a specific trim of the Tempest.  It was an ordinary midsize family car with a big engine dropped into.  Regular Tempest trims were not musclecars.  Meanwhile, a Mustang is a pony car regardless of what engine it has.

Interesting.  I never really thought of the Corvair and Mustang as competitors mainly due to engine layout.  I had an opportunity to look at a Corvair Monza convertible once; I got a really good look.  The car was going for too much money, otherwise I would have bought one (there were too, a coupe and convertible).

If I ever do buy one, how quickly will it kill me?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on July 10, 2009, 04:44:35 PM
Interesting.  I never really thought of the Corvair and Mustang as competitors mainly due to engine layout.  I had an opportunity to look at a Corvair Monza convertible once; I got a really good look.  The car was going for too much money, otherwise I would have bought one (there were too, a coupe and convertible).

If I ever do buy one, how quickly will it kill me?

My father had a couple of Corvairs (Monzas, as I recall, I even think at least one of them was the Spyder) as a young man and has always contended that they handled fine.  I'd like to pick up a Monza coupe someday when I have more disposable income and garage space.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on July 10, 2009, 04:51:25 PM
My father had a couple of Corvairs (Monzas, as I recall, I even think at least one of them was the Spyder) as a young man and has always contended that they handled fine.  I'd like to pick up a Monza coupe someday when I have more disposable income and garage space.

It all just was Ralph Nader being a goofball?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: MX793 on July 10, 2009, 04:37:41 PM
Yes.  The Mustang was not originally a musclecar and it was not brought out to compete with musclecars.  It was part of a new class of car.  It was the archtype of the pony car.  It could be thought of as an early sort of sport-compact.  Ford's target for the Mustang was the Chevy Corvair, another sporty compact of the time. 

Ford's competition for the Corvair was the Falcon Sprint, and even earlier sport compact than the Mustang. Same with the SS Nova. A compact with Super Sport in the name. ;) By the time the Mustang arrived, the Corvair was dwindling in sales.

Now, to be fair, the ORIGINAL Mustang show car was a 4 cyl, mid engine sports car... That was the intended competition to the Corvair. But even teh second prototype Mustang had moved away from that and became what was to be a step between the Falcon Sprint and the Thunderbird.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on July 10, 2009, 04:21:40 PM
(what was the first mid-engine car, anyway?  Was it the Miura?),

No. There had been mid engine cars for decades, though most had been race cars. Ferrari's own SP models in the early '60s, and 250 LM in the mid '60s predated the Miura, as did the aforementioned Mustang show car.

In fact, the Miura was the product of Lamborghini's group of young engineers wanting to build a street version of the Ford GT40 (Ghandini's body was even patterned after the GT40)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on July 10, 2009, 04:54:16 PM
It all just was Ralph Nader being a goofball?

Not entirely.  Nader's assault on the Corvair was actually aimed at the first couple of years of the Corvair which did exhibit some bad handling traits at the limit.  By the time Nader's book came out (a year before, actually), GM had already redesigned the suspension to address the tuck-under issues that Nader highlighted in Unsafe at Any Speed, but the book still did considerable damage to the car's reputation. 

Another interesting side note, the Corvair was one of the first two production car to use a turbocharged engine (the other being the Oldsmobile Cutlass F-85 Jetfire which debuted the same year with a turbo V8).
Needs more Jiggawatts

MX793

Quote from: ChrisV on July 10, 2009, 05:03:37 PM
Ford's competition for the Corvair was the Falcon Sprint, and even earlier sport compact than the Mustang. Same with the SS Nova. A compact with Super Sport in the name. ;) By the time the Mustang arrived, the Corvair was dwindling in sales.

Now, to be fair, the ORIGINAL Mustang show car was a 4 cyl, mid engine sports car... That was the intended competition to the Corvair. But even teh second prototype Mustang had moved away from that and became what was to be a step between the Falcon Sprint and the Thunderbird.

Mustang was really levied specifically at the Corvair Monza.  Obviously, they had the Falcon to contend with the other Corvair variants such as the sedan.  Although the more traditional Falcon really wasn't as successful at luring buyers who might have otherwise bought an import like a VW as the Corvair was thanks to the Corvair's more unusual (dare I say "exotic") styling and layout.
Needs more Jiggawatts

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ifcar on July 10, 2009, 04:28:28 PM
Just to nitpick, I'd said Prius, and I think someone else had as well.

I know. That's why I said "a couple" and not "all".

Vinsanity

The Mustang's story is quite similar to that of the Explorer. Sure, there were successful cars in their respective segments (GTO, Cherokee) that predated the models in question, but these two cars changed their segments in a major way, and established themselves as the leaders in the game.

2o6

1. Ford Taurus - Got the gov't to end the square, sealed-beam headlights. Design also influenced many a car of it's heyday.

2. Honda Civic - Showed the US that foreign cars can be reliable and fun

3. Ford Explorer - Created the SUV/CUV market as we know it; glorified minivans.

4. Toyota Prius - It's annoying, but it proves that proper marketing and advanced technology will make Americans buy a slow car

5. Dodge Caravan - Created the Minivan segment. Duh.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on July 10, 2009, 10:42:07 AM
It didn't start the craze. It just profited the most from it.

According to Lee Iacocca, it did.  The 4-door Bronco II replacement tore the market open upon the success of the Cherokee.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on July 10, 2009, 06:45:35 PM
According to Lee Iacocca, it did.  The 4-door Bronco II replacement tore the market open upon the success of the Cherokee.

But it wasn't as if the Explorer created a demand. It benefited from a demand for existing products by offering a comfort improvement over them.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on July 10, 2009, 04:21:40 PM
But it's not like it's as cheap to run as an RSX either. 

But while the NSX may have been the first reliable supercar (and I use this term to describe it in its heyday), was it really all that influential?  It was the showcase for VTEC.  There's one big point for it there.  Now, many cars have similar systems.  That's a good bit of influence, you can't argue with that.  But according to Wikipedia (I know, I know), the first fitted VTEC system went to the 1989 Integra, not the 1991 NSX.  So it was reliable, but did it really change anything?  Because of it, did people start running 355s and Testarossas everyday?  It didn't pioneer mid-engine technology either (what was the first mid-engine car, anyway?  Was it the Miura?), and one could also argue that the contemporary Porsche 911 was every bit the reliable, daily car the NSX was, but being more practical could even give it the edge.  (This is where I note that I do not indeed consider the 911 a supercar, nor do I or did I consider the NSX to be one either.)

And then there's the fact that influenced, again, a smaller portion of the market than a car like the Mustang would have.  It's kind of like the Mclaren F1, but a stronger case could be made for the NSX. 

And, as always, this is all just my opinion.  I'm not an expert automotive historian.

I wouldn't put the NSX on the list of top five influential cars, but it introduced a lot of new technology to the market.  I'm pulling a quote from wikipedia (you started it :lol:), but all this info is easily verified from many sources.

QuoteThe NS-X was the first production car to feature: An all-aluminum chassis, suspension and body, incorporating a revolutionary extruded exotic aluminum alloy frame. The use of aluminum in the body alone saved nearly 200 kg in weight over the steel equivalent while the aluminum suspension saved an additional 20 kg; a suspension compliance pivot helped maintain wheel alignment changes at a near zero value;[3]an independent, 4-channel anti-lock brake system; titanium connecting rods in the engine to permit reliable high-rpm operation; an electric power steering system;[4] Honda's proprietary VTEC variable valve timing system (a first in the US); and in 1995 the first electronic throttle control.

That's quite an extensive list, and lots of things have trickled down to plebeian vehicles today.  Groundbreaking and influential, yes.  Top 5?  I wouldn't put it there.  But I do love the NSX, and it's a goal of mine to own one someday.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rich

an electric power steering system;

1995 the first electronic throttle control.

Fuck you NSX :heated: :lockedup: :rage: :hammerhead:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

68_427

Oldsmobile Toronado.

Sorry if it was mentioned before, I can't think of any five that haven't already been mentioned so I didn't bother.  :huh:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Early Civic- started the death of the American auto industry.
MK1 GTI- Showed you didn't need a V8 or RWD to build a fun car. Spawned so many spinoffs.
OG Taurus SHO- There were a few cool FWD sedans but this was the first complete conversion of its kind. MAde the Taurus a legitimate road car & IMO spawned the Maxima as we knew it at its peak.
E30 3-series- DURRRRRRRRRRRRR
Audi Quattro- The Northeast would be damn near uninhabitable without 4WD :rolleyes: No but seriously it def. made northern winters much easier. I want to say 95% of the luxury cars up here available with 4WD here are sold with it.

*EDIT* I wanted to put the NSX but assumed it had already made the list. To this day I don't think Ferrari has made a car as reliable.

Tave

Model T
Bug
F-Series and predecessors
LS400

I can only think of 4 :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Nethead

Quote from: Raza  on July 09, 2009, 09:02:42 PM
Yeah, I kind of ran out of ideas.

I think I meant "classless".  It was rather popular among the different socioeconomic classes, correct?

My mom's dad had one.  Red one.  Washed it every Sunday.  And he was a military man.

Back in the day, Mick Jagger's daily was a Mini Cooper.  And he wasn't a military man.
So many stairs...so little time...

Nethead

Corvairs:  One of the most unreliable Chevrolets ever sold, maybe THE most unreliable Chevrolet ever sold--the Nethead here was a Chevy salesman back in the day and we coulda run the dealership fully staffed by merely repairing Corvairs and selling "396" fender emblems for white trash to put on the front fenders of their smallblock '55 & '56 Chevies (jacked up in the front, tres chic when driving shirtless & buzzed while tossing Jos. A. Schlitz bottles at roadsigns).  Every morning when I'd get to work, the Corvairs would be lined up from the Service Department all the way around the curve & hillside that bounded the dealership on the east.  Half of our bays had Corvairs hoisted at any time of day, any day of the week.  Everything that could be wrong with an underengineered, cheaply built vehicle (consider the permutations & combinations possible here, and then double them) was wrong with those cars.  Actually, worse even than the Vega...

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Nethead on July 14, 2009, 10:52:20 AM
Corvairs:  One of the most unreliable Chevrolets ever sold, maybe THE most unreliable Chevrolet ever sold--the Nethead here was a Chevy salesman back in the day and we coulda run the dealership fully staffed by merely repairing Corvairs and selling "396" fender emblems for white trash to put on the front fenders of their smallblock '55 & '56 Chevies (jacked up in the front, tres chic when driving shirtless & buzzed while tossing Jos. A. Schlitz bottles at roadsigns).  Every morning when I'd get to work, the Corvairs would be lined up from the Service Department all the way around the curve & hillside that bounded the dealership on the east.  Half of our bays had Corvairs hoisted at any time of day, any day of the week.  Everything that could be wrong with an underengineered, cheaply built vehicle (consider the permutations & combinations possible here, and then double them) was wrong with those cars.  Actually, worse even than the Vega...

Still, a better car than the Mustang in almost every way.

Nethead

Quote from: ChrisV on July 10, 2009, 05:03:37 PM

Correct.  The Mustang never bothered to target the pathetic Corvair--the idea was an affordable performance coupe with 2+2 seating.  Conceived long before the GTO (Dan Gurney was taking automotive journalists & executive types for demo rides at Watkins Glen in 1962 in the Mustang I prototypes:  mid-engined, tube-framed, strictly two-occupants, and powered by the Ford of Germany Taunus (no, NOT Taurus) V4.  Very favorably received, but the ever-clever Lee Iacocca convinced Hank the Deuce that America just wasn't gonna go for such a vehicle in sufficient numbers to make the investment worthwhile (which Pontiac failed to comprehend before spending big bucks to develop and produce the Fiasco years later).

So the Mustang I was totally redesigned into the Mustang II (no, NOT the Mustang II of 1974) prototypes of 1963--to sensational reviews and acclaim.  There was no doubt this was gonna be a homer over the fence and out of the park, and the noticeably less costly (no removable hardtop, for starters) production derivatives hit the dealerships on April 17th of 1964.  22,000 orders were taken on that April 17th, and by April 17th of 1966 over 1,350,000 Mustangs were sold--not bad for 730 days...

Nethead

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 14, 2009, 11:14:27 AM
Still, a better car than the Mustang in almost every way.

Nick, you need to go back to drinking water--nickdrinkliquor just ain't working for you...

hotrodalex

Quote from: Psilos on July 10, 2009, 02:59:09 PM
Maybe so, but the 300SL was the first supercar. Unless you insist on supercars being mid-engined, in which case it's the Miura. It is certainly not the Countach, as cool as it is.

Eh, I'm not sure I consider it a supercar. I would go with more a super fast sports car.