VW GTI

Started by 93JC, July 11, 2009, 09:49:29 AM

93JC

You do realize I'm Canadian, right? So there's no underlying drive to 'buy American'. And the prices I quoted were in Canadian dollars, not US, so the krone may not have lost any value to the US dollar.

mzziaz

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2009, 01:58:41 PM
You do realize I'm Canadian, right?
Yes. We Europeans look upon you as ordinary Americans, only more civilized  :lol:

So there's no underlying drive to 'buy American'.
Isn?t Canada part of what you would consider as "America"?

And the prices I quoted were in Canadian dollars, not US, so the krone may not have lost any value to the US dollar.
IIRC, you quoted both. Last time I checked the US$ was about 6,4 NOK......and now it is about 6,5. Not that big a change, then. Last year, however, the US dollar was about 5,6 NOK.

[/quote]
Edit. This quoting went really bad. I guess I did a little too rough estimate of the currency rates in the original post.

Cuore Sportivo

93JC

Quote from: mzziaz on July 13, 2009, 02:06:51 PM
Isn´t Canada considered part of what you would consider as "America"?

Don't get me started on that argument. We've had it before.

QuoteIIRC, you quoted both. Last time I checked the US$ was about 6,4 NOK......and now it is about 6,5. Not that big a change, then. Last year, however, the US dollar was about 5,6 NOK.

No, I said you could get a Caliber for $13,000 (Canadian), even though its MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) is around $20,000 (Canadian).

mzziaz

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2009, 02:16:19 PM
Don't get me started on that argument. We've had it before.

No, I said you could get a Caliber for $13,000 (Canadian), even though its MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) is around $20,000 (Canadian).

OK, I misread you then. They are dumping prices in Europe as well.
Cuore Sportivo

SVT666

*cough* SS *cough*

93JC

Vinsanity

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2009, 02:35:40 PM
NO.

to be fair, the SS would solve the light overboosted steering problem with the regular Cobalt. I wonder why GM even bothered with the electrical steering BS.

TBR

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 13, 2009, 02:47:10 PM
to be fair, the SS would solve the light overboosted steering problem with the regular Cobalt. I wonder why GM even bothered with the electrical steering BS.

Fuel economy.

SVT666

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 13, 2009, 03:02:55 PM
Gets 30 mpg on the highway.

?

I was quite clearly talking about electric power steering.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2009, 12:46:25 PM
Anything new is interesting. I think a compact hatchback is a decent compromise between practicality, space and power. I don't have a family, but I would like the ability to carry a few passengers once in a while in comfort. This car is for me, but I may lend it to my mum or dad if they need a vehicle (this isn't a very big consideration though).

And I think the C30 is incredibly sexy. :wub:

Fair point.  I agree about the Volvo too, damn nice car.  But it sounds way overpriced in Canada.  Can't you import one?

I know you said new, but what about a used 130i?  I don't care for the looks but it's meant to be a great driver's car and supposedly it's no less practical than the Volvo.

Also, used S3?

93JC

I could import a C30, but it's a hassle. I'd have to pay a duty, taxes, get the instruments changed to metric, they probably won't honour the warranty, etc.

130i? What is this 130i you speak of? BMW only sells the 128i and 135i coupe and cabriolet here. And it's only been a year, so the selection of used ones is... small. :lol:

And again, what is this S3 you speak of? :tounge:

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2009, 04:04:06 PM
I could import a C30, but it's a hassle. I'd have to pay a duty, taxes, get the instruments changed to metric, they probably won't honour the warranty, etc.

If the gauges have metric on them in small numbers, they don't need to be changed.  The biggest problem is the exchange rate right now.

93JC

The Canadian speedometers only have km/h on them: I presume the US ones only have mph.

Besides that, factoring in the exchange rate it just isn't worth it. A US$22,000 car is really $25,000, and then if you factor GST all of a sudden it's a $26,000 car, and it ain't much of a deal. Plus I'd have to either have it shipped home or fly down and drive it back. And pay import duties.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2009, 04:34:21 PM
The Canadian speedometers only have km/h on them: I presume the US ones only have mph.

Not sure about the steaming turd known as the Cobalt, but a lot of our cars have selectable metric or standard readouts for the analog gauges.

CALL_911

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2009, 04:34:21 PM

No.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Still, the point remains that the VW is rubbish.  Get the Volvo.  You'll be happier anyway.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2009, 04:04:06 PM

130i? What is this 130i you speak of? BMW only sells the 128i and 135i coupe and cabriolet here. And it's only been a year, so the selection of used ones is... small. :lol:

And again, what is this S3 you speak of? :tounge:

:lol:

I knew BMW only sold the 1-series coupe in the US but I know you can get more hatches in Canada so I assumed the 1-series hatch was available there.

And the S3?  I'm honestly surprised it's not available...

93JC

Quote from: the Teuton on July 13, 2009, 05:46:20 PM
Still, the point remains that the VW is rubbish.  Get the Volvo.  You'll be happier anyway.

You mean test drive, enjoy immensely, and get the Mazda.

93JC

You can't really get any more hatches here than you can in the US, it's just that they're much more popular here.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2009, 06:11:28 PM
You can't really get any more hatches here than you can in the US, it's just that they're much more popular here.

I thought you could get a Civic hatch in Canada and the old Golf hatch too.

93JC

Nope, no Civic hatch. Not this generation. And yes, we do get the Mk IV Golf still, but then again we also get the Mk IV Jetta too. The only hatch I can think of that we have and the yanks don't is the Yaris 5-door, although I heard they would get it this year.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2009, 06:17:46 PM
Nope, no Civic hatch. Not this generation. And yes, we do get the Mk IV Golf still, but then again we also get the Mk IV Jetta too. The only hatch I can think of that we have and the yanks don't is the Yaris 5-door, although I heard they would get it this year.

We have that now. But we have the Scion xD and you don't.

You used to have a 5-door Accent that we didn't, though.

omicron

Beg, borrow, steal, spend a night with a sweaty Canadian seller - do whatever it takes.

93JC

Damn you and your peer pressure! :rage:

CALL_911

Quote from: 93JC on July 14, 2009, 08:15:17 AM

You've worked hard enough to blow $30k on a depreciating asset! :devil:

Dude, just go for it. srsly.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

omicron

Rich

Quote from: 93JC on July 14, 2009, 08:15:17 AM

Test drive the Mazda before you do, but I say go for it.  I like the variety we have on here, and I think it'd be cool to have a member with a C30
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 14, 2009, 04:48:58 PM
Test drive the Mazda before you do, but I say go for it.  I like the variety we have on here, and I think it'd be cool to have a member with a C30

Yeah, why not?  It's not as good as a GTI, but it's something different and more expensive.  Sounds like a deal to me!  :lol:

(Seriously, no kidding here: if you like the car better, then by all means, get it.)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.