Does anyone else dislike the IS Convertible?

Started by 2o6, July 13, 2009, 02:47:40 PM

Raza

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 13, 2009, 11:10:15 PM
Am I the only one who still prefers a softtop? With the exception of the SL and XLR there's not many hardtop verts that I like.

No, you're not.

I think we are though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CJ

They both have their places. 

I'll take mine in dark blue with a 6-speed manual, please.

2o6

Hardtops are OK, but IMO soft tops look classier. Also, hardtop verts' usually have to distort the proportions to get the top to fold into the car, and it ends up looking awkward. It's especially bad on B and C segment cars.

The Focus is OK

Megane is the best looking

Astra is OK

Raza

I like the Eos.  But I still think it looks awkward with the roof up and it can't get around the fact that as soon as you put the top down, you lose all luggage space.  And space is probably why you bought a FWD four place over a RWD two seater in the first place.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Hachee

I can't believe how all those cars look so similar.  And all dull, IMO, including the Eos.  And for the record, I like "plain" looking VW's, like the Golf and last-gen Passat, but the Eos just looks wimpy to me. 

Speaking of soft top 4 seaters, I'm eyeing a 95 E320 Cabriolet, but just not sure if I have the guts to bite.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: CJ on July 14, 2009, 11:36:19 AM
They both have their places. 

I'll take mine in dark blue with a 6-speed manual, please.

The rear is too long for the front.

Quote from: 2o6 on July 14, 2009, 11:37:38 AM
Hardtops are OK, but IMO soft tops look classier. Also, hardtop verts' usually have to distort the proportions to get the top to fold into the car, and it ends up looking awkward. It's especially bad on B and C segment cars.

The Focus is OK

Megane is the best looking

Astra is OK

If you're actually claiming they look decent, you've obviously never seen them in person!

Tave

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 14, 2009, 12:40:55 PM
The rear is too long for the front.

The front is too short for the rear. ;)

It does have a stubby nose, but I still rather like it. Then again I like the long rear deck of the 350Z roadster.

I think it would be boring if every car shared the same proportions.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

cawimmer430

Ah, I see. Yeah, Lexus doesn't sell the '350 engine here except in the GS I think. We don't even get the RX350 anymore, only the hybrid.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

Quote from: Hachee on July 14, 2009, 12:24:59 PM
I can't believe how all those cars look so similar.  And all dull, IMO, including the Eos.  And for the record, I like "plain" looking VW's, like the Golf and last-gen Passat, but the Eos just looks wimpy to me. 

Speaking of soft top 4 seaters, I'm eyeing a 95 E320 Cabriolet, but just not sure if I have the guts to bite.

Realllllly?  My dad has a 95" Cabriolet.  White with a black top. 

While bulletproof mechanically, it's a car you baby, not one you drive through the winter.  Keep that in mind.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

ChrisV

Raza, I like soft tops, though the hard top is easier to make secure when leaving it parked somewhere, and more weathertight, at least for a few years.

but I actually like the BMW 335 convert. Perfect lines with the top down, a nice sweep to it.

But I also like how it keeps the Hoffmeister kink and a decent coupe roofline with the top up...

Of course, by the time I could likely afford one, that over-complex hard top will likely have so many failure points....
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Hachee

Quote from: Submariner on July 14, 2009, 02:06:57 PM
Realllllly?  My dad has a 95" Cabriolet.  White with a black top. 

While bulletproof mechanically, it's a car you baby, not one you drive through the winter.  Keep that in mind.

Oh yeah, I know.  It would be a third car for us.  The first is used by my wife every day, and I barely use the second car - maybe 2500 miles per year.  The E320 Cab would never be used in winter, and I doubt I'd put more than 1000 miles on per year...which is why it's a little hard for me to justify this purchase!

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on July 14, 2009, 02:41:25 PM
Raza, I like soft tops, though the hard top is easier to make secure when leaving it parked somewhere, and more weathertight, at least for a few years.

but I actually like the BMW 335 convert. Perfect lines with the top down, a nice sweep to it.

But I also like how it keeps the Hoffmeister kink and a decent coupe roofline with the top up...

Of course, by the time I could likely afford one, that over-complex hard top will likely have so many failure points....

I think it looks awful; like a small child put the roof together with Legos when it's up (and somewhat poorly, I might add).  With the top up, it looks not only like an ugly latch on hardtop, but an ugly latch on hardtop that someone has broken in a few places and then taped back together.  It's far more jarring in person than in pictures as well.  And when it's down you lose the trunk and it still doesn't look good (but that's got little to do with the fact that it's a hardtop convertible, and more with the fact that it looks like a 3 series coupe).  

And I still don't buy the security line, I'm sorry.  It's at least just as easy to break a window as it is to cut a soft top, and hardtops take 30 seconds or so to put in place or stow, so that adds another minute to every trip.  It's not much, I know, but you probably know as well as I do, if not better, that it can feel like ages of wasted time.  

I just don't like them.  I think they're ugly and I like having a trunk with the top up or down.  I've considered an SLK as a replacement for my departed Boxster, but I can't justify the luggage space should I ever want to drive anywhere with the top down (which I do) and take luggage (which I also do from time to time).  I could fit five to six cases of water in my Boxster whether it was a cold day or a hot one, and I would be surprised if you can do that in a hardtop convertible.

They're billed as all weather, all purpose convertibles.  That is, unless it's nice out and your purpose is to drive with the top down and use your trunk for anything larger than USB thumbdrive.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

Quote from: ChrisV on July 14, 2009, 02:41:25 PM

SL's have had very few problems with the hard tops.  Same goes for the first generation SLK's, which date back to 1998.  I wouldn't worry too much...

So for the 3, they did a fantastic job of blending the roof with the car.  It's easily the most natural looking roof of any hard top four seat convertible in production.

I said production because I know you would bring up the Ford Galaxie and scold me for not appreciating it.  :lol:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

The Galaxy Skyliner also had a single-piece roof.

But no, I do think the 3er cabrio looks awkward from a couple of angles.  There's a C70 on our lot right now at work, and I think it's gorgeous from every angle but the direct rear.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

93JC

S'aright. There is such a thing as a Ford Galaxy. It's a European minivan, not uber-schwanky hardtop convertible.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on July 14, 2009, 06:25:04 PM
S'aright. There is such a thing as a Ford Galaxy. It's a European minivan, not uber-schwanky hardtop convertible.

Feel the power!  :praise:

^This is the facelifted version of the first generation by the way, not the current one...^
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

the Teuton

It looks like a Focus...got stung by a bee.

the Teuton

Eye of the Tiger

Focus is to Galaxy, as Impreza is to ________.

Clue: lesbian lumberjack
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on July 14, 2009, 07:30:30 PM

:facepalm:

...or the Exiga?

2o6

Quote from: NACar on July 14, 2009, 07:30:30 PM

Exiga.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

jadewolf123

2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Byteme

Quote from: 2o6 on July 13, 2009, 02:47:40 PM
It looks wrong, top up and top down. The G vert' looks great top down, and kinda bad top up. The IS convertible looks wrong at every angle.

Also, I absolutely HATE the ads for it. What do they even mean?

I've never really been a fan of overpriced Toyo..........ah, I mean Lexus.

The commercials show the car is just right for those hip guys and gals on the go who are better than the rest of us.  And it's not that easy to vault into a convertible and quickly drive away, at least not in any of the convertibles I've owned or driven   ;)

the Teuton

Quote from: jadewolf123 on July 14, 2009, 09:06:47 PM
I too prefer soft tops too hard tops.

Some people just need surgical assistance, and when you're British and have lots of money, that's what you do. 

Selma is amazing.

ChrisV

Quote from: Submariner on July 14, 2009, 03:36:40 PM
SL's have had very few problems with the hard tops.  Same goes for the first generation SLK's, which date back to 1998.  I wouldn't worry too much...

So for the 3, they did a fantastic job of blending the roof with the car.  It's easily the most natural looking roof of any hard top four seat convertible in production.

I said production because I know you would bring up the Ford Galaxie and scold me for not appreciating it.  :lol:

I agree with you.

Quote from: the Teuton on July 14, 2009, 05:20:23 PM
The Galaxy Skyliner also had a single-piece roof.

Actually not...

The roof folds in the middle. The Skyliner retractable was in '57-59, and based on the Fairlane full size, except in '59, when the Galaxie trim level was added at the top of the range. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

BimmerM3

Quote from: omicron on July 14, 2009, 08:27:07 AM
The ISC is not a good-looking car, this is true.

Handsome convertibles reached their zenith with this car:

Incorrect.

Though, to be fair, it's not a true 4 seater.