Rupert's MGB Thread

Started by Rupert, July 13, 2009, 04:44:31 PM

jadewolf123

Quote from: Psilos on July 30, 2009, 11:18:06 PM
Aaaand, there goes the thread. :lol:
The Fast and the Furious is all that matters.

I live my life a quarter-mile at a time.

2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 30, 2009, 12:30:28 PM
A couple of Nissan SR20s would pull a premium one week before race wars.
Not if you overnight the parts from Japan. Then Psilos's MG will decimate all.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

That motor would decimate the MG.

AND I LIKE SUs, DAMMIT!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

jadewolf123

Quote from: Psilos on July 31, 2009, 12:59:07 AM
That motor would decimate the MG.

AND I LIKE SUs, DAMMIT!
Weber downdrafts sucka.

Rupert

Quote from: jadewolf123 on July 31, 2009, 07:48:43 AM
Weber downdrafts sucka.

IT'S NOT AN ALFA, FOOL!  ;)

I mean, really, there isn't even that much to be gained from Webers. The SUs are good carbs, and they're way simpler than Webers.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

jadewolf123

Quote from: Psilos on July 31, 2009, 07:24:31 PM

I mean, really, there isn't even that much to be gained from Webers. The SUs are good carbs, and they're way simpler than Webers.
I know. But the look of those beautiful polished velocity stacks is something that makes a young mans heart flutter. :wub:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Psilos on July 31, 2009, 07:24:31 PM

Way simpler than Webers?! There's like 5 parts on an 48 IDA!

Don't want to swap an engine? Enjoy your 67 poorly machined, inefficient, leaky horsepowers! :lol:

Rupert

John, you got a photo of yer SUs? :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 31, 2009, 07:36:44 PM
Way simpler than Webers?! There's like 5 parts on an 48 IDA!

Don't want to swap an engine? Enjoy your 67 poorly machined, inefficient, leaky horsepowers! :lol:

OK, I will. :ohyeah:

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Goddamn son of a bitch piece of shit... Better fucking heal your damn self, MG, because next stop is a goddamn car crusher!

Just had to get that off my chest.

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Ugh. If I can't fix it by the time my classic plates come, it's gone.

But I'll sell it to someone who has the time and desire to take care of it. :lol:

The problem with selling it is that it's just so damn fun to drive. And it's really the perfect car, or would be if I fit a little better and it worked all the time. I've owned it almost nine months, and about half of that time it has been broken. Another quarter of that time, it was snowing. It's like, ya know, Miatas are reliable...

Eye of the Tiger

Still just emissions, or did sumpin else brake?

Rupert

Emissions are solved. I've got classic car plates in the mail. :lol: I decided that whatever is causing the emissions problem (probably some kind of misfire at idle-- I suspect the distributor is pretty worn) isn't that big a deal. After all, I did just have the engine practically rebuilt...

Now, the problem is my own stupid fault. I overfilled the dashpots (piston dampers) on the carbs, and now there's all kind of missing throughout the rev range (most noticeable at lower RPMs, even dying at idle once). Plugs are meh (front are black, but not too bad), there may be a vacuum leak (some of the oil blew out the carb gaskets, but the gaskets look fine, and I tightened the carb bolts), or, I dunno, oil in the float bowl? It's a giant fucking pain in the ass, is what it is. I've got a good (female) friend coming this weekend, and no rad sports car in which to drive!

Basically, shit fuck goddammit.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Psilos on August 13, 2009, 08:49:20 PM
Emissions are solved. I've got classic car plates in the mail. :lol: I decided that whatever is causing the emissions problem (probably some kind of misfire at idle-- I suspect the distributor is pretty worn) isn't that big a deal. After all, I did just have the engine practically rebuilt...

Now, the problem is my own stupid fault. I overfilled the dashpots (piston dampers) on the carbs, and now there's all kind of missing throughout the rev range (most noticeable at lower RPMs, even dying at idle once). Plugs are meh (front are black, but not too bad), there may be a vacuum leak (some of the oil blew out the carb gaskets, but the gaskets look fine, and I tightened the carb bolts), or, I dunno, oil in the float bowl? It's a giant fucking pain in the ass, is what it is. I've got a good (female) friend coming this weekend, and no rad sports car in which to drive!

Basically, shit fuck goddammit.

No no no. Say shit goddamn, I'm a man, I'm a man. Fix the dampy things and forget about the oil for a bit.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

No, dude, I can't drive it like it is.

Eye of the Tiger

No, you can't drive it like it is. You have to fix the dampy things, or just get new carbs.

bing_oh

Well, I've got two SU carbs for sale, Psilos. I'll give you the desperation price on them, even! :devil:

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on August 14, 2009, 06:35:44 AM
No, you can't drive it like it is. You have to fix the dampy things, or just get new carbs.

The dampy things are fixed, and now it's a problem that they caused... Besides, new SUs are big $, and a rebuild is $150, $35 if I do it myself.

Rupert

Quote from: bing_oh on August 14, 2009, 09:36:15 AM
Well, I've got two SU carbs for sale, Psilos. I'll give you the desperation price on them, even! :devil:

Which ones, and how much? :lol:

Rupert

OK, it's been that long since I've driven the MG. I don't think it's been started in at least two months. I'm going out now to make sure it still runs, and then I'm calling the mechanic tomorrow. With luck, it will be fixed this week. With even more luck, it will be sold in two weeks.

Sorry, MG, I have failed you.

Rupert

It started and ran quite well. For a minute or so, then it stumbled and died. It "starts" but misses catastrophically and stalls out, even with the gas pedal pushed. I'll be towing it to the mechanic, unless an easy solution is found. All the wires and hoses are attached correctly...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Secret Chimp

YOU HAVE CRUSHED ITS LITTLE HEART BY LEAVING IT ALONE. IT'S POUTING. YOU ARE A BAD MAN.

Rupert

I know! I'm a terrible father. I'm going to adopt it away, for its own good.

What's worse, is that I found a couple of puddles of water in the footwells.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Secret Chimp

You should rejoin Club Brum. With you, me and Kevs we can be the northwest's Three Zoomkateers.

Rupert

Yeah, a Miata is the plan. I want a red/tan, black/tan, black/black, dark blue/black, or a BRG/black. I think some of those are Ms or Rs...

Are you back in the NW?

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Psilos on October 25, 2009, 06:04:09 PM
Yeah, a Miata is the plan. I want a red/tan, black/tan, black/black, dark blue/black, or a BRG/black. I think some of those are Ms or Rs...

Are you back in the NW?

I'm going to be back in March after I graduamate.

Rupert

Neato. We shall have a Miata meet.