tC needs new tires

Started by Minpin, July 15, 2009, 01:00:52 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Can we just remember that FWD relies on static weight distribution for its traction advantage, while RWD has the advantage dynamically? It's not rocket science.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: TBR on July 20, 2009, 08:17:56 PM

Pretty sure you're making that up.

Remember MB traction control never turns off, perhaps that was the reason?

It never stopped me from doing burnouts or doughnuts. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on July 20, 2009, 08:28:36 PM
It never stopped me from doing burnouts or doughnuts. 

Then tires probably?

The only a very well balanced FWD car would have worse traction than a RWD car since there will be more weight over the drive wheels.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on July 20, 2009, 08:50:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that FWD have inherently worse traction than RWD cars, and are favored for foul weather because they bias to understeer in low traction situations whereas RWD cars bias to oversteer, which is considered less recoverable than understeer.  My friend's 140hp 91 Buick Regal could get wheelspin at a time my 221hp Mercedes could not under the same conditions.  Anyone should feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or affirm if I am right. 

Traction is a function of how much weight you have over the drive wheels.  Since FWD cars will generally have a greater percentage of their weight over the drive wheels than an FR layout, they'll have more traction from a standstill than an FR car.  Throw weight transfer into the equation, and as the car accelerates the FF car loses traction while the FR car gains traction as weight shifts rearward.  On dry ground, the FF car will initially have more traction, but once accelerating the weight transfer will result in the FR car having more grip once under way.  However, in very low traction situations (snow and ice), weight transfer effect is not significant enough to allow the FR car to gain the traction advantage of the FF.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on July 20, 2009, 08:50:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that FWD have inherently worse traction than RWD cars, and are favored for foul weather because they bias to understeer in low traction situations whereas RWD cars bias to oversteer, which is considered less recoverable than understeer.  My friend's 140hp 91 Buick Regal could get wheelspin at a time my 221hp Mercedes could not under the same conditions.  Anyone should feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or affirm if I am right. 

No, it's because FWD cars have more weight over the drive wheels.

Why else do you think people with 2WD pickup trucks throw sandbags in the bed?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on July 20, 2009, 08:54:56 PM
Traction is a function of how much weight you have over the drive wheels.  Since FWD cars will generally have a greater percentage of their weight over the drive wheels than an FR layout, they'll have more traction from a standstill than an FR car.  Throw weight transfer into the equation, and as the car accelerates the FF car loses traction while the FR car gains traction as weight shifts rearward.  On dry ground, the FF car will initially have more traction, but once accelerating the weight transfer will result in the FR car having more grip once under way.  However, in very low traction situations (snow and ice), weight transfer effect is not significant enough to allow the FR car to gain the traction advantage of the FF.

I just said that, but it only took one sentence. :evildude:

NomisR

Quote from: NACar on July 21, 2009, 08:12:42 AM
I just said that, but it only took one sentence. :evildude:

I don't think people understood that though.

Easier explanation would be.. the only reason rear wheels are needed for FWD cars is to keep the back end from dragging on the ground.  Front wheels are responsible for all the traction for acceleration, braking and turning so it's more limited than RWD cars. 

MrH

Quote from: NACar on July 18, 2009, 01:56:47 PM
An elastic compound that deforms onto a hard, coarse, irregular surface can hardly be described by the laws of friction in the high-school physics kinda way.

It reinforces that width doesn't always equal traction.  That's my point.

Quote from: Raza  on July 15, 2009, 08:07:37 PM
I've got 225s, and they can't keep my car stuck all that well.  I've got more power though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on July 22, 2009, 12:05:36 PM

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what I was trying to say there.  I think I was combining wheel size (as in, will a 225 physically fit on your wheel) and then I started talking about traction.  Obviously tire width and traction are not the same.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on July 20, 2009, 09:11:57 PM
No, it's because FWD cars have more weight over the drive wheels.

Why else do you think people with 2WD pickup trucks throw sandbags in the bed?

I'm not so sure.  In my experience, even in a straight line, FWD cars have less traction.  Hell, my dad's car won't break loose if I floor it in first, and that has nearly twice the power of my car. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on July 22, 2009, 12:46:37 PM
I'm not so sure.  In my experience, even in a straight line, FWD cars have less traction.  Hell, my dad's car won't break loose if I floor it in first, and that has nearly twice the power of my car. 

The faster you accelerate, the more weight is shifted towards the rear, which equals more traction.

From a stand still, FWD cars will have more traction initially.  If you're flooring it, the weight transfers rather quickly, and that advantage is lost.

That's why 911's are awesome.  Great traction from a stand still, that only improves once you start moving :praise:.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT_Power

Quote from: MrH on July 22, 2009, 12:57:49 PM
That's why 911's are awesome.  Great traction from a stand still, that only improves once you start moving :praise:.

yeah until you hit the gas going around the corner and the rear comes around and you're done  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

The Pirate

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 23, 2009, 02:03:45 PM
yeah until you hit the gas going around the corner and the rear comes around and you're done  :lol:

More like let off the gas.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on July 22, 2009, 12:05:36 PM

All other things being equal, width does equal traction; that's my point.

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on July 22, 2009, 12:46:37 PM

But it's a Lexus which means it has uber-strength TC that can't be turned off. I bet a ES350 won't spin its wheels either.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on July 23, 2009, 10:04:57 PM
But it's a Lexus which means it has uber-strength TC that can't be turned off. I bet a ES350 won't spin its wheels either.

Traction control isn't perfect.  There's not even a hint of wheelspin. 

Anyway, the explanations I'm getting have satisfied me.  That is, if we define "initially" as "the exact moment you hit the gas" and not a moment longer.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

rohan

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 23, 2009, 02:03:45 PM
yeah until you hit the gas going around the corner and the rear comes around and you're done  :lol:
Well if you are doing it right you should be back on the gas right about half way through the turn and all the way out through it.  

set up
brake hard to load springs
hold proper entry position
hit apex/gas gas gas
exit turn
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

S204STi

Quote from: rohan on July 25, 2009, 12:48:45 PM
Well if you are doing it right you should be back on the gas right about half way through the turn and all the way out through it. 

set up
brake hard to load springs
hold proper entry position
hit apex/gas gas gas
exit turn

Kinda like Slow In, Fast Out?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on July 25, 2009, 01:03:10 PM
Kinda like Slow In, Fast Out?

I prefer fast in, fast out.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Minpin

I have an appointment tomorrow to get Goodyear Eagle GT's on it. My dad is friends with the owner so he gave us a good deal, and this was the best choice as far as performance/price goes that they have in stock. They look like decent enough tires, should do the job I ask of good enough.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?