Pro Touring appreciation...

Started by ChrisV, July 16, 2009, 08:48:27 AM

jadewolf123

ChrisV lay some knowledge on me.

I want to know whats the differance between all those classes. Pro-stock, pro-mod, pro-touring and assorted others. I like some cars in all but the lines are blurry to me.
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Gotta-Qik-C7

I love that Year One Trans Am. I was wondering if that Charger Daytona was an original Daytona or just a modified Charger.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

ChrisV

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 16, 2009, 11:16:04 PM
I love that Year One Trans Am. I was wondering if that Charger Daytona was an original Daytona or just a modified Charger.

IIRC, it's a '69 Charger SE that was built up to be a Daytona Clone for the Bullrun show. A lot of work has been done to make it as authentic as possible (like the flush rear window, only seen on the Daytonas and the limited edition Charger 500s that were raced just before the Daytonas).
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Quote from: jadewolf123 on July 16, 2009, 09:44:05 PM
ChrisV lay some knowledge on me.

I want to know whats the differance between all those classes. Pro-stock, pro-mod, pro-touring and assorted others. I like some cars in all but the lines are blurry to me.

Pro Stock is a drag racing class. Like other professional racing classes that have "stock" in the name, they used to be based on production car chassis, tubbed in the rear, and with lightweight front bodywork. Some evolutionary pics:

While other drag race influenced street cars had been around for years, Pro Street was officially born in 1979 when Scott Sullivan debuted a Pro Stock style '67 Nova in Hot Rod magazine, and it took off from there:

Pro Street is defined by the tubbed, custom framed, marrowed rear end, dragster wheeled look. Some are pretty radical, and many are race car fast, with street legal cars running in the 7 second quarter mile range, like this Lincoln:

Pro Touring, what this thread is about, is a spinoff from Pro Street, started by guys that wanted the detailing and muscle of the top Pro Street show cars, but designed for road race and cornering instead of drag racing. Unlike Pro Street, however, it's generally limited to classic domestic muscle, not late models or trucks or imports (because, to be honest, imports built for cornering and speed are "normal" sports cars and sport sedans and have been around forever. Though it could be argued that some classic import sedans and coupes can be built in Pro Touring form. Datsun 510s, Mazda RX3s, Toyota Corolla SR5s, all from the '70s, are typical candidates).

Pro Touring is not just old musclecars with cut springs sitting on the bumpstops with drag race engines and "dubs." Nor are they essentially restored musclecars with fat rubber, lowered to unuseability. Real Pro Touring cars are purpose built with custom chassis and suspension and huge disc brakes designed for heavy duty use on road race tracks, and any other twisty road.

Pro Mod is a drag racing class halfway between Pro Stock and Funny Cars. Unlike Pro Stock, there are a lot of classic muscle cars, hot rods, trucks, etc. And most are fairly wild.

[/img]http://www.dragracingonline.com/raceresults/2007/ix_10-promod/TD_RickStivers.jpg[/img]

jadewolf123

Thanks for that. I knew about pro stock a bit, but the street/touring was confusing.
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

ChrisV

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 16, 2009, 09:35:54 PM
Most have air ride.

Some do, but most have custom suspension optimized for the new, lower center of gravity

By the way, maybe I'm just a RS snob, but I can't stand non-RS package 2nd gen Camaros. Just doesn't look right. The only one I like that is non-RS is Kyle Tucker's blue 2nd gen. I shot some video of it at an autocross and it was just amazing.

I like the non RS with the bumper cut down to RS style bumperettes, as the nose doesn't stick out as far. That one you posted looks pretty good, however. I'd probably just remove the lower bumper guards (the vertical bits) to smooth it out.

hotrodalex

Quote from: ChrisV on July 17, 2009, 06:59:44 AM
Some do, but most have custom suspension optimized for the new, lower center of gravity

Most of the ones that people think are way too low have air ride. But yes most of the fastest pro touring cars use custom suspensions.

Quote from: ChrisV on July 17, 2009, 06:59:44 AM
I like the non RS with the bumper cut down to RS style bumperettes, as the nose doesn't stick out as far. That one you posted looks pretty good, however. I'd probably just remove the lower bumper guards (the vertical bits) to smooth it out.

I don't like the turn signals being below the bumper, as it makes the space next to the headlights look empty.

Speed_Racer

These cars look incredible. I never knew it was called "Pro Touring", but I always thought that it would be awesome to do just this if I were ever to have the $ to restore a car. Darn my small income!

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

68_427

Where can I find more pictures of these things?  I've tried photobucket but didn't find shit.  But I do suck at internet so...
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no