Why didn't AMC get a bailout?

Started by 280Z Turbo, July 20, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Byteme

Quote from: 93JC on July 21, 2009, 01:03:25 PM
:confused:

Designed and built by AM General Corporation (formerly the General Products Division of the Kaiser-Jeep Corporation), a wholly-owned subsidiary of AMC until 1983.

Acutally I was thinking of the M60 and M1 tank along with it's Chrysler designed turbine engine.

93JC

Point being AMC had defense projects too.

Atomic

you are absolutely correct. the god chrysler acted when they did. i am not certain chrysler would be in existence today if not for jeep being added to chrysler-plymouth, dodge-dodge trucks. suv's became popular as the result of the highly successful cherokee, grand cherokee and ford bronco II and explorer of yore.

Nethead

Quote from: 93JC on July 20, 2009, 06:03:21 PM
AMC didn't get a bailout because the decline was slow and spread out over the course of ~15 years. That, and they were never "too big to fail".

The best synopsis of the death of AMC that I've ever seen expressed in so few words.  Good analysis, JCdude!
So many stairs...so little time...

Submariner

Quote from: Byteme on July 21, 2009, 07:37:34 PM
Acutally I was thinking of the M60 and M1 tank along with it's Chrysler designed turbine engine.

Chrysler begun development, but I thought the engine was wholly Honeywell / Lycoming's doing?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

L. ed foote

Member, Self Preservation Society

the Teuton

Quote from: L. ed foote on July 24, 2009, 08:58:19 AM
:wub:

:praise:

Muh dad had the shorter wheelbase AMX version with the 343, automatic (hey, they were far more popular in sports cars back then), and it was white with a red stripe down the middle.

I wish he kept it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

68_427

Quote from: R-inge on July 20, 2009, 06:50:16 PM
I dunno man, other than the Jeep and the AMX/Javelin and Pacer there aren't any real standout cars that I can think of.  Maybe someone can enlighten me as to what I'm missing here.

I always thought the Rebel Machine was cool.  I also want a Gremlin with the 360.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

omicron

The early Hornets were ballsy little cars, too, and Australian-assembled cars never received the chunky bumpers of your '73 models.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on July 25, 2009, 12:56:41 PM
Muh dad had the shorter wheelbase AMX version with the 343, automatic (hey, they were far more popular in sports cars back then), and it was white with a red stripe down the middle.

I wish he kept it.

An AMX is not a "sports car". It's a sawed off muscle car.