Saab 9-5 leaked!

Started by 2o6, July 22, 2009, 10:17:51 AM

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19357.msg1119536#msg1119536 date=1248304920
There, you did it again.  You keep mixing up bland and ugly.  

You people think any new car looks great.  Oh, look, I took a shit on a Power Wheels car, added some chrome and plastic on the C pillar and called it a Jaguar XJ.  People love it!  Oh look, I took a can of spray paint and some glue and put together the front of the current 9-5 and the rear of the old M45 and we'll call it the new 9-5!  Awesome!  

I think it's the inverse, you don't like any thing and you hate anyone for not doing as yourself.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on July 22, 2009, 05:54:10 PM

I think it's the inverse, you don't like any thing and you hate anyone for not doing as yourself.

+1.  Never thought I'd say that about 2o6.  Well, except maybe the Miley thread.  He gets a +1 for that for being hilarious.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Atomic

the interior looks very rich. nice warm color, too! the exterior is certainly quirky, but then again, it's a saab!

cozmik

I think it looks great. The design definitely reminds me of more classic Saabs, yet it looks entirely modern. The lines are smooth, the rear is incredible looking. The side profile does look a bit odd, but I don't find it unattractive. Just different. Not a bad thing right now. Saab needs designs that stand out, not ones that blend it. The interior looks very nice as well. Not plush like a Lexus or even a BMW, but it seems to be well done. I think the platform will be quite sufficient. It's brand new, fully capable of fitting a range of 4 and 6 cylinder engines, AWD compatible (and I imagine most if not all North American market cars will be AWD). It will be less a 5 series competitor and more an A6 competitor in that sense. As long as they can keep quality under control, I think it could do very well. The current 9-5 is pretty reliable, but they've had 12 years to work on it. The 9-3 experienced a lot of issues in the first years, hopefully they've learned from that.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Hachee

Pom, I really believe you wrote that while drunk!  

I'll agree that there are few new cars today that can be described as truly beautiful - probably the Maserati GT and Audi A5 (and this is only after seeing the A5 on the road; I was was no fan of it at first) and very few others.  

I expected LESS from the new 9-5, after so many years of boring Saabs.  While I still like what I see, for the most part, I will concede that, from the profile shot, it does really look like two different cars were joined at the A-pillar.  That swoop from the rear side window down to and across the beltline really needs to continue in a much more defined way right down the front fender to the nose.  

But the old 900 turbo still looks better, and just as modern, than almost anything else on the road (and I remember when MANY people thought these were ugly when they were new).

CJ

It really is a striking vehicle.  It takes so many cues from Saab's of old!

Atomic

Quote from: Hachee on July 22, 2009, 08:42:04 PM

I'll agree that there are few new cars today that can be described as truly beautiful - probably the Maserati GT and Audi A5 (and this is only after seeing the A5 on the road; I was was no fan of it at first) and very few others.  

I expected LESS from the new 9-5, after so many years of boring Saabs.  While I still like what I see, for the most part, I will concede that, from the profile shot, it does really look like two different cars were joined at the A-pillar.  That swoop from the rear side window down to and across the beltline really needs to continue right down the front fender to the nose.  

But the old 900 turbo still looks better, and just as modern, than almost anything else on the road (and I remember when MANY people thought these were ugly when they were new).

i totally agree with you! are we certain that these are actual pics of the new saab and NOT someone posting something computer generated? it just does NOT look right.

2o6

Quote from: Atomic on July 22, 2009, 09:16:05 PM
i totally agree with you! are we certain that these are actual pics of the new saab and NOT someone posting something computer generated? it just does NOT look right.

Do you really think that someone is going to generate 30+ shots of a car just to mess with people?

Atomic

Quote from: 2o6 on July 22, 2009, 09:19:28 PM

Do you really think that someone is going to generate 30+ shots of a car just to mess with people?

no. some of the shots seem realistic and show a decent looking saab. i am only hoping that there is a reason why the pofile shots make the vehicle look pathetic.

Vinsanity

Quote from: cozmik on July 22, 2009, 08:40:54 PM
Saab needs designs that stand out, not ones that blend in.

:hesaid:

This catches the eye (and to me, in a good way), at least. That's more than anyone could say about Saabs in as long as I can remember.

Atomic

i am thinking that it will look uniform in person. it does not need to be lopsided to be eye-catching. the car generating buzz. that's something positive anyway.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on July 22, 2009, 05:54:10 PM

Yeah, but it's not like I ever claimed otherwise.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Pommes-T

Quote from: Hachee on July 22, 2009, 08:42:04 PM

I expected LESS from the new 9-5, after so many years of boring Saabs.  While I still like what I see, for the most part, I will concede that, from the profile shot, it does really look like two different cars were joined at the A-pillar.  That swoop from the rear side window down to and across the beltline really needs to continue right down the front fender to the nose.  

I was talking about large cars like A6, E-class, 5 series... and although I was drunk I must say I was right. The new E-class is ugly, IMO the Saab here is ugly, the AUdi A6 is nice, but old, BMW 5 series is okay, but old.
The old 5 series on the other hand was stunning, the old E-class was very beautiful, too, so was the Audi A6 and the old 95, before that facelift.
'00 BMW 523i

cozmik

Autoblog has a new set of pic, high res version available as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2010-saab-9-5-leaked-again/low/

I still like it, and the interior looks to be well done.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Hachee

I still like it too, although the front fenders need more definition to flow with the rest of the body. 

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Drat, it's not growing on me.

That's nice, though.

93JC

I like it. I like it a lot. Huge improvement over the old 9-5.

EDIT: zOMG I LOVE THE INTERIOR.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19357.msg1125226#msg1125226 date=1248874621
My god it's hideous. 

I think if the DLO was a tad larger, it'd look better. It does look a bit awkward.

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on July 29, 2009, 08:37:05 AM
I like it. I like it a lot. Huge improvement over the old 9-5.

EDIT: zOMG I LOVE THE INTERIOR.

Ditto the interior.  The tail is a bit Hyundai Azera, but I can deal with that.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: R-inge on July 29, 2009, 09:33:51 AM
Ditto the interior.  The tail is a bit Hyundai Azera, but I can deal with that.
Aha!

So I knew it looked a lot like something, just couldn't remember what it looked like.

It looks completely like an Azera. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ifcar

The interior looks nice enough, but seems dull to me for a $40k+ car. What are others seeing that I'm missing?

omicron

Quote from: ifcar on July 29, 2009, 10:35:10 AM
The interior looks nice enough, but seems dull to me for a $40k+ car. What are others seeing that I'm missing?

Too many interiors these days (and exteriors, for that matter) are needlessly overstyled and glitzy - this one is driver-focused, clean, has a 'lower, wider, longer' appearance, isn't drowning under four thousand buttons, and doesn't have a whole lot of clashing colours and textures that will date quickly.

omicron

It reminds me of the first Q45, in fact:

ifcar

Quote from: omicron on July 29, 2009, 10:45:26 AM
Too many interiors these days (and exteriors, for that matter) are needlessly overstyled and glitzy - this one is driver-focused, clean, has a 'lower, wider, longer' appearance, isn't drowning under four thousand buttons, and doesn't have a whole lot of clashing colours and textures that will date quickly.

But you don't need a luxury car to get simplicity.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on July 29, 2009, 07:37:01 AM
My god it's hideous. 

I happen to like the tapered rear end :praise: It helps the car look trim and sleek.

Somehow, though, I don't quite care for the interior. But I bet it would look nice if the trim on the center stack were a different color to break up the drab charcoal monotony.

omicron

Quote from: ifcar on July 29, 2009, 10:48:19 AM
But you don't need a luxury car to get simplicity.

No, not necessarily, but you do (should) get a more highly-refined form of it - better colour selection, better materials, more cohesive integration of dashboard, console and door trims, more HVAC/audio/navigation features without a more complex user interface, and so on. Proper luxury cars employ sound design quality first and then add the extra equipment.

ifcar

Quote from: omicron on July 29, 2009, 11:08:30 AM
No, not necessarily, but you do (should) get a more highly-refined form of it - better colour selection, better materials, more cohesive integration of dashboard, console and door trims, more HVAC/audio/navigation features without a more complex user interface, and so on. Proper luxury cars employ sound design quality first and then add the extra equipment.

I can't say that black is an especially unique color selection.