Where would you change lanes to?

Started by NomisR, July 24, 2009, 12:52:08 PM

Assuming you have an exit coming up in a 1/2 miles.  The #1 lane is going approximately 65mph, your lane currently is traveling at 70mph.   Your exit is coming up.

Speed up and move into A
25 (71.4%)
Slow down and move into B
2 (5.7%)
Speed up a lot more to move into C
4 (11.4%)
Other (Please explain
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

NomisR

Just wondering what you guys would do because I see this daily.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

A. Plenty of space, lots of notice to the tailgater behind me.

NomisR

Sorry, I reset the poll since the entire question wasn't in.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

280Z Turbo

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

NomisR

Hey, I just realize my question keeps getting cut off.. Fuck it!!

280Z Turbo

A, B, and C seem like dick moves to me. There's barely enough room for a car.

Lebowski

I would speed up a lot, move one lane to the left, pass the jerkoff that was directly in front of you (barely in view at the top of the picture) and probably 2-3 more cars in front of him, the move into the right lane and exit.

If you're not an aggressive driver, speed up slightly and move into C would be the choice.  1/2 mile is plenty of time to get there.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

NomisR

I would do C because A and B would hold up traffic.. 1/2 is more than enough to pull manuver with plenty of room to spare.

Eye of the Tiger

Slam on my brakes and pull in behind B. If the tailgater can't deal, I get a new car.

NomisR

Quote from: NACar on July 24, 2009, 02:02:22 PM
Slam on my brakes and pull in behind B. If the tailgater can't deal, I get a new car.

:lol:

sadly, I've seen this the most often.  A lot of times, they get a :facepalm: from me.

chevyguy06

'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

Byteme

turn on my right signal and start slowing down, maybe show the tailgater behind me my brake lights.  Fall in behind the car that's behind space B.  If I miss the exit, so what, there will be another.

GoCougs

I too see this daily; my experience:

A is asking for the guy you're merging in front of to speed up to agitate if not prevent the lane change, as people utterly LOATH being the victim of someone shooting a gap on them.

C is too risky in that you'll have to tail the guy in front of you AND shoot for a gap thereby compounding the drama by inviting the pleasantries of A.

B requires no shooting; 85% chance that three or four blinker cycles (without changing lanes) will get you an easy lane change with minimal if no drama, so B by a country mile.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on July 24, 2009, 05:41:38 PM

A is asking for the guy you're merging in front of to speed up to agitate if not prevent the lane change, as people utterly LOATH being the victim of someone shooting a gap on them.

C is too risky in that you'll have to tail the guy in front of you AND shoot for a gap thereby compounding the drama by inviting the pleasantries of A.

B requires no shooting; 85% chance that three or four blinker cycles (without changing lanes) will get you an easy lane change with minimal if no drama, so B by a country mile.

B will put the tailgater up your ass because you will have to brake hard. Besides that, the car you'll be pulling in front of has some kind of projectile mounted on the front of their car... could be a bazooka. I'd be careful.

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on July 24, 2009, 05:41:38 PM

C is typically not too risky though since at the speed you're going, even without speeding up, you'll have sufficient gap to change lanes safely without cutting anyone off.

And B means you'll have to reduce your speed by 10mph or more which means you'll have all the cars behind you slow down. 

A may or may not work, depending on how fast your car is.

TBR

A or C, which one depends on the density and the speed of traffic.

Rupert

You're already going 5 mph faster than the right lane, and you have half a mile to change lanes. By the time you signal to take B, you'll already be past it (assuming you just saw the sign for the exit where the red car is there), and would have to slow to under 65 to get in, hurting the flow of traffic. If you hold your speed and make for A, you will be able to signal with plenty of time, and only brake to 65 as you change lanes. You could also speed up (you might have to...), but you could still make it in easily and without hurting the flow of traffic. In fact, if you sped up, you might get far enough ahead of the person behind you that they won't have to slow down at all as you brake to get in the right lane.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hotrodalex

I don't think this much when I change lanes. I just pick an opening and go for it. :huh:

The Pirate

Most likely, A.  My car lacks the power for option C, otherwise it'd be on the table.  :devil:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

Quote from: The Pirate on July 24, 2009, 07:21:08 PM
Most likely, A.  My car lacks the power for option C, otherwise it'd be on the table.  :devil:

You can't make up ~6 car lengths in half a mile?

The Pirate

Quote from: TBR on July 24, 2009, 07:23:18 PM
You can't make up ~6 car lengths in half a mile?

D'oh!  My reading comprehension is not so good tonight, apparently.  The car is definitely capable of that.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on July 24, 2009, 07:21:08 PM
Most likely, A.  My car lacks the power for option C, otherwise it'd be on the table.  :devil:

I think I could do C with the MG. It's not like I'd have to get to 105 mph in 2 seconds... ;)

Eye of the Tiger

Swift could do D - that's turning the time-circuits on, setting them to 1/2 mile in the future, and accelerating to 88 MPH.

Vinsanity

I voted A, but I'd do C if my lane was moving fast enough

SVT_Power

I'll do C or flash the guy in front of me to get into C so I can fly by him
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna