Cops get busted for framing woman in car accident

Started by Vinsanity, July 30, 2009, 05:18:22 PM

Vinsanity

Ruh Oh: Florida drops all charges against woman framed by police for traffic accident

QuoteA Hollywood, Florida police officer rams into the back of a woman's car. Three other cops arrive on the scene and they concoct a fictional story about a cat jumping out of a car, and the officer thinking it's a pedestrian, thereby causing the accident. They then pinned a DUI charge on the woman. The cops even went so far as to change the angle of the pictures to make it look like the woman swerved in front of the police car. And it gets worse from there -- and it's all caught on the video. One of the officers says on tape (NSFW language), "I don't lie and make things up ever because it's wrong, but if I need to bend it a little bit to protect a cop, I'll do it -- She's freaking hammered anyway."

NomisR

Well, at least it was not a black man this happened to. 

giant_mtb

Didn't they ever think about the fact that everything they say/do is recorded/taped?

:facepalm:

TurboDan

Hope they all get what they deserve, including the drunk driver. Why the cops didn't just turn off their emergency lights (and thus the cameras/recorders) is beyond me. Traditionally, the recording only is active when the lights are on except on some very high-end remote broadband systems.

My question, however - Why was the DUI dropped? Was she not intoxicated or did they just decide to drop ALL of the charges because there was some underhanded things going on in general? The fact that the one cop said "She's hammered anyway" makes me think she probably WAS drunk.

dazzleman

Crooked cops like that are bad.  I don't care if they rough up criminals, but it's not right to set up an innocent person like that.  I hope they get slammed hard.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

Scary if it's just one; downright nightmarish that it was a collusion of four.

Tave

One of our friends at college was struck and killed by a patrol car while he was in a crosswalk. His family faced an extreme uphill battle afterwards, dealing with the fraternal, insulary nature of the LE community.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

James Young

Quote from: Tave on July 31, 2009, 08:26:00 AM
One of our friends at college was struck and killed by a patrol car while he was in a crosswalk. His family faced an extreme uphill battle afterwards, dealing with the fraternal, insulary nature of the LE community.

Law enforcement is probably second only to the Catholic Church in their classic institutional behavior.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

Raza

How big did they say this fucking cat was?  If I saw a 5'+ cat I wouldn't stop for shit, even if I did hit something!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

rohan

Quote from: James Young on July 31, 2009, 10:00:08 PM
Law enforcement is probably second only to the Catholic Church in their classic institutional behavior.
Not even remotely in the top 7.  UAW- Education associations/teachers- congress- firefighters- military services- naacp- they're all far far worse than anything you'll ever find in Le. 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

jadewolf123

Quote from: rohan on August 04, 2009, 06:14:36 PM
Not even remotely in the top 7.  UAW- Education associations/teachers- congress- firefighters- military services- naacp- they're all far far worse than anything you'll ever find in Le.  
Is it true cops think of firefighters as a bunch of goons living in a frat house? Because if the job is like that sign me up :lol:
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

bing_oh

Quote from: jadewolf123 on August 04, 2009, 06:34:09 PMIs it true cops think of firefighters as a bunch of goons living in a frat house? Because if the job is like that sign me up :lol:

I don't have any problems with the hose pulling, dalmation molesting, basement saving, nozzle jockeys. Dunno where the rumors of this LE/firefighter animosity come from... :huh: :lol:

And, they're actually underworked, overpaid goons living in a frat house.

NomisR

Quote from: bing_oh on August 04, 2009, 08:29:23 PM
I don't have any problems with the hose pulling, dalmation molesting, basement saving, nozzle jockeys. Dunno where the rumors of this LE/firefighter animosity come from... :huh: :lol:

And, they're actually underworked, overpaid goons living in a frat house.

Unless they're in CA I guess which gets a big share of the fires. 

But from the firemen I've encountered when I got in the accident in the Element, the firefighters seems be making fun of the police dept's slow response time compared to their own, saying.. "oh look, here they come with their donuts now." 

TurboDan

It's actually pretty rare to find paid firefighters in suburban New Jersey. They're all volunteer squads.

TBR

Quote from: NomisR on August 05, 2009, 12:57:45 PM

But from the firemen I've encountered when I got in the accident in the Element, the firefighters seems be making fun of the police dept's slow response time compared to their own, saying.. "oh look, here they come with their donuts now." 

The firefighters that cover campus don't seem to be particularly quick. I have been involved in 3 false alarms and each time they took at least 20 minutes to get here though the station is all of half a mile from campus.

NomisR

Quote from: TBR on August 05, 2009, 05:51:29 PM
The firefighters that cover campus don't seem to be particularly quick. I have been involved in 3 false alarms and each time they took at least 20 minutes to get here though the station is all of half a mile from campus.

CA > NC

dazzleman

They probably know it's a false alarm and take their time getting there.  That's one of the dangers of false alarms.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TBR

Quote from: dazzleman on August 05, 2009, 06:07:29 PM
They probably know it's a false alarm and take their time getting there.  That's one of the dangers of false alarms.

They might think it is a false alarm, and they would probably be right, but there is no way to know. It seems to me like when there's a possibility that a chemistry building or a dorm with 200 college students is on fire you rush. I mean our smoke detectors are uber-sensitive for a reason (one of the alarms was set-off by hair spray!), dorms are very dangerous places in event of a fire.

Catman

Quote from: NomisR on August 05, 2009, 12:57:45 PM

If you were lounging around on a couch, positioned in an area that afforded easy response to a certain area I would think response should be good.  A lot of times police are sent all over the place and are often covering another area that is busy so response may be slow.  That being said in my town we beat the FD to calls more often than not. 

bing_oh

Quote from: Catman on August 05, 2009, 07:15:33 PMIf you were lounging around on a couch, positioned in an area that afforded easy response to a certain area I would think response should be good.  A lot of times police are sent all over the place and are often covering another area that is busy so response may be slow.  That being said in my town we beat the FD to calls more often than not.

Same here. It's a rare call that we don't beat the FD to the scene. I've been to a few house fires where we've actually had to go in and evacuate occupants because of FD's response time.

Catman

Rolling traffic jams, that's what they are.  Every time we get traffic sorted out and everyone squared away they come on scene with their stupid trucks and block the road. :lockedup:

NomisR

Quote from: bing_oh on August 06, 2009, 07:04:47 AM
Same here. It's a rare call that we don't beat the FD to the scene. I've been to a few house fires where we've actually had to go in and evacuate occupants because of FD's response time.

Like I said.. CA > whatever other FD..

But LBPD probably sucked ass to begin with.  I got in an accident right next to a police station which ironically is right next door to a Krispy Kreme and they could've simply walked someone over.  But I guess that's how protocol works. 

Catman

Quote from: NomisR on August 07, 2009, 12:45:36 PM
Like I said.. CA > whatever other FD..

But LBPD probably sucked ass to begin with.  I got in an accident right next to a police station which ironically is right next door to a Krispy Kreme and they could've simply walked someone over.  But I guess that's how protocol works. 

Typically, the PD is not manned to respond to calls, the patrols do that.  The PD is manned for in place operations.  Most of the sworn personnel in the station are there to supervise operations or they are dispatchers and clerks.  If you get lucky and a patrol happens to be in the station then you'll get a quick reponse, otherwise your proximity to the PD has little to do with response time.  Unlike FD's we don't sit around the station waiting for a call.  Patrol officer's are assigned patrol sector/beats and that's where they need to be.

Submariner

Quote from: James Young on July 31, 2009, 10:00:08 PM

Dude...it's getting really, really old.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MX793

Quote from: TBR on August 05, 2009, 05:51:29 PM

Is it a professional or a volunteer departments?  Keep in mind that volunteer departments don't typically have many firefighters actually at the station waiting to roll out, they have to wait for the firefighters to get to the station from wherever they might be (at work, at home, the mall...) and then they suit up and get rolling.  That can really add to the response time.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Quote from: MX793 on August 09, 2009, 11:18:40 AM
Is it a professional or a volunteer departments?  Keep in mind that volunteer departments don't typically have many firefighters actually at the station waiting to roll out, they have to wait for the firefighters to get to the station from wherever they might be (at work, at home, the mall...) and then they suit up and get rolling.  That can really add to the response time.

It's a big enough town that I would think it would be professional, but I suppose it could be volunteer.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: TBR on August 09, 2009, 03:12:08 PM
It's a big enough town that I would think it would be professional, but I suppose it could be volunteer.

......or you could be like San Diego and not even have a unified fire department. Basically, it's a clusterfuck of a million different state, local, volunteer, rural and other agencies. This is despite the fact that San Diego is very fire prone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/us/05fire.html

Typical Republicans who want all the services, but don't want to pay for them. :lol:

The consolidation movement here appeared to gain ground in the wake of the wildfires of 2003, the deadliest in the state?s recent history. The fires burned 280,000 acres. Fifteen people died, including one firefighter, and 2,232 homes burned. The debate was renewed in October, when 10 people died and 350,000 acres burned as fires, fueled by Santa Ana winds, tore through the county.

The San Diego Local Agency Formation Commission, which helps shape the county?s public agencies, voted 7 to 1 Monday to approve a first phase of consolidation among the county?s 65 fire departments. That phase would combine seven rural fire districts that cover 1.4 million acres and serve 50,000 people in rural and sparsely populated eastern San Diego County, where many wildfires originate.

SIXTEY FIVE fire departments! One county.  :nutty: :confused:

MX793

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on August 11, 2009, 12:27:50 AM
......or you could be like San Diego and not even have a unified fire department. Basically, it's a clusterfuck of a million different state, local, volunteer, rural and other agencies. This is despite the fact that San Diego is very fire prone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/us/05fire.html

Typical Republicans who want all the services, but don't want to pay for them. :lol:

The consolidation movement here appeared to gain ground in the wake of the wildfires of 2003, the deadliest in the state?s recent history. The fires burned 280,000 acres. Fifteen people died, including one firefighter, and 2,232 homes burned. The debate was renewed in October, when 10 people died and 350,000 acres burned as fires, fueled by Santa Ana winds, tore through the county.

The San Diego Local Agency Formation Commission, which helps shape the county?s public agencies, voted 7 to 1 Monday to approve a first phase of consolidation among the county?s 65 fire departments. That phase would combine seven rural fire districts that cover 1.4 million acres and serve 50,000 people in rural and sparsely populated eastern San Diego County, where many wildfires originate.

SIXTEY FIVE fire departments! One county.  :nutty: :confused:

65 fire departments in a county doesn't surprise me in the least.  You generally have 1 fire department (with one or more stations) per city, town or village.  I don't know of any county that combines all fire departments into one agency.  I think there were 4 or 5 (maybe more) different fire departments within six miles of where I grew up.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on August 11, 2009, 04:17:52 AM
65 fire departments in a county doesn't surprise me in the least.  You generally have 1 fire department (with one or more stations) per city, town or village.  I don't know of any county that combines all fire departments into one agency.  I think there were 4 or 5 (maybe more) different fire departments within six miles of where I grew up.

I think our county has at least two departments, one for the FoCo area, one for Loveland and Estes Park and surrounding areas.

TurboDan

Quote from: MX793 on August 11, 2009, 04:17:52 AM

Yeah, usually most larger towns have a couple different fire companies. In New Jersey, there is a county Fire Marshall that investigates fires and stuff like that, but the individual fire companies are all over the place. Seems to work out OK.