Just Got a New Mazda CX9!

Started by Catman, July 31, 2009, 11:26:52 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Catman on August 13, 2009, 05:27:16 PM
Right about 18.5 mpg for mixed driving.  Not bad.

Rodeo gets 19 mpg.

PWN3D! :evildude:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on August 13, 2009, 06:28:43 PM
Rodeo gets 19 mpg.

PWN3D! :evildude:

That's actually not too bad.  One thing I've noticed about Mazdas is that they are definitely not the most fuel efficient cars in their respective classes.  My Civic was much better than my Proteg?, and my dad's Mazda6 isn't really that fuel efficient either.  'Course, his car is a 5-speed, and he drives spiritedly.

But, generally, if fuel consumption is at the top of your list, there are better options than a Mazda.  Personally, I'll sacrifice some fuel consumption for some zoom-zoom.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

This vehicle feels nothing like the crossover that it is.  I think Mazda did an unbelievable job tuning the chassis and suspension.

Atomic

congratulations, greg! i always liked the cx-7 and cx-9 and seriously looked at them before purchasing my 2008 nissan maxima se. not having children, i examined the smaller crossover closer. at some point in time, i will trade my 2000 maxi for an awd/4wd crossover, small suv or wagon.

i love the lines of your new vehicle! nice color choice. sounds like a decent deal, too! great pics, man!

Catman

Quote from: Atomic on August 31, 2009, 11:18:24 AM
congratulations, greg! i always liked the cx-7 and cx-9 and seriously looked at them before purchasing my 2008 nissan maxima se. not having children, i examined the smaller crossover closer. at some point in time, i will trade my 2000 maxi for an awd/4wd crossover, small suv or wagon.

i love the lines of your new vehicle! nice color choice. sounds like a decent deal, too! great pics, man!

:ohyeah: Thanks

sportyaccordy

Dont know if I said so, but congrats. Glad you finally made a decision... if I remember correctly, you were looking at the likes of Yukons and Highlanders. Glad you made the right choice :ohyeah:

saxonyron

I'm finally getting caught up on my CarSPIN threads.  Congrats Greg - you made a great choice and got an awesome deal.  I remember how smitten you were with the CX9 back in April at the NYIAS. :lol: Glad everything came together. And now that I've seen it in person, I can attest to the fact that it is one sweet ride.  Mazdas would be on my list if I could fit in the damn things!  Well-made, athletically tuned ride, and they're all sexy looking beasts.  :ohyeah:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Laconian

(insert comment about also needing 30 rows of seating for your prodigious family)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

saxonyron

Quote from: Laconian on September 05, 2009, 09:40:06 PM
(insert comment about also needing 30 rows of seating for your prodigious family)

:lol:  That too. In fact, I just picked up an '07 Suburban this week.  Getting it on Wed.  I'll have to do a thread!  :rockon:  It was a pretty good deal and is loaded with stuff I wasn't even looking for.  And yes, there's room for my 37 kids and the Doberman.  Plus it'll pull the trailers.  Damn, 16" longer than the Expedition.  Crazy!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Onslaught

I never look in this part of the form. Nice SUV choice. I've worked on a few in my day and liked them.

CJ

Everyone's getting a Mazda these days!  We might get a 6 Touring Plus on Monday.

the Teuton

Quote from: CJ on September 05, 2009, 11:15:49 PM
Everyone's getting a Mazda these days!  We might get a 6 Touring Plus on Monday.

It'd be more reliable than a Volvo. :devil:

Best of luck to you guys, too.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Catman

Took a trip up north today at got 22 mpg.  :clap:

ifcar

Quote from: saxonyron on September 05, 2009, 10:10:58 PM
:lol:  That too. In fact, I just picked up an '07 Suburban this week.  Getting it on Wed.  I'll have to do a thread!  :rockon:  It was a pretty good deal and is loaded with stuff I wasn't even looking for.  And yes, there's room for my 37 kids and the Doberman.  Plus it'll pull the trailers.  Damn, 16" longer than the Expedition.  Crazy!

Out of curiosity, why did you pick it over an extended Expedition?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

saxonyron

Quote from: ifcar on September 06, 2009, 06:51:14 AM
Out of curiosity, why did you pick it over an extended Expedition?

The extended Expedition really looks dorky.  The style leaves me flat.  That, plus after 10 years and 3 blue Expeditions, I think we were in a rut and it was time to switch back to Chevy.  :lol:  The Fords never left us with a feeling that they were going to run happily for 150,000 miles.  We traded the last 2 in at 95k miles since they were starting to need repairs every few months - front end, alternator, coil packs, etc.  Without a warranty (which expires at 100k), that stuff gets expensive.  In my experience, more expensive than a new payment.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Atomic

greg, your testimony interested me so much that i did more research on your new vehicle and the smaller cx-7. according to consumer reports, the cx-7 and the cx-9 are built off of different platforms (the cx-7 supposedly sharing platforms with the ford flex. is cr correct? if so, is the cx-9 based on a volvo? i anxiously await the answer. greg? others?

i have noticed that the cx-9 is always rated higher in most, if not all categories.

ifcar

Quote from: Atomic on September 07, 2009, 06:30:36 PM
greg, your testimony interested me so much that i did more research on your new vehicle and the smaller cx-7. according to consumer reports, the cx-7 and the cx-9 are built off of different platforms (the cx-7 supposedly sharing platforms with the ford flex. is cr correct? if so, is the cx-9 based on a volvo? i anxiously await the answer. greg? others?

i have noticed that the cx-9 is always rated higher in most, if not all categories.

No one has said the CX-7 shares anything with the Flex, but the CX-9 does.

Atomic

thanks, ifcar. i must have read the report incorrectly... what i referenced come from a special 2010 car/truck preview guide put out by cr. i will take a second look tomorrow. this "fall guide" was a waste of money as it only features a brief description of some of the 2010 models... the things i already knew. the label of the publication is misleading as the vast majority of information and pics concern '09 vehicles. i bought the mag without flipping through it, hoping to discover a great read once on my sailboat.

the blurbs on the cx-7 and cx-9 did indicate a difference in platforms. i can barely wait to review this again in the a.m.

Catman

Yes, the CX9 shares the platform with the Flex.  It's a great car, really happy with it.

Atomic

i love it! i may copy you when it comes time to trade my 2000 nissan maxi se in about a year! i, too, have looked at everything from nissan, toyota and honda (crossovers/suv wise), but cannot help but reflect on the gorgeous lines of the sporty mazda cx-9. i looked closely at the acura rdx and mdx, and audi q5 and q7, but damn those outrageous priced! yikes. with the state of the economy, i have given up on the notion of a small luxury-sport convertible or dodge challenger r/t or str-8 for something more practical for me, girlfriend and dogs. i love my 2008 maxima se, so i will definitely keep that gem.

Catman

Quote from: Atomic on September 07, 2009, 07:19:44 PM
i love it! i may copy you when it comes time to trade my 2000 nissan maxi se in about a year! i, too, have looked at everything from nissan, toyota and honda (crossovers/suv wise), but cannot help but reflect on the gorgeous lines of the sporty mazda cx-9. i looked closely at the acura rdx and mdx, and audi q5 and q7, but damn those outrageous priced! yikes. with the state of the economy, i have given up on the notion of a small luxury-sport convertible or dodge challenger r/t or str-8 for something more practical for me, girlfriend and dogs. i love my 2008 maxima se, so i will definitely keep that gem.

It probably sounds weird but if you like the Maxima you will like the CX9.

Atomic

btw, my girlfriend just bought a 2010 chevrolet equinox. she traded in a chevrolet s-10 her father gave her. surprisingly, it qualified for the cash-for-clunkers program. her dad works for corporate gm, for a mazda was out of the running for him   :nono: !

i must say, her new truck, loaded to the gills, is awesome!

Atomic

no. it does not sound weird at all! i love the looks of both, greg. you may shutter, but i was so excited when i first saw the subaru tribeca (pre and post facelift). in fact, i looked closely at both the tribeca and mazda cx-9... and was torn. the dash of the subaru was so futuristic at the time, i was sold on that alone. however, the ride really disappointed me. it was okay, but too minivan-like in every respect. great for a soccer mom or boy scout leader dad. with the mazda's, EVERYTHING impressed me. i never test drove one, but will. i look forward to it!

you are so right! i think the 2009 and 2010 maxi's look hot. it's the mazda that has similar lines, not the nice (but almost over-styled) nissan murano. no offense to the murano, but the cx-7 has what nothing in that class has -- bulging muscles  :ohyeah: !

Catman

After a few months I have to say I love this car.  Best vehicle I have ever owned.  It's comfortable, drives great and can fit a good amount of people and stuff.

I only have a couple gripes:

- Dim headlights
- Transmission is a bit slow on down shifts
- No RDS on the radio (sounds great though)

mzziaz

Quote from: Catman on December 01, 2009, 04:11:27 PM

- No RDS on the radio (sounds great though)

Wat?

Is it even possible to get car radios without RDS these days?
Cuore Sportivo

Catman

Apparently it is...seems silly. All my vehicles have had it in the past.