Lotus vs Miata head on crash at Lime Rock Park.

Started by 565, August 11, 2009, 07:07:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHfGGgTVsc&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Es2ki%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fshowtopic%3D722368&feature=player_embedded

"David Brand in the Lotus spun in the right-hander going onto the no-name straight.....next through were a few Miatas that were nose to tail, the first went left and the second had no place to go - BAM - head on into the Lotus! The SM Miata of Ken Payson got catapulted into the air and did a complete flip coming to rest on its wheels. Richard Cullen said he had a front row seat when the car went airbourne. I came though a few seconds later and it was like a war zone...yellow flags waving, corner workers frantically running and waving their arms....then the red flag quickly displayed.

They called the race with 6 laps left on the board in lieu of the accident. Both drivers were transported to medical and believe were taken to the local medical facility in Sharon, CT. Upon leaving the track we were told that the Lotus Driver David Brand was released with no major injuries (except to his wallet). As far as Ken Payson, I am not sure if he was released but indications are that he had suffered a broken neck or back (not a 100% confirmed report). Our prayers are with both drivers for a speed recovery."

Onslaught

One more NA has bitten the dust. Watching that video makes me want to fix up a Miata and take it to the track. With the exception of the whole flipping end over end and breaking my neck part.

Catman

hotrodalex

I'm done with Youtube. I can't watch 9 out of 10 videos due to the "error has occured" bullcrap.

Anyway, looking at the pictures, that did not look fun.

Catman

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 11, 2009, 07:35:36 PM
I'm done with Youtube. I can't watch 9 out of 10 videos due to the "error has occured" bullcrap.

Anyway, looking at the pictures, that did not look fun.

I think it's your computer.  Try reinstalling flash.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Catman on August 11, 2009, 07:38:16 PM
I think it's your computer.  Try reinstalling flash.

I've done that maybe 3 times this month.

MexicoCityM3

Wow both cars seem to have held up pretty well for such a crash. Let's hope both drivers are ok.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

the Teuton

It's amazing how competitive those NA Miatas are to even be on the same track as a race spec Elise.

Good cars.

And yeah, that looked like a hard hit.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Was that a Miata that the camera was in?  If it was, it sounds amazing.

Onslaught

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 11, 2009, 10:51:18 PM
Was that a Miata that the camera was in?  If it was, it sounds amazing.
Looking at the dash I'd say it was a 90-93 Miata.

r0tor

good thing those were real race cars and not a general public lap day.... yikes
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FlatBlackCaddy

Why did the miata with the on board even bother to keep running hard. There isn't any way in hell that was getting cleaned up without shutting down the track.

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 12, 2009, 05:10:51 PM
Why did the miata with the on board even bother to keep running hard. There isn't any way in hell that was getting cleaned up without shutting down the track.

A Miata running hard is still only going 25.

Sigma Projects

RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Sigma Projects

it was jsut very unfortunate, I guess the Lotus car wouldn't start? Since after spinning out I'd get the f*** off the road if I was facing traffic. You could kinda see the yellow flag at 0:35 sucky the lotus driver couldn't pull to the side about 10ft.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 11, 2009, 08:19:55 PM
Wow both cars seem to have held up pretty well for such a crash. Let's hope both drivers are ok.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: Sigma Projects on August 13, 2009, 02:05:30 AM
it was jsut very unfortunate, I guess the Lotus car wouldn't start? Since after spinning out I'd get the f*** off the road if I was facing traffic. You could kinda see the yellow flag at 0:35 sucky the lotus driver couldn't pull to the side about 10ft.

I would think that the best thing to do is just sit still and let the course workers wave the yellow flag and slow people down coming into your area before doing anything rash.  I think this accident was caused by a bunch of cars trying to make a pass at once and thus veiling the last guy's view, so I don't think the Lotus owner did anything wrong other than drive like a 'tard.