Can someone explain insurance to me?

Started by 2o6, August 11, 2009, 08:28:12 PM

JWC

Quote from: TBR on August 17, 2009, 09:33:37 PM
Wrong answer. You should never have a deductible on a cheap car at all. Liability only FTW.

Another wrong answer. Liability covers all liability, this includes damage to the other car.

You need to check your insurance coverage and how claims are handled by your company before making a decision to put liability only on even a cheap car.   My Beetle is covered for replacement cost, not book value, but stil only comes to around 3500.00.  The reason for checking was I had liability only on my car, only to find out that full coverage was only 120.00 more per year.  For that, I get roadside assistance and free towing, even for a breakdown; a rental car and a emergency room visit up to $2500.00.

The last car that I owned that got crashed, that wasn't my fault, and only had liability on it was over ten years ago.   Since the wreck wasn't my fault and my car was undriveable, I petitioned for his insurance to cover a rental while mine was repaired.  The answer was no.  Since I did not have rental coverage on my car, his company wasn't responsible for my rental.  I ended up borrowing cars for two weeks...all to save 10.00/month.

r0tor

Quote from: JWC on August 24, 2009, 12:50:46 PM

The last car that I owned that got crashed, that wasn't my fault, and only had liability on it was over ten years ago.   Since the wreck wasn't my fault and my car was undriveable, I petitioned for his insurance to cover a rental while mine was repaired.  The answer was no.  Since I did not have rental coverage on my car, his company wasn't responsible for my rental.  I ended up borrowing cars for two weeks...all to save 10.00/month.

that seems odd as i had a rental car last year for 3 days on the other persons insurance company's money while my car had its rear bumper replaced
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

JWC

Quote from: r0tor on August 24, 2009, 01:06:46 PM
that seems odd as i had a rental car last year for 3 days on the other persons insurance company's money while my car had its rear bumper replaced

Depends on the insurance company you are dealing with....and why you need to decide.  When I worked a body shop, some people would get a rental and others could not.  I believe State Farm would if their customer was at fault and the repairs could be competed within a certain time frame.  If the time went over, the customer was responsible for charges going over that the allowed time.

For me, paying ten dollars per month extra is a small price to pay knowing that I'm covered regardless of the other guy's insurance.

I should clarify, that ten bucks is for three cars.  The Bus has only liability on it right now just to satisfy the state requirement to keep a license plate on it.  After it is finished, I have to photograph it, list all the repairs made to it and then I'll get full coverage/replacement value on it.

AutobahnSHO

Rental laws vary by state and if you pay for it or not.
Generally if you are NOT at fault, the other insurance Co. pays for it.

When I totalled my van, I got a rental (up to $30/day for 30days,) because I pay $6/month for it and hadn't used it yet. Supposedly I could also do that if I had my car in the shop for maintenance too.
Will