Autoweek Review: 2006 Cadillac DTS

Started by Colonel Cadillac, August 16, 2005, 03:00:23 PM

Colonel Cadillac

The pre-facelift LS430 looks like a boat, but the post face-lift looks much sleaker and sexier. The current "Deville DTS" and the new "DTS" I don't think look like boats. There has always been a little spot in my heart for the current "Deville DTS". I think it's classy.

When I say Deville DTS, I do not mean the Deville, or Deville DHS.  

ifcar

I think the 06 DTS is an attractive vehicle myself, probably more so than the Lexus outside. I'd prefer a smaller grille, but it looks nice otherwise, a crisp-edged boat.  

JYODER240

I hate this car inside and out in pictures, but when I saw it in person I loved it. The interior looks excellent and the exterior flows very nicely. Many are bashing it based on what they see in the pictures, you can't judge a car from pictures.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SJ_GTI

QuoteI think the 06 DTS is an attractive vehicle myself, probably more so than the Lexus outside. I'd prefer a smaller grille, but it looks nice otherwise, a crisp-edged boat.
I think its nice looking as well, but the Lucerne CXS looks better IMHO, and mechanically they are almost identical.

BMWDave

QuoteI think the 06 DTS is an attractive vehicle myself, probably more so than the Lexus outside. I'd prefer a smaller grille, but it looks nice otherwise, a crisp-edged boat.
I think its nice looking as well, but the Lucerne CXS looks better IMHO, and mechanically they are almost identical.
I agree with you, the Lucerne is better looking IMO.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I'll have to see it in person, but the Lucerne looks terrible to me in some angles, like any angle that includes the front end. <_<

It will definitely be the same car for less money, at least.  

thewizard16

The LS430 will do 0-60 in at most 6.3 seconds, more recently they've said 5.9, so it's still quicker than the DTS. I don't understand what Lexus was thinking when they dropped their horsepower on the LS from 290 to 278, but I'm not the one running their company. I agree with ifcar that I don't think there will be much cross shopping between the LS and the DTS anymore than there is with a Town Car and the LS. To say that the LS doesn't compete with the S class, 7 series, etc. and is cross shopped with the Town Car and DTS is a bit silly, even with it's "less powerful" engine. Overall, I have to say the DTS seems pretty nice. I'm not wild about the front, but I'm not wild about any of their art and science stuff. Interior looks pretty good, though I'm not quite sure why they did the center stack the way they did.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

They didn't drop the horsepower, it was rated under new stricter SAE standards. Many Toyotas took a hit there.

TBR

QuoteThe LS430 will do 0-60 in at most 6.3 seconds, more recently they've said 5.9, so it's still quicker than the DTS. I don't understand what Lexus was thinking when they dropped their horsepower on the LS from 290 to 278, but I'm not the one running their company. I agree with ifcar that I don't think there will be much cross shopping between the LS and the DTS anymore than there is with a Town Car and the LS. To say that the LS doesn't compete with the S class, 7 series, etc. and is cross shopped with the Town Car and DTS is a bit silly, even with it's "less powerful" engine. Overall, I have to say the DTS seems pretty nice. I'm not wild about the front, but I'm not wild about any of their art and science stuff. Interior looks pretty good, though I'm not quite sure why they did the center stack the way they did.
I don't recall anyone saying that the LS430 doesn't compete with the 7-series/A8/S-class, but it also competes with the DTS, if not the Town Car. They are both float boats with a similar amount of power and similar pricing.

ifcar

Pricing is far from similar. You can get a fully-loaded DTS for the price of an LS430 with no options (which, may I add, Lexus dealers almost never stock).

TBR

Similar enough anyway, they are both more expensive than the other old person lux car, the Town Car.

ifcar

There's about a $6,000 real-world difference between the DTS and Town Car, IIRC, and about a $12,000 difference between the DTS and LS430.

TBR

Just did a little research and you're right, the difference between a Designer Series TC and a LIII Deville is just $1000 while there is a $11000 difference between the Deville and a LS430 with the modern lux pack (all cars have nav systems and a sunroof).

ifcar

Remember that the Town Car will go for thousands below sticker and that the DTS gets an MSRP cut over the DTS as well.  

TBR

ifcar

TMV? Sounds accurate then, though I assume those are 05s. :)  

TBR

The Deville is a '06, I am not sure about the TC and LS.

bobwill

I see nothing really wrong with the interior, and I generally don't care for wood trim.
I don't care much for the exterior though.  I think that all of the other Art&Science cars look better than it.

ifcar

QuoteThe Deville is a '06, I am not sure about the TC and LS.
There is no 2006 Deville.  ;)  

TBR

Whatever ;) . That brings up something else, how smart is it to dump a historic nameplate like that?  

ifcar

Stupid, but GM seems to have no problem with doing it everywhere. Century, Regal, LeSabre, and Park Avenue, not to mention Seville and Deville all disappear in the same 2-year period, you don't like to see that.  

TBR

QuoteStupid, but GM seems to have no problem with doing it everywhere. Century, Regal, LeSabre, and Park Avenue, not to mention Seville and Deville all disappear in the same 2-year period, you don't like to see that.
I think having the Century, Regal, and Park Avenue names disappear was just fine, because people weren't especially loyal to any of the nameplates, they were loyal to the Buick brand and a couple in particular have a bad rep (Century is the first the comes to mind). As far as the Seville turning into the STS goes, I also think that was essential because they are trying to attract a younger crowd. Now, for the DTS, that is rather silly since as far as I know they are still going right after the exact same customer and there was another exception to Caddy's naming strategy (the Escalade, and that name will undoubtedly stay).

ifcar