Wait a minute... when did Pontiac and Saturn go buh bye?

Started by sportyaccordy, August 22, 2009, 08:07:39 AM

sportyaccordy

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=155526?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

QuoteImagine a revitalized Saab 9-5. Oops, you can't because Saab isn't under the General Motors umbrella anymore. Then maybe a toughened Pontiac G6. Nope, that brand is history. How about a serious Saturn Aura? Nope, another goner. Well, what about the 2012 Buick Regal?

I mean, I wasn't particularly crazy about either brand but what the hell man?

They should bring this over as a Chevy. It's a decent enough car.

S204STi

It happened when GM was bought out and restructured by the gubment IIRC.

93JC

GM is in the process of selling off GM Europe (Opel & Vauxhall): the chances of this car making it to the US are nil.

Besides, they brought over the Astra completely unchanged and the US market hated it because it didn't have a bigger engine and an iPod jack. What makes you think anyone over here would give a damn about the Insignia?

Galaxy

Quote from: 93JC on August 22, 2009, 09:55:08 AM
GM is in the process of selling off GM Europe (Opel & Vauxhall): the chances of this car making it to the US are nil.

Besides, they brought over the Astra completely unchanged and the US market hated it because it didn't have a bigger engine and an iPod jack. What makes you think anyone over here would give a damn about the Insignia?

They don't want to get rid of Opel completly, although that probably has less to do with the brand and more to do with Opel's development centers in R?sselsheim and Mainz-Kastel. Anyways they wanted a buy-back clause but probably will not get it. GM will still own around 20-25% of Opel.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 93JC on August 22, 2009, 09:55:08 AM

As of late they've been rethinking selling Opel.

93JC

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on August 26, 2009, 02:41:25 PM
Yeah yeah, well as of August 22nd they weren't. :tounge:

As of August 27, per Bloomberg, they still are considering Opel for sale, and are increasing Korean developed Chevrolet production for Europe to combat the loss of revenue.  Opel outsells Chevrolet five to one.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on August 26, 2009, 02:21:55 PM

As of late they've been rethinking selling Opel.

i haven't been around lately, so i have missed a lot of auto news. however, i read somewhere yesterday that a sale is imminent. i guess they are seriously talking again.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on August 27, 2009, 06:51:57 AM
As of August 27, per Bloomberg, they still are considering Opel for sale, and are increasing Korean developed Chevrolet production for Europe to combat the loss of revenue.  Opel outsells Chevrolet five to one.

I'm sure more crappy rebadged Daewoos is just the thing they need to bring the Chevy marque on par with Opel in Europe.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on August 30, 2009, 08:39:14 AM
I'm sure more crappy rebadged Daewoos is just the thing they need to bring the Chevy marque on par with Opel in Europe.

The VUE is a Daewoo.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on August 30, 2009, 08:39:14 AM

Well, the Aveo is getting replaced soon, and they're levying a lot of hope on the Cruze.  However, I feel that the sale of Opel would be another step towards complete irrelevancy of American cars in Europe.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

The Cruze was bettered by the Skoda Octavia in a recent UK comparison I read.

The main problem for the Cruze is that there is no hatch.  In countries like Ireland, Spain, Greece and Turkey, this isn't an issue, but in the UK and Germany it is a major one.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  on August 31, 2009, 08:54:46 AM
Well, the Aveo is getting replaced soon, and they're levying a lot of hope on the Cruze.  However, I feel that the sale of Opel would be another step towards complete irrelevancy of American cars in Europe.

The Aveo has only just been replaced in Europe.  I think the new one only came out last year, so I doubt they'll be replacing it again anytime soon.

They need to invest majorly to bring the Chevrolet range up to par with competitors, which would defeat the point in selling Opel.

Tave

"when did Pontiac and Saturn go buh bye?"

Smoke more weed, Turtle.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.