Just bought a new (used) car!

Started by the Teuton, August 26, 2009, 09:27:59 PM

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 27, 2009, 06:24:40 AM
Congrats

I was once handily beat in my 1st Accord by a stock SL2 wagon. The cars are freaking quick cause they're light as hell, and they're pretty popular in the auto-x scene.

That would have made it an SW2..
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

omicron

Hooray! (Hooray?) A Saturn! (Saturn?)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on August 27, 2009, 08:08:10 AM
He will have to borrow Nick's swift.

That car laughs in the face of bad weather.

Swift floats on snow, water, and air. :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 27, 2009, 08:15:11 AM
Wired up CORRECTLY, a remote start on a manual transmission will require you to perform a specific sequence when shutting the car off or it will not allow a remote start.

Usually that means you have to "activate" it prior to shutting the car off, it keeps the car running while you turn the key off, get out, and then shut the engine off via remote.

At the least, you'd have to take it out of gear, right?

So you couldn't use it if you park on a hill?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Tave on August 27, 2009, 10:23:08 AM
So you couldn't use it if you park on a hill?

Depends on how much you trust your parking brake, I guess.

In addition to VTEC's post, the "incorrect" way to wire it would just be to bypass the "you have to push the clutch to start the engine" thingy and always leave the car in neutral.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on August 27, 2009, 06:37:37 AM
FWD!?  Oh no!  What if it rains or is a bit cold?

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on August 26, 2009, 09:36:32 PM
It was dark.  Here's what I got from Autotrader.

I was going to post the Craigslist ad. It looked to be a good car. I hope it serves you well.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on August 27, 2009, 02:33:37 PM

I was going to post the Craigslist ad. It looked to be a good car. I hope it serves you well.

Don't, but thank you anyway.

Getting this car titled is going to kill me.  Long story very short:  The 'rents have to come into town to title it on Saturday.  I have the receipt, and it's paid for.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 26, 2009, 10:52:26 PM
Didn't your borther have a Saturn?

He has a 2000 SL1 with 160k miles on it or so.  I wanted him to sell it to me so he could finally get his BMW, but he's saving for more important things right now.

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on August 27, 2009, 03:59:11 AM
Cool, congrats.  Sounds like my Ibiza when I got it.  Cassette head unit which I replaced for a CD player.   Besides PAS and EW, manual everything (no ABS)!  Less to go wrong, which is important on a car of this age because plenty will go wrong anyway.

Simplicity = good.

This car has the redesigned dash from the newer cars and manual seat belts.  It's like the best of both generations of SL.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 27, 2009, 06:24:40 AM
Congrats

I was once handily beat in my 1st Accord by a stock SL2 wagon. The cars are freaking quick cause they're light as hell, and they're pretty popular in the auto-x scene.

Why no Sentra SE-R though? Those are pretty gnarly.

:orly:

Quote from: Raza  on August 27, 2009, 06:37:37 AM
FWD!?  Oh no!  What if it rains or is a bit cold?

STFU! :lol:

I'mma miss the AWD.

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on August 27, 2009, 07:27:21 AM
Congrats, fellow unthusiast!

Things you'll have to watch on that car: oil burning (check every 1000 miles), engine coolant temp sensor (ECTS), upper motor mount. Also, don't do one wheel burnouts - the end result isn't pretty.

If you're like me, you're probably close to broke, so this forum will help when stuff needs to be fixed on the car.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/

I have an '01 SL1 5-speed...you were smart to buy the SL2 - that extra 24 horsepower is sorely needed.

Explain thyself.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

congrats :ohyeah:

to be honest, the car looks alot better in the pic than what I prepared myself to imagine.

does this mean that you're going to be a Saturn troll? I don't know how anyone in their right mind would manage such a thing, but if you could troll half as much for Saturn as you did for Subaru, that would make you the biggest Saturn fan the brand has ever had

AutobahnSHO

are those hubcaps or Rimz?

I drove an SL1 on my honeymoon- the in-laws drove it a long time without any problems. Kinda gutless, but a well-built car nonetheless.

Yours looks like a sensible (not super fun,) choice. May you have many miles of stress-free motoring. :lol:
Will

3.0L V6

Quote from: the Teuton on August 27, 2009, 07:06:07 PM

Explain thyself.

About the mechanical issues?

Engine coolant temp sensor: The factory one has a plastic tip that is immersed in coolant to give a reading - it is prone to cracking and failing, causing erratic/false reading, resulting in a poorly running car, as the PCM needs that information to calculate proper fuel/air ratio. A new design (in 2002, made of brass) fixes the problem permanently. The part costs about $20 at the Saturn dealership and can be changed in 30 minutes.

Oil burning: The oil control ring on the pistons are known for getting gummed up, hence letting some oil into the combustion chamber. The best solution here is just to watch and maintain the oil level properly. Check it when you fill the car with gas.

The upper motor mount is known to wear quickly, but it won't break. If you have lots of annoying rattles and whatnot at idle, check to see if the mount looks weak (see forum link I gave you). It's about $120 to buy the mount, and about 1 hr to install it. The 'How to' part of the forum gives you a step by step replacement method.

If you do something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITiUWTBuo9E&feature=channel_page) you will cause the differential pin to fail and destroy your transmission. The differential pin is located inside the transmission and cannot handle excessive wheelspin. It's one of the weak points of the car.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=richpin06a

A step by step walk-through on how to fix many things on Saturns. It could come in handy.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 28, 2009, 05:33:15 AM

I drove an SL1 on my honeymoon- the in-laws drove it a long time without any problems. Kinda gutless, but a well-built car nonetheless.

Yours looks like a sensible (not super fun,) choice. May you have many miles of stress-free motoring. :lol:
Yea this is a good car for a college guy.

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 27, 2009, 10:56:56 PM
congrats :ohyeah:

to be honest, the car looks alot better in the pic than what I prepared myself to imagine.

does this mean that you're going to be a Saturn troll? I don't know how anyone in their right mind would manage such a thing, but if you could troll half as much for Saturn as you did for Subaru, that would make you the biggest Saturn fan the brand has ever had

Thanks.  The only rust I could find on it was on the front A-arms, but it just passed inspection this month, so all's well.  The car looks pretty much awesome, sans droopy roof fabric.

And we'll see.  I'm still pretty well smitten when it comes to Subarus.  This might just be an intermediary before I get a WRX in a few years.

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 28, 2009, 05:33:15 AM

Hubcaps, with 15" tires.  My bro's SL1 has 14s.

QuoteI drove an SL1 on my honeymoon- the in-laws drove it a long time without any problems. Kinda gutless, but a well-built car nonetheless.

This one has nothing in it, and it has 24 more hp.  I'm stoked.  This thing probably doesn't weigh any more than 2,400 lbs.

QuoteYours looks like a sensible (not super fun,) choice. May you have many miles of stress-free motoring. :lol:

And thanks.  I need something that will get me through college and not embarrass me on job interviews or dates.  I think this will work.  It looks like a wonderful car for what it is.

Tave

Teuts, you've got a good head on your shoulders. Congrats, I hope she treats you well.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on August 28, 2009, 07:02:23 AM
Thanks.  The only rust I could find on it was on the front A-arms, but it just passed inspection this month, so all's well.  The car looks pretty much awesome, sans droopy roof fabric.

And we'll see.  I'm still pretty well smitten when it comes to Subarus.  This might just be an intermediary before I get a WRX in a few years.

It sure does. Word is the 1st generation Saturns are the highest quality and best-made ones; they actually gave people hope that GM could sell a competitive compact car. But alas, we know how the rest of the story goes.

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 28, 2009, 11:53:57 AM
It sure does. Word is the 1st generation Saturns are the highest quality and best-made ones; they actually gave people hope that GM could sell a competitive compact car. But alas, we know how the rest of the story goes.

Both Gens were fine. It's the L-series (So boring) and the ION that destroyed the brand.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 28, 2009, 11:53:57 AM

To its contemporaries, it's the closest thing the US has gotten to making a homegrown Civic competitor.  On paper, it was very close for its day, and I'll be darned if it wasn't just as reliable.

Eye of the Tiger

You need crazy cams so Saturn can go blub blub wAAAAAAAA nlub blub.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on August 27, 2009, 09:34:53 AM
Swift floats on snow, water, and air. :huh:

Quote from: Submariner on August 27, 2009, 10:46:25 AM

ZOMG hole in the space time continuum.

the Teuton

Today's the first whole day I've ever spent driving stick, and I have to say this:  There are some inherent flaws about this car (stereo sucks, headlights don't go off automatically, etc.) but I absolutely love my plastic car.  It's fun to drive.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on August 29, 2009, 05:01:34 PM
Today's the first whole day I've ever spent driving stick, and I have to say this:  There are some inherent flaws about this car (stereo sucks, headlights don't go off automatically, etc.) but I absolutely love my plastic car.  It's fun to drive.

Yay!

the Teuton

The former owner is quite possibly the flakiest guy I've ever met.  He called me to say that the sooner we get the Ohio plates on it, the sooner he'd give me an extra $50 just because.

I've purchased the car, the title is transferred, it's sitting in my neighborhood right now, and my dad is driving the Subaru home right now.  This guy has no reason to be so flaky, but of course, he is.  He drove this thing a total of 2,000 miles over the two years he owned it.  That's it.

Very nice guy, though.  Owner of three Subarus, a 1996 Impala SS, and a '70 Chevelle Malibu. :rockon:

the Teuton

I was going to pick James Blunt's "Goodbye My Lover," but this song is just so much more catchy. :rastaman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz5ljtYgA5g&feature=related

That's the last I saw of her today...

...and this is the first I saw of my new car!

Iffy, please add that to the "What We Drive" section, please, until I get a better picture.  I'm going to be taking out the remote starter and stereo of the Impreza sometime in the next few weeks when I go home.  Then, it's time to put the Impreza up for sale. :cry:

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on August 29, 2009, 05:01:34 PM

Yeah, there's always going to be a few quirks, and economy cars always have shitty stereos.  The stock one in my car is simply terrible.  I upgraded the head unit, and that made a big difference.  I'll get around to the speakers one of these days.

What do you mean by automatic headlights?  On every car I've ever owned, you forget to turn them off (though, there is a chime that sounds), they stay on.  Pretty cool if that wasn't the case with your Impreza.

As far as winter goes, that car with proper snows will be as good as (if not better) than a Subaru with all-season tires.  It's also a fairly common size, so you should be able to find them easily on CL for good prices.

Thoughts on driving a stick daily?  The only times I ever want an automatic is when I'm stuck in traffic.  It's so annoying to be moving 5 to 10 feet at a time, and never being able to get the clutch all the way out.  But as soon as the road opens up, all is kosher again.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on August 29, 2009, 07:18:01 PM
Yeah, there's always going to be a few quirks, and economy cars always have shitty stereos.  The stock one in my car is simply terrible.  I upgraded the head unit, and that made a big difference.  I'll get around to the speakers one of these days.

I have to find an adapter since my HU is a weird off-DIN size.  But the Kenwood will be going in soon.

QuoteWhat do you mean by automatic headlights?  On every car I've ever owned, you forget to turn them off (though, there is a chime that sounds), they stay on.  Pretty cool if that wasn't the case with your Impreza.

No, the Prez's went off automatically.  For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why the car was dinging at me. LOL.

QuoteAs far as winter goes, that car with proper snows will be as good as (if not better) than a Subaru with all-season tires.  It's also a fairly common size, so you should be able to find them easily on CL for good prices.

I think they're 195/65R15s.

QuoteThoughts on driving a stick daily?  The only times I ever want an automatic is when I'm stuck in traffic.  It's so annoying to be moving 5 to 10 feet at a time, and never being able to get the clutch all the way out.  But as soon as the road opens up, all is kosher again.

It wasn't that bad, even on the hills.  I thought I might be riding the clutch a bit, but I really wasn't.  Traffic jams suck ass more than usual, though.  I am going to miss that about my slushie.

I drove a good 50-60 miles today, if not more, and I only stalled once.  I'm catching on quickly.