Just bought a new (used) car!

Started by the Teuton, August 26, 2009, 09:27:59 PM

MrH

Wow.  That looks ridiculous.  I bet it sounds even more ridiculous.

Enjoy :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on November 30, 2010, 01:09:14 PM
It is a bit out there. The mechanics couldn't recess it any farther.

Sawzall.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

Quote from: the Teuton on November 30, 2010, 01:09:14 PM
It is a bit out there. The mechanics couldn't recess it any farther.
Ah. Seems like they could have modified the pipe somehow, but as I learned with my exhaust adventure, finding a place that will do real muffler/exhaust work that involves cutting and welding is more challenging than you'd think. Best of luck to your shins in the future :lol:.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

The Pirate

Yeah, for $340, I can overlook things like that. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on November 30, 2010, 08:59:32 PM
Yeah, for $340, I can overlook things like that.  

It ended up costing a bit more than that. But it's pretty cool in a juvenile sort of way. I need some youth-in-rebellion in my life as I drive into the sunset of my college career toward the dawn of professional life.

I have an interview for something pretty cool coming up. I will not be dropping the hammer at 3,000 RPM in that parking lot.

It gets a little loud around 2,800 RPM and sounds positively Honda-ish (but deeper) past that.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

I really do wonder what engines Saturn looked at when modeling the DOHC for the PlastiCar...

I get a strange feeling they mostly looked at Nissan's small 4 bangers of the late-1980s and early 1990s as a benchmark. From the top, the valve cover looks somewhat reminiscent of the SR20.

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on November 30, 2010, 09:08:59 PM
It ended up costing a bit more than that. But it's pretty cool in a juvenile sort of way. I need some youth-in-rebellion in my life as I drive into the sunset of my college career toward the dawn of professional life.

I have an interview for something pretty cool coming up. I will not be dropping the hammer at 3,000 RPM in that parking lot.

It gets a little loud around 2,800 RPM and sounds positively Honda-ish (but deeper) past that.

Yeah, I like to hear a little exhaust noise too.  The Mazda (while still a 4-banger) has a decent sounding motor, more throaty the Hondas and such.  Exhaust system is still intact (sans a few heat shields up front), but I'll probably upgrade a bit as things fail.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on November 30, 2010, 10:10:29 PM
Yeah, I like to hear a little exhaust noise too.  The Mazda (while still a 4-banger) has a decent sounding motor, more throaty the Hondas and such.  Exhaust system is still intact (sans a few heat shields up front), but I'll probably upgrade a bit as things fail.

We will have to race in Connecticut. And you will likely lose. Just sayin'... ;)

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on November 30, 2010, 10:15:10 PM
We will have to race in Connecticut. And you will likely lose. Just sayin'... ;)

Meh, I'm not scared to abuse the shit out of my car.  And even if it's not faster in a straight line, you got no chance in the twisties.  :devil: 

And who know what I'll be driving down at that point.  I like my car, but I'm getting a little bored (had her for over 3 years, longest I've kept a car).  And I know I shouldn't do it, but I'm very seriously considering that Audi that my co-worker has. 

J86

Quote from: the Teuton on November 30, 2010, 10:15:10 PM

Racing?  In The Land of Steady Habits?!?!

the Teuton

Oh yeah, I'm going to have a friend help me replace the valve cover gasket so the car might not burn oil in quite the Exxon Valdez kind of way it does now. Also doing spark plugs at the same time over holiday break. Any recommendations? Does it really make a difference for what is likely now 130 hp?

the Teuton

Quote from: J86 on November 30, 2010, 10:25:35 PM
Racing?  In The Land of Steady Habits?!?!

It's a little risky. When I went to Dazzleman's place, my car was definitely one of the oldest in Fairfield, and definitely the loudest. It was a bit awkward.

J86

Quote from: the Teuton on November 30, 2010, 10:28:09 PM
It's a little risky. When I went to Dazzleman's place, my car was definitely one of the oldest in Fairfield, and definitely the loudest. It was a bit awkward.

Eh, I've bumped around Fairfield in worse (or at least equal) :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on November 30, 2010, 10:27:03 PM
Oh yeah, I'm going to have a friend help me replace the valve cover gasket so the car might not burn oil in quite the Exxon Valdez kind of way it does now. Also doing spark plugs at the same time over holiday break. Any recommendations? Does it really make a difference for what is likely now 130 hp?

I replace spark plugs and plug wires regularly.  I replace my plugs every 15K miles, which is overkill, but ensures they don't seize (steel and aluminum together is not a good match).  Plug wires, every 60K miles or so.  If your current plugs are in shitty condition, then you'll likely notice a small difference.  May idle smoother, be a bit peppier, bit lower fuel consumption.  Didn't that car have 124 hp stock?

As far as valve cover gasket, that will help if it's leaking oil from that area, but oil burning is very likely a separate issue at a separate part of the engine, so replacing the valve cover gasket won't do a thing.  If it's not leaking, then I wouldn't touch it.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on November 30, 2010, 10:39:15 PM
I replace spark plugs and plug wires regularly.  I replace my plugs every 15K miles, which is overkill, but ensures they don't seize (steel and aluminum together is not a good match).  Plug wires, every 60K miles or so.  If your current plugs are in shitty condition, then you'll likely notice a small difference.  May idle smoother, be a bit peppier, bit lower fuel consumption.  Didn't that car have 124 hp stock?

As far as valve cover gasket, that will help if it's leaking oil from that area, but oil burning is very likely a separate issue at a separate part of the engine, so replacing the valve cover gasket won't do a thing.  If it's not leaking, then I wouldn't touch it.

It's leaking, too.

And it's puttering a little when it's cold, likely because some oil is infiltrating the spark plugs. It's going to run like a whole new car when it's done.

If my friends deem foreign beer quantities acceptable (read: Yuengling and whatever else they may want), I might get even more shit done. A new clutch would be cool, but I'm not going to press it unless they're cool with that. That's a bit more extensive, though.

But beer motivates many a person to go to great lengths to help others. I can always try. And GorillaSquirrelKoala products.

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on November 30, 2010, 10:44:42 PM
It's leaking, too.

And it's puttering a little when it's cold, likely because some oil is infiltrating the spark plugs. It's going to run like a whole new car when it's done.

If my friends deem foreign beer quantities acceptable (read: Yuengling and whatever else they may want), I might get even more shit done. A new clutch would be cool, but I'm not going to press it unless they're cool with that. That's a bit more extensive, though.

But beer motivates many a person to go to great lengths to help others. I can always try. And GorillaSquirrelKoala products.

I don't know man, I wouldn't change a clutch for beer alone.  For food and an hour with the sister, maybe.  :devil:

And before you launch into changing the valve cover gasket (though it's not difficult, I've done it in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart before), pull the plugs and check 'em.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on November 30, 2010, 11:05:57 PM
I don't know man, I wouldn't change a clutch for beer alone.  For food and an hour with the sister, maybe.  :devil:

And before you launch into changing the valve cover gasket (though it's not difficult, I've done it in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart before), pull the plugs and check 'em.

'Twill be done. :ohyeah:

Should I get the lowering kit/hipo struts yet? :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on November 30, 2010, 11:08:19 PM
'Twill be done. :ohyeah:

Should I get the lowering kit/hipo struts yet? :lol:

Definitely.  We drive slow cars, the more speed we can carry through corners, the better.  :devil:

Vinsanity

Just spotted the coolest PlastiCar on TV in an old rerun of Walker, Texas Ranger. It was driven by a gang of vatos, and sported a set of sweet Dayton wire wheels and whitewall tires :rockon:

Unfortunately, this was not documented on imcdb :(

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 24, 2010, 07:46:02 PM
Just spotted the coolest PlastiCar on TV in an old rerun of Walker, Texas Ranger. It was driven by a gang of vatos, and sported a set of sweet Dayton wire wheels and whitewall tires :rockon:

Unfortunately, this was not documented on imcdb :(

w00tles

Rupert

Scully drove an SL2 in an early S02 episode of the X Files.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on December 26, 2010, 11:35:59 PM
Scully drove an SL2 in an early S02 episode of the X Files.

That's implausible.

Oh, but wait: The truth is out there. :lol:

hotrodalex

Would you happen to know what the warning lights under the "BRAKE" light are? There's two and they were flashing on and off when I started mine up today. I know the one on the left is low coolant, but can't figure out what the other is. Looked for a diagram and can't find one that's helpful.

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 27, 2010, 06:46:42 PM
Would you happen to know what the warning lights under the "BRAKE" light are? There's two and they were flashing on and off when I started mine up today. I know the one on the left is low coolant, but can't figure out what the other is. Looked for a diagram and can't find one that's helpful.

Not a clue. Do you know the shape of it? My car didn't come with an owner's manual.

hotrodalex

Some sort of box. Thinkin' maybe it's a battery?

I think I'm going to check the coolant tomorrow, but my battery is perfectly fine.

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 27, 2010, 10:16:47 PM
Some sort of box. Thinkin' maybe it's a battery?

I think I'm going to check the coolant tomorrow, but my battery is perfectly fine.

Sounds like the battery -- which is a box.

This weather is a whore, and it might not be giving out all 12 volts. The one in my dad's Legacy tested at just nine volts yesterday.

the Teuton

You've asked for it. Disregard the birds chirping, but this is what the FantasticPlastic sounds like.

http://www.mediafire.com/?36yfcb6gap810qa

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton