Best way to get a CDL?

Started by S204STi, August 27, 2009, 11:50:17 AM

S204STi

I was thinking of getting a Class A or B CDL to let me drive the big rigs, and see if I can't get a regional driving job somewhere.  Any suggestions on how best to accomplish that?  Should I go to one of the driver schools, or can I get away with skipping that part and just going to the DMV?

Eye of the Tiger

Apply for a job at a trucking company that will pay to train you for the job. :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on August 27, 2009, 11:55:05 AM
Apply for a job at a trucking company that will pay to train you for the job. :huh:

Ok there's one idea.

Raza

If you go straight to the DMV, you'll need to own your own commercial truck.  They don't just have 18 wheelers sitting around waiting for people to try parallel parking in them. 

;)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19727.msg1147434#msg1147434 date=1251396439
If you go straight to the DMV, you'll need to own your own commercial truck.  They don't just have 18 wheelers sitting around waiting for people to try parallel parking in them.  

;)

Yeah, I guess the driving test would be hard.  That said, one of my brothers was able to go down to the DMV and get a CDL (not sure which class) for his job with Waste Management.  I've never done this so I'm looking for info.  I should probably give him a call too.

MX793

I don't know how it works out there, but around here getting a CDL is similar to getting any other license.  You take a test and get a permit.  With the permit you are only allowed to drive if another driver with a CDL is in the vehicle with you.  You have to take a road test to get a full license.  There are also some federally required medical examinations that go along with a CDL.

Also, if you want to haul garbage, you'll likely need a HazMat certification.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

dazzleman

Realistically, I would think the only way to get access to a suitable vehicle to drive would be to go to a school that offers a training program.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on August 27, 2009, 03:33:44 PM
I don't know how it works out there, but around here getting a CDL is similar to getting any other license.  You take a test and get a permit.  With the permit you are only allowed to drive if another driver with a CDL is in the vehicle with you.  You have to take a road test to get a full license.  There are also some federally required medical examinations that go along with a CDL.

Also, if you want to haul garbage, you'll likely need a HazMat certification.

Cool, thanks.

Quote from: dazzleman on August 27, 2009, 03:37:48 PM
Realistically, I would think the only way to get access to a suitable vehicle to drive would be to go to a school that offers a training program.

Yeah, that or Nick's suggestion seem like the most reasonable ways to go about it.

Rich

Join the military as a truck driver :huh:

edit.. sorry.. not regional, but you get to drive all over the world
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

S204STi

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 27, 2009, 04:33:46 PM

Well, I could try the National Guard.  The chances are slim with this president that I'd be deployed anyhow...

Pancor

I obtained my Ontario "AZ" (tractor/trailer) license last year and did a lot of research on how to best go about it.  Things may obviously differ from here, but attending a training school worked out to be the best option by far.  Unless you have a friend with a truck that is willing to spend quite a bit of time training you, you probably won't pass the road test on your first try.  Getting used to having 53' of trailer behind you isn't all that hard, but shifting one of those beasts smoothly every time does take some time, and will definitely be something the examiner is looking for. As well,  proper circle check procedure and air brake knowledge/operation  is critical.   Spend a couple grand on a training program and you'll learn the legalese of trucking, everything to pass the written and road tests, and you'll have a truck for the examination. 

As far as an employer training you, unless your current company has a fleet and offers advances like that you're probably out of luck.  I just can't see a truck line risking hiring an unlicensed person and training them from the ground up... :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on August 27, 2009, 04:45:41 PM
Well, I could try the National Guard.  The chances are slim with this president that I'd be deployed anyhow...

:nono:

Obama wants more troops for Afghan.

The job code is 88M- and if you think civilian truckers have it bad, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. Truck drivers are one of the most over-used, under-appreciated groups of Soldiers out there..

NOT saying definitely don't do it, but don't expect the Army to be a bed of roses.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

There must be some kind of financial aid/loan program available for a CDL course. Look into that for sure.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sparkplug

First thing you need to do is pass a written test for a CDL permit. To do that you need to read the book.

You also need to meet certain health requirements.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

S204STi

Cool, thanks folks.  I found an independent school around here so I think I'll try to sock away a couple grand and give it a shot sometime soon. 

Byteme

Quote from: R-inge on August 27, 2009, 11:50:17 AM
I was thinking of getting a Class A or B CDL to let me drive the big rigs, and see if I can't get a regional driving job somewhere.  Any suggestions on how best to accomplish that?  Should I go to one of the driver schools, or can I get away with skipping that part and just going to the DMV?

A local Jr. College near where I live offers a truck driving course of study.

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 27, 2009, 06:35:21 PM
:nono:

NOT saying definitely don't do it, but don't expect the Army to be a bed of roses.

No it's not exactly like "Kelly's Heros" is it?

S204STi

Quote from: Byteme on August 28, 2009, 11:16:07 AM
A local Jr. College near where I live offers a truck driving course of study.

Ah, good idea.  Probably less costly than a trucker school too.

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 27, 2009, 04:33:46 PM

Eh, he's got a wife and a Shih tzu, I doubt he wants to travel the world wearing green. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on August 28, 2009, 03:49:25 PM
Eh, he's got a wife and a Shih tzu, I doubt he wants to travel the world wearing green. 

Shar Pei, dude.  :nono:  My dog would ravage a Shitzu, and not in the classic film sense of the word.

But yeah, being married makes me reluctant to join the military unless we end up really having to defend our own soil.  Projecting our foreign policy and getting blown up by some cat with a hard-on for westerners doesn't sound like a good reward for learning to drive a truck.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on August 28, 2009, 06:46:38 PM
Shar Pei, dude.  :nono:  My dog would ravage a Shitzu, and not in the classic film sense of the word.

But yeah, being married makes me reluctant to join the military unless we end up really having to defend our own soil.  Projecting our foreign policy and getting blown up by some cat with a hard-on for westerners doesn't sound like a good reward for learning to drive a truck.

Plus, promotion for truck drivers SUCKS (because there are so many of them that stay in when they should get out,) because they are NOT the quickest tractors on the farm...
Will

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 29, 2009, 07:14:49 AM
Plus, promotion for truck drivers SUCKS (because there are so many of them that stay in when they should get out,) because they are NOT the quickest tractors on the farm...

Well, being smarter than the average bear like me must pay off for some of them, right?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on August 29, 2009, 07:22:42 AM
Well, being smarter than the average bear like me must pay off for some of them, right?

Sure, if you like nothing but endless frustration.. :lol:
But if you had college and a little bit of common sense, political prowess, you could get promoted faster than the average..

(the promotion scale is 0-800, 350 being the minimum to become eligible for Sergeant. College gets you 1.5 points per semester hour, up to a max of 100 points. The Commander should give someone 150pts, going before the board generally scores you 120-150, your physical fitness and rifle scores can get you another 100pts. Then awards can do 100pts, and "military education" (most easily obtained by {lame} correspondence courses another 200pts..)
Will

S204STi

Wow, that isn't too bad.  I could make Sgt I think.

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on August 30, 2009, 08:50:20 AM
Wow, that isn't too bad.  I could make Sgt I think.

What's the largest vehicle you're ever driven, Roy?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

S204STi

Quote from: dazzleman on August 30, 2009, 10:55:51 AM
What's the largest vehicle you're ever driven, Roy?

A powerwheel.

Nah, just a 15 pass van probably.  I can't recall anything bigger than that.