Maybe I don't want to work on my cars anymore.

Started by Rupert, August 28, 2009, 08:39:57 PM

Rupert

When everything goes right, I don't mind working on cars. But that never happens.

Today, I decided to change the oil and spark plugs (and filter and wires) on the Explorer. I looked under the hood, and immediately decided that I didn't want to bother with the plugs, since everything is well buried under the intake. (Which is familiar, because in order to change four of the Ranger's eight plugs-- dual spark, goddammit-- you have to remove the entire intake). So, oil. I got the oil and filter, drained the oil and... could not, for the ever loving life of me, get the filter off. What. The. Fuck. I tried my hands, a strap wrench, and then, out of frustration, a dead-blow mallet. That filter is not coming off. What dipshit screwed that filter on there that tight? I put the old oil back in there and am going to a Jiffy Lube or whatever tomorrow.  :rage: The first time I have ever taken a car to a place for a bloody oil change.

So with this (a failed oil change, the most basic thing you can do and still claim you're working on a car), and the MG that runs like butt, I'm just about ready to give up and start taking my cars to mechanics from now on.  :(
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

Dude, don a shitty T-shirt (prepare thee for oils) and stab that thing with a screwdriver. It'll come off that way. I had to do that once on my Accord.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

The Pirate

I was just going to say the same thing as Chimp.  Also, invest in an oil filter wrench that is the pliers style.  You can get some pretty good leverage with those.

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Quote from: Secret Chimp on August 28, 2009, 08:44:38 PM
Dude, don a shitty T-shirt (prepare thee for oils) and stab that thing with a screwdriver. It'll come off that way. I had to do that once on my Accord.

I almost did, until I realized that there would then be no room in which to turn the screwdriver.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on August 28, 2009, 08:47:43 PM
I was just going to say the same thing as Chimp.  Also, invest in an oil filter wrench that is the pliers style.  You can get some pretty good leverage with those.

Those might work. Again, though, there isn't a lot of room to maneuver around the filter. I bet I can make it work at an angle... Worth it too keep my never-pay-for-a-monkey-(sorry-Nick-:lol:)-to-change-my-oil streak.

Byteme

I once encountered a filter so tight all the screwdriver trick did was shread the case.  I have a wrench like someelse posted.  It did no good.  I wound up using a chisel and hammer on the rolled rim of the filter to turn it a fraction of a revolution with each blow.  If all else fails try that. 

Rupert

Quote from: Byteme on August 28, 2009, 09:05:47 PM
I once encountered a filter so tight all the screwdriver trick did was shread the case.  I have a wrench like someelse posted.  It did no good.  I wound up using a chisel and hammer on the rolled rim of the filter to turn it a fraction of a revolution with each blow.  If all else fails try that. 

Holy cow.

There's no way to get to the upper rim of the filter. It's on the bottom of the engine, and the front cross-member, transmission, etc. all make access impossible. I might just take it to a place so it's their problem if they fuck it up. :lol:

JWC

I believe it was KD Tools used to make a filter base remover tool.  It was for those situations where you've shredded the oil filter housing and the only piece left was the base.   It fit through the holes in the base and you turned it.  It was great for tight places.

Also, I have the best luck investing in an assortment of cap filter wrenches.  I've had some filter that were really stuck, but since using that style wrench I've not had a filter twist apart.

Edit:  I believe it was Lisle Tools and it appears they do not make it anymore.

Laconian

Do lube shops use air tools for tightening the filters? Whenever I try to do my own oil after a shop's had their way with it, I find it takes a Herculean feat to get the damn filter off. Stabbing it with a screwdriver worked for me when all else failed.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

JWC

Quote from: Laconian on August 28, 2009, 09:31:29 PM
Do lube shops use air tools for tightening the filters? Whenever I try to do my own oil after a shop's had their way with it, I find it takes a Herculean feat to get the damn filter off. Stabbing it with a screwdriver worked for me when all else failed.

Naw, they tighten it more than the average Joe does, because if it comes back leaking...they catch hell. 

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on August 28, 2009, 09:31:29 PM

Well, whatever they do, they can undo.

Rupert

Quote from: JWC on August 28, 2009, 09:34:46 PM
Naw, they tighten it more than the average Joe does, because if it comes back leaking...they catch hell. 

It's not supposed to be very tight, dammit!

Rupert

Quote from: JWC on August 28, 2009, 09:29:52 PM
I believe it was KD Tools used to make a filter base remover tool.  It was for those situations where you've shredded the oil filter housing and the only piece left was the base.   It fit through the holes in the base and you turned it.  It was great for tight places.

Also, I have the best luck investing in an assortment of cap filter wrenches.  I've had some filter that were really stuck, but since using that style wrench I've not had a filter twist apart.

Edit:  I believe it was Lisle Tools and it appears they do not make it anymore.

Haha, well, I guess I'd be out of luck then. 0_o

Laconian

I've also had cases where the filter wrench would slip if I applied too much force. Tapping the socket wrench handle repeatedly with a hammer did the trick. It took several dozen times but I guess the taps added up and the filter came loose. Make sure you don't hit it so hard that the filter slips.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

SVT_Power

i spent most of this afternoon working on the contour with my new toys (got my first set of tools  :lol:)

i was looking inside the explorer's engine bay while filling some coolant today and my gosh there's so much room in there. Your generation explorer's engine bay must be VERY different from ours...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

Quote from: SVT_Power on August 28, 2009, 09:49:57 PM
i spent most of this afternoon working on the contour with my new toys (got my first set of tools  :lol:)

i was looking inside the explorer's engine bay while filling some coolant today and my gosh there's so much room in there. Your generation explorer's engine bay must be VERY different from ours...

It's fairly cramped, but the oil filter is in an especially ridiculous spot...

VTEC_Inside

I have a Vise grip type version of the pliers shown above. Its great cause you can clamp the bugger on there tight and then worry about turning it. Easier then gripping and turning in one action, especially if you are short on room. Only ever HAD to use them once though.

I had a walk away moment of my own this past Sunday trying to get the leftover mid-pipe flange off the cat of my Accord. Spent 2hrs on the f'in thing before I gave up.

Ended up putting the new midpipe and muffler back in the trunk, tying the cat up off the ground with some speaker wire and paying $100 to have the muffler shop cut the fucking thing off and re-assemble the exhaust system for me.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Eye of the Tiger

I recall doing the plugs on my 4.0 Ranger without much trouble. Is your motor different?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The_Joker

I hear you. I spent 2 hours the first time changing the Miata's Oil. The idiot who engineered it must've had some skinny arms. Not to mention the person who changed it last before I got it had it tightened way too much.  I changed the Protege's oil immediately after, and that was a cinch. More room to work with and loosened it up with my hand.
94 M-Edition Miata

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on August 28, 2009, 10:36:24 PM
I recall doing the plugs on my 4.0 Ranger without much trouble. Is your motor different?

They're not too terribly sucky, but the wiring it routed under part of the intake. I guess I'm used to the MG, where it's all right there.

Rupert

Quote from: The_Joker on August 28, 2009, 11:40:28 PM
I hear you. I spent 2 hours the first time changing the Miata's Oil. The idiot who engineered it must've had some skinny arms. Not to mention the person who changed it last before I got it had it tightened way too much.  I changed the Protege's oil immediately after, and that was a cinch. More room to work with and loosened it up with my hand.

Haha, yeah, I remember how buried the oil filter is on those engines. I recall a similar situation when I changed my ex-Miata's oil for the first time, too.

S204STi

Quote from: JWC on August 28, 2009, 09:34:46 PM

+1

Also, we tend to have a kung fu grip, so the average guy isn't quite as strong.  So for us something that feels snug is probably way too tight.

S204STi

Quote from: Psilos on August 29, 2009, 12:07:28 AM
They're not too terribly sucky, but the wiring it routed under part of the intake. I guess I'm used to the MG, where it's all right there.

It is a tedious process, but it can be done without removing the intake.  The only area I had trouble with was around the EGR pipe on the driver's side.

SVT_Power

Quote from: R-inge on August 29, 2009, 07:20:25 AM
+1

Also, we tend to have a kung fu grip, so the average guy isn't quite as strong.  So for us something that feels snug is probably way too tight.

doesn't it say on the box to turn 1/4 way after the filter touches or something?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

JWC

Quote from: SVT_Power on August 29, 2009, 09:49:10 AM
doesn't it say on the box to turn 1/4 way after the filter touches or something?

Yes, but even so, leaks tend to happen.   A shop only has two choices; really, really tighten it or pay to clean someone's driveway or garage floor.  The obvious choice is to really really tighten the filter.  The reality is, anyone who goes to a shop to have their oil changed isn't going to suddenly start changing their own oil.  Since garages seldom use band wrenches, there is little risk of twisting a filter body apart trying to remove it.

S204STi

Quote from: SVT_Power on August 29, 2009, 09:49:10 AM

All of mine say 3/4-1 full turn.  I don't know who has a 1/4 turn on their filters.  Even then, I have to really grab hold of that sucker and twist to get it to that mark most the time.

S204STi

Quote from: JWC on August 29, 2009, 09:57:28 AM
Yes, but even so, leaks tend to happen.   A shop only has two choices; really, really tighten it or pay to clean someone's driveway or garage floor.  The obvious choice is to really really tighten the filter.  The reality is, anyone who goes to a shop to have their oil changed isn't going to suddenly start changing their own oil.  Since garages seldom use band wrenches, there is little risk of twisting a filter body apart trying to remove it.

Fun anecdote: The new Acadia and Enclave (and the Chevy and Saturn cousins) have the filter mounted in such a way that you have to remove it before lifting the vehicle.  It's over the subframe and a large engine mount.  This can throw you off if you are used to getting at it from beneath.  So I pulled the filter, lifted the car, drained the oil, and then started to refill the oil before reinstalling the filter.  Naturally oil comes shooting out of the filter fitting and hits the radiator shroud, subframe, and engine mount to the sum of probably 3 quarts or so before I realized what I was doing. 45mins of cleaning later I thought I had it all, but some oil had pooled in the subframe and didn't show up till the guy got home and parked it, at which time it seeped out onto his driveway.  So I had a nice little comeback on that one, plus probably another 45mins wasted cleaning the darn thing again... :facepalm:

The only thing that makes me not feel like a total dumbass is that like 3 or 4 other guys in the shop have done it too.

sportyaccordy

Yea I absolutely hate working on my car as well. But I hate driving a car w/o a stereo or shitty suspension or w/e. Big lesson learned: just get a better car to begin with.

GoCougs

I gave up working on my cars some time ago - I did so much of it I got completely burned out, and yes - things rarely ever to as planned.

I haven't changed oil in some time, and use the local touchless car wash even.

Do you have oil change receipts? A stuck filter can be an indication that it was on there entirely too long (implying poor maintenance).