The New 4Runner

Started by CJ, August 30, 2009, 01:15:48 PM

Submariner

It looks like three different designers drew up the front, middle and rear sections separately, then mashed them all together.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Catman

the Teuton

It looks a bit chunky like the older Land Cruisers.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

cawimmer430

I'm usually not one to say this, but that design looks already DATED.  :confused:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

S204STi

Quote from: Catman on August 30, 2009, 01:51:07 PM
Looks like a Highlander.

Yeah, I agree, though a but more chunky/blocky.

I read on C/D they are droppiing the V8 (So I'm glad for my dad's sake that he bought his when he did), and are adding an optional 4-banger.  Seems like it's going back to its roots a little more perhaps?  Or at least not following the Land Cruiser on the inexorable climb up the power/size/luxury latter that ruined it as an offroader.  This I could take seriously, and will hopefully someday if I can convince el Wifo that she doesn't really need a Taco, but this instead. :lol:

Catman

Quote from: R-inge on August 30, 2009, 04:20:31 PM
Yeah, I agree, though a but more chunky/blocky.

I read on C/D they are droppiing the V8 (So I'm glad for my dad's sake that he bought his when he did), and are adding an optional 4-banger.  Seems like it's going back to its roots a little more perhaps?  Or at least not following the Land Cruiser on the inexorable climb up the power/size/luxury latter that ruined it as an offroader.  This I could take seriously, and will hopefully someday if I can convince el Wifo that she doesn't really need a Taco, but this instead. :lol:

I always felt that a V8 in the 4Runner and Pathfinder were overkill.

the Teuton

Quote from: Catman on August 30, 2009, 04:35:43 PM
I always felt that a V8 in the 4Runner and Pathfinder were overkill.

They were, but in a perfectly good way. :ohyeah:

I hope they offer a stick with one or both of the engines like they do in the FJ Cruiser.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Gotta-Qik-C7

I'm not a fan. Hell, I can't think of any Toyota I like.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

ifcar

I really hope we're seeing distorted images. If not, it's the 4Runner that's distorted.

Atomic

i like it! it finally looks like a "real" suv, not a pick-up with a cap!

CJ

Quote from: Atomic on August 31, 2009, 11:55:23 AM
i like it! it finally looks like a "real" suv, not a pick-up with a cap!

Piss off.  You're not allowed to like this abomination.  The last 4Runner looked excellent.  The one before that looked excellent as well.  This is fucking appalling. 

Lebowski

I'll reserve judgment until I see better pics.  From what I see, I don't love it but given some of Toyota's recent designs it could have been a lot worse.

r0tor

the current one looks to have more character

and IMO the V6 is adequate in my fathers 2006 4runner
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

93JC

:nutty:

If they're ditching the V8 and adding a four-cylinder, what's the point of the Highlander?

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on August 31, 2009, 03:47:22 PM
:nutty:

If they're ditching the V8 and adding a four-cylinder, what's the point of the Highlander?

Car-based comfort and interior versatility.

93JC

Then what's the point of the 4Runner? Truck-based discomfort and interior uselessness?

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on August 31, 2009, 03:56:20 PM
Then what's the point of the 4Runner? Truck-based discomfort and interior uselessness?

Off-road prowess?

ifcar

Off-road and towing?

ifcar

The existence of the 4Runner in general is for more off-road and towing ability than the Highlander. The existence of a 4-cylinder version is presumably for people who just want the image but want to save money, and/or to advertise a lower cost/higher mileage version.

Why not offer one?

93JC

I don't know why they offer it at all. My anecdotal evidence suggests no one buys the 4Runner anymore. Nor the Sequoia.

And they still sell a Land Cruiser down there, right? So... RAV4, Highlander, 4Runner, Sequoia, Land Cruiser?

Oh, and FJ Cruiser!

SIX SUVs? WTF? Toyota makes a wider variety of SUVs than Jeep!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on August 31, 2009, 04:15:52 PM
I don't know why they offer it at all. My anecdotal evidence suggests no one buys the 4Runner anymore. Nor the Sequoia.

And they still sell a Land Cruiser down there, right? So... RAV4, Highlander, 4Runner, Sequoia, Land Cruiser?

Oh, and FJ Cruiser!

SIX SUVs? WTF?

Don't forget the Venza. It's supposed to be some kind of SUV thing.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Catman

:wtf:

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on August 31, 2009, 04:15:52 PM

Oh, and FJ Cruiser!

SIX SUVs? WTF? Toyota makes a wider variety of SUVs than Jeep!

What's wrong with options?

Here are last month's US sales, by the way:

RAV4: 15,912
FJ Cruiser: 386
Venza: 5780
Highlander: 9407
4Runner: 1,055
Sequoia: 789
Land Cruiser: 209

Considering the 4Runner's age, its sales remain acceptable, and presumably a redesign would be a boost. The Sequoia and FJ likely won't see another generation, but offering the Land Cruiser here is low-investment because of its broad global appeal.

Eye of the Tiger

The poor FJ. At least it's probably outselling Ford's Flex, anyway.

ifcar

Quote from: NACar on August 31, 2009, 04:37:39 PM
The poor FJ. At least it's probably outselling Ford's Flex, anyway.

The Flex's sales still aren't great, but they've been improving.

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on August 31, 2009, 04:06:19 PM
ROFLcopter.

... with a four-banger...? :nutty:

I realize you just turned like 13 or something so your experience in the world is limited, but it was relatively recently that the 4Runner even offered a V8 at all, in the past a 4-banger was offered, and historically it was always a fabulous offroad vehicle.  This should only continue the legacy.

Eye of the Tiger

I wish the Rodeo had a 4.3 liter DOHC 32 valve V8. All things being equal, that would put it at 273 hp, and make it nearly as fast as a Camry V6.  :wub:

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on August 31, 2009, 04:45:37 PM
I realize you just turned like 13 or something so your experience in the world is limited, but it was relatively recently that the 4Runner even offered a V8 at all, in the past a 4-banger was offered, and historically it was always a fabulous offroad vehicle.  This should only continue the legacy.

Uh-oh, now he's going to say that the Wrangler is the only current vehicle that's even acceptable off-road.