Best (and Worst) convertible translations

Started by 2o6, August 30, 2009, 05:14:45 PM

Colin

Top down is indeed wonderful.......... I had a Merc CLK280 Cabrio for the day on Sunday and the roof was down all day, even after dark. I only closed it when I was parking the car up in the Hertz garage at Kloten airport.

But........ that only works in decent climate. A convertible in the pouring rain needs the roof closed, sadly! And we get plenty of pouring rain in western Europe!

ChrisV

Quote from: Colin on September 01, 2009, 07:36:37 AM
Top down is indeed wonderful.......... I had a Merc CLK280 Cabrio for the day on Sunday and the roof was down all day, even after dark. I only closed it when I was parking the car up in the Hertz garage at Kloten airport.

But........ that only works in decent climate. A convertible in the pouring rain needs the roof closed, sadly! And we get plenty of pouring rain in western Europe!

And if it's pouring rain, you either 1) aren't worried about how beautiful it is with the top up or 2) you have it parked and take the practical car.

I owned a lot of convertibles in the Pacific NorthWest, and you know the reputation that region has for rain! ;)

For example, this is a rare picture:

It only had the top up if it had to be parked in the driveway for any length of time, just in case it rained. Most of the time (and, unless I got caught in a rainstorm, every time I was driving it), it looked like this:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Galaxy

Quote from: 2o6 on August 31, 2009, 07:29:58 PM
I've always thought the 1st gen Sebring Convertible was attractive.

Really, the 90's, early 2000's is when Chrysler/Dodge was in it's groove in terms of styling.

I agree from a styling point of view Chrysler was doing well in the mid 90s. That Sebring was fairly popular even in Germany. The new one...I've seen only one.

BimmerM3

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on August 31, 2009, 02:01:00 PM
I forgot to mention the Merc SL.  Perhaps the best looking hardtop convertible IMO.

The SL isn't a translation from a coupe though.

Worst:
PT Cruiser
350z

Not horrible, but definitely not good:
3-series
IS

Acceptable:
1-series
6-series
G37

Best:
I can't think of any that I really like that are currently on the market. Cars designed as converts for the win.

280Z Turbo

The three worst ones that come to mind:

-Cutlass Supreme convertible
-370Z
-350Z

Hachee

The 350Z is really one of the worst ever.  The new 370 is so much better.

I've always thought that '90s Sebring was a remarkably goodlooking car.  The current one is an abomination that I can't even look at.

Almost all hardtop convertibles look like shit when they're based on coupes, or worse, hatches.  Somehow, for me at least, the current 3 Series works though.  But the 6 Series convertible looks like a fat poseur's car.

Crappy - Maserati Spyder.  looks like a $15,000 nothing.

911's - I've always preferred the coupe, and never liked the convertibles.  But now the very oldest ones have sort of a quirky classic appeal to me.  Still wouldn't want one.

just some random ramblings.

Raza

Top down, the 350Z looks pretty good.  Do you really care that much about the top up looks?  I'm with Chris.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Hachee

I think the 350Z looks terrible top down or top up - take your pick.  And that's saying a lot, because most convertibles look good with the top down. 

2o6

Quote from: Hachee on September 03, 2009, 01:14:13 PM
I think the 350Z looks terrible top down or top up - take your pick.  And that's saying a lot, because most convertibles look good with the top down. 

I don't understand. I think the 350Z looked fine.

Hachee

Beauty is subjective, righ?  While I was okay with the coupe (I never loved it, but didn't hate it), I just thought the convertible was all wrong.  Squashed looking...awkward roof...just did not agree with me asthetically. 

What's interesting to me is that the 370Z, while clearly quite similar to the 350, just looks a million times better.  And I also have to admit that when I first saw the 370Z coupe, I thought it was overstyled and cartoonish, but it quickly grew on me, and the convertible just somehow looks right. 

Vinsanity

Quote from: Hachee on September 03, 2009, 01:24:58 PM
What's interesting to me is that the 370Z, while clearly quite similar to the 350, just looks a million times better.  And I also have to admit that when I first saw the 370Z coupe, I thought it was overstyled and cartoonish, but it quickly grew on me, and the convertible just somehow looks right.  

Pretty much agree with everything here. I'd have to pass on the 350Z roadster in favor of the coupe, but everything seems to be made right with the 370Z roadster. Within my financial reach and speaking strictly of new cars, this is my sports car of choice hands down...(well, we'll see when the Camaro convertible comes out)

Hachee

Quote from: ChrisV on September 01, 2009, 08:17:42 AM
And if it's pouring rain, you either 1) aren't worried about how beautiful it is with the top up or 2) you have it parked and take the practical car.

I owned a lot of convertibles in the Pacific NorthWest, and you know the reputation that region has for rain! ;)

For example, this is a rare picture:

It only had the top up if it had to be parked in the driveway for any length of time, just in case it rained. Most of the time (and, unless I got caught in a rainstorm, every time I was driving it), it looked like this:

Just had to say that that Fiat and Jag are two of my all time favorites.  Loved them when they were new, and still do. 

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

omicron

Quote from: CJ on August 31, 2009, 02:31:07 PM

That's Barry Wolk's Continental.  It's not a Lincoln. 

Technically speaking, the coupes aren't Lincolns either.

I did mean to put up the Hess & Eisenhardt version, because I have no idea who this Barry chap is.