Manufacturers aren't utilizing all options for efficiency IMO

Started by sportyaccordy, August 31, 2009, 11:25:36 AM

93JC

Quote from: NACar on August 31, 2009, 03:58:54 PM
Yours as in yours Mazda3 doesn't?

Sorry, the old Dodge doesn't. I have no idea what the Mazda does. I think a lot of new cars do it automatically simply because they're tailored to markets where it's used as a defogger. Here it's pretty much useless, because the air is very dry to begin with.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on August 31, 2009, 04:01:46 PM
Piezos also work in reverse - deform them and they produce a current - this is how click-style push-button ignitors work on grills and camping stoves.

Piezoelectrics are also the magic behind quartz watch movements.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on August 31, 2009, 04:09:30 PM
Piezoelectrics are also the magic behind quartz watch movements.
Don't forget ear-splitting buzzers. My parents rued the day I discovered how to use the piezo buzzer on my 60-In-One.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

I just learned about this stuff at SAE, and here you guys are ahead of the game!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on August 31, 2009, 02:35:51 PM
Market studies I'm sure state that the 1-2 mpg savings isn't worth the moderate cost ($2,000+ I'd bet) for such motor systems.

The efficiency gains of running A/C compressor off of an electric motor will be minuscule as the normal course of operation the typical A/C compressor has a clutch that will cut out when need be.

Some efficiency gains can be found in oil pumps, PS pumps, water pumps, etc., but only because those systems either must run all the time, or do not have a clutch like an A/C compressor.

No way it would cost that much. You have a compressor w/o a clutch, and you'd add a motor and *maybe* a DC-AC rectifier. I use A/C 6 months out of a year... and it definitely impacts my gas mileage. The premium for the added efficiency would be worth the extra $500 or so

BimmerM3

Quote from: 93JC on August 31, 2009, 03:51:37 PM
Depends on the car. Some automatically kick on the A/C compressor, some don't. Mine doesn't. And obviously the cars out there without A/C still have defrost...

My Accord does, but you can just hit the AC button to turn it off again, and keep blowing through the defrost vents.

BimmerM3

Quote from: MX793 on August 31, 2009, 03:36:04 PM
A bigger, more powerful alternator that is still belt driven and will now take more mechanical power to be turned.  And unlike the AC compressor, that saps the bulk of the mechanical power only when operating, the beefier alternator will be sapping more power 100% of the time the engine is running regardless of whether the AC is on or not.

Yeah, that too.

giant_mtb

I worked on microelectromechanical systems (MEMS - google-image that shit) at school this past year that used piezoelectric materials to move.  It was neat.

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 31, 2009, 08:33:54 PM
I worked on microelectromechanical systems (MEMS - google-image that shit) at school this past year that used piezoelectric materials to move.  It was neat.

They're also used in industry, too, for small, precision positioning products like this.

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on August 31, 2009, 08:49:06 PM
They're also used in industry, too, for small, precision positioning products like this.

And what does that thing do, anyways? :confused:

the Teuton

I knew we had an intelligent group of people here, but who knew you'd all be up on Piezo electronics?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 31, 2009, 05:34:32 PM
No way it would cost that much. You have a compressor w/o a clutch, and you'd add a motor and *maybe* a DC-AC rectifier. I use A/C 6 months out of a year... and it definitely impacts my gas mileage. The premium for the added efficiency would be worth the extra $500 or so

Then why don't automakers do it?

Your mileage I bet isn't impacted more than what you could reliably measure - 5 hp drag simply isn't going to be that much of a MPG killer.

Byteme's hunch is correct IMO - a 3-6 hp DC motor rated for continuous use would be expensive and relatively large - much more so than a starter motor for example.

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 31, 2009, 08:59:40 PM

Those are small x-y and rotary positioners that use programming to position to a predefined coordinate position. I've used them in the past in labs and clean rooms for ultra-precise positioning of things such as lasers and sensors.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 31, 2009, 08:59:40 PM

It's an actuator. You'd use something like that for precision component positioning in automated assembly lines.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on August 31, 2009, 09:00:21 PM
Then why don't automakers do it?

Your mileage I bet isn't impacted more than what you could reliably measure - 5 hp drag simply isn't going to be that much of a MPG killer.

Byteme's hunch is correct IMO - a 3-6 hp DC motor rated for continuous use would be expensive and relatively large - much more so than a starter motor for example.
5hp is a huge drag in stop/go traffic, and the compressor is hardly ever working at its most efficient speed.

And an A/C to cool a 350 sq ft room barely consumes 1hp, compressor + evap fan included. I don't see where this 3-6 HP figure is coming from. If anything, because the compressor is belt driven it may very well use all that power for 1-2HP of effective cooling.

Obviously there are reasons why manfuacturers aren't doing it... prob retooling + redesigning costs... but I still think it's viable. I wish I was still in school, I'd be able to prove this in the lab. Would have made a good senior project.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 01, 2009, 08:18:49 AM
5hp is a huge drag in stop/go traffic, and the compressor is hardly ever working at its most efficient speed.

And an A/C to cool a 350 sq ft room barely consumes 1hp, compressor + evap fan included. I don't see where this 3-6 HP figure is coming from. If anything, because the compressor is belt driven it may very well use all that power for 1-2HP of effective cooling.

Obviously there are reasons why manfuacturers aren't doing it... prob retooling + redesigning costs... but I still think it's viable. I wish I was still in school, I'd be able to prove this in the lab. Would have made a good senior project.

If your A/C is affecting your power and/or MPG that drastically to me it sounds like there is something wrong. Further, compressor load won't be the same all the time; it'll vary on the amount of cooling.

Belt drive trains are very efficient - well above 90%. I imagine the valving and the like in the system to get it to work well over a wide RPM range does hurt efficiency however.

You don't need a lab to prove out the economics of it, however. Further, your average automaker has scores to hundreds of engineers on staff that do nothing other than tinkering with new ways to improve product.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on August 31, 2009, 08:49:06 PM

Is it the same thing that creates the spark on a butane lighter?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 31, 2009, 05:34:32 PM

In engineering there is no free lunch.  The electricity to power that electric motor has to come from somewhere and it ciomes from the engine.   For argument's sake lets say the AC compressor take 5 HP.  Assuming no effeciency loses that equates to about 3,725 watts.  Again with no efficnency loses you are looking at 310 amps.  Automobile alternators are typically 50-62% efficient so you would actually need a 500-620 amp alternator. That's one big ass alternator and a 500 amp alternator takes about 8 hp to generate those 500 watts.  So you have a power deficit of 3 HP. And we still haven't address the extra weight and cost penalty.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 01, 2009, 08:18:49 AM

Here is the proof that you are looking for, on an RSX-S anyway...

As you can see from that, its actually greater than 3-6hp. That's with a fair sized pulley advantage (ie the A/C in the RSX does sweet bugger all at idle)
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

MrH

Quote from: the Teuton on August 31, 2009, 09:00:06 PM
I knew we had an intelligent group of people here, but who knew you'd all be up on Piezo electronics?

Enginerds learn how things work.  That's what we do.

The coolest, newest use of piezo electrics?  Piezo electric haptic feedback on the new Blackberry Storm 2.  There are 4 under the touch screen at the corners, and they can vary how much they vibrate.  Combine those all together, and you get a small vibration right where you press, and the phone makes a "click" noise.  It's supposed to be ridiculous how it feels like you just pressed a button.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on September 02, 2009, 01:18:03 PM

The coolest, newest use of piezo electrics?  Piezo electric haptic feedback on the new Blackberry Storm 2.  There are 4 under the touch screen at the corners, and they can vary how much they vibrate.  Combine those all together, and you get a small vibration right where you press, and the phone makes a "click" noise.  It's supposed to be ridiculous how it feels like you just pressed a button.

WHY DUZINT MY IFONE DO THAT :lockedup:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: MrH on September 02, 2009, 01:18:03 PM

WOW. That's how that works?

I thought the screen actually depressed like a button.

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on September 02, 2009, 04:44:37 PM

WOW. That's how that works?

I thought the screen actually depressed like a button.

The old one did.  The new one doesn't.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19778.msg1150995#msg1150995 date=1251816556
Is it the same thing that creates the spark on a butane lighter?

Actually, I'm not sure. I wouldn't down that at least some do - the candle lighters I'm pretty sure have piezo ignitors.

GoCougs

Quote from: the Teuton on August 31, 2009, 09:00:06 PM

Now check this out.

The piezo electric in this precision positioner actually acts as a motor, and is controlled (via current and voltage) with electronics typically used to control electric rotary (or linear) motors.