Saturn & Saab: kaput in Canada

Started by 93JC, August 31, 2009, 09:31:36 PM

93JC

Done. Fini. Last week GM Canada quietly leaked their plans to shutter Saab. Today they officially announced Saturn sales will end later this year. Penske will not sell Saturns in Canada.

sparkplug

I hope Penske doesn't Uranus on Canada.

Hey 93JC. Want to fix this sentence. hehehehe :lol:
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

the Teuton

Saturn as we know it is dead.  I wonder how loyalists -- like real loyalists, not me -- will be responding to steel-bodied, Asian-built, French-designed cars.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Xer0

Quote from: the Teuton on August 31, 2009, 09:45:41 PM
Saturn as we know it is dead.  I wonder how loyalists -- like real loyalists, not me -- will be responding to steel-bodied, Asian-built, French-designed cars.

Saturn has loyalists?

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

I wonder if Koenigsegg-owned Saab will take back the old dealership network.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

3.0L V6

Quote from: the Teuton on August 31, 2009, 10:40:15 PM
Cult-like.

They're all cult-like over the plastic cars. Especially the S-series. Otherwise, they don't really care.

As for Saturn and Saab in Canada....*shrug*

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on August 31, 2009, 10:46:00 PM
Subaru:AWD as Saturn:???

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on September 01, 2009, 07:12:16 AM
They're all cult-like over the plastic cars. Especially the S-series. Otherwise, they don't really care.

Pretty much.  The cars also seem to be pretty reliable.

93JC

Quote from: Laconian on August 31, 2009, 10:46:25 PM
I wonder if Koenigsegg-owned Saab will take back the old dealership network.

A lot of them have closed already anyway. The only one I've been to had a liquidation sale a couple months ago and now sells Hyundais.

cawimmer430

I'm gonna do an Ifcar now:   :thumbsup:  :devil:

Kaput is spelled kaputt.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Payman

AutobahnSHO

Will

JWC

It seems now Saturn will shut down in the U.S.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

I just heard about the Penske thing.  Sucks.  I guess.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

L. ed foote

Member, Self Preservation Society

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on September 30, 2009, 04:02:34 PM
yup, Penske pulled the offer

After Renault decided against supplying him any cars to sell as Saturns.

SVT666

Saturn sucks anyway.  Nobody will miss them.

S204STi

Sucks for my company.  We now have like 8 or 10 techs who need a home, which could mean that they bring them over here to take work from me and the others here already.  We're already way overstaffed, but knowing our company I am just waiting for them to stick every possible tech in this building...

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 30, 2009, 04:32:11 PM
Saturn sucks anyway.  Nobody will miss them.

The deal would have brought in an entirely new set of products. The only things that would be preserved would be the name and the dealer network, neither of which suck.

JWC

Payman

If Geely buys Volvo, it would seem a no-brainer for another Chinese manf to buy Saturn. Chery maybe.

Galaxy

Quote from: Payman on September 30, 2009, 08:15:06 PM
If Geely buys Volvo, it would seem a no-brainer for another Chinese manf to buy Saturn. Chery maybe.

Unlike Volvo Saturn has no real hard assets.

ifcar

Quote from: Galaxy on October 01, 2009, 02:30:30 AM
Unlike Volvo Saturn has no real hard assests.

A dealer network. But yes, no engineering of its own.

Onslaught

Quote from: R-inge on September 30, 2009, 04:34:40 PM
Sucks for my company.  We now have like 8 or 10 techs who need a home, which could mean that they bring them over here to take work from me and the others here already.  We're already way overstaffed, but knowing our company I am just waiting for them to stick every possible tech in this building...
Sorry. But that sounds about right. It's what my place would do.

Byteme

Quote from: Payman on September 30, 2009, 08:15:06 PM

Why?  Has Saturn every really made a profit?  Is the name plate one that conjurs up some mystical loyalty that makes it worth preserving? 

sportyaccordy

Quote from: JWC on September 30, 2009, 02:54:24 PM
It seems now Saturn will shut down in the U.S.
LOL so much for that commercial campaign. Poor black dude, you could hear him pleading...

"Some dude on the TV said Saturn doesn't make good cars. Saturn makes good cars! :(" :lol:

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on September 30, 2009, 04:39:04 PM
The deal would have brought in an entirely new set of products. The only things that would be preserved would be the name and the dealer network, neither of which suck.
I'm not talking about new products.  Their current lineup is nothing special, and the lineup before this current group sucked.  Nobody will miss this brand.  The name might not suck, but when people hear it, they associate shitty product with it...warranted or not.  Nobody will miss this brand.