Lexus crash raises some questions.

Started by shp4man, September 01, 2009, 09:09:47 AM

Raza

The ones that are raised up over the lip and have the small opening?  I really like those.  No spills in the cupholder.  I hate cleaning coffee out of my cupholder. 

Not that I really drink coffee in the car anymore. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

VTEC_Inside

Sorry, if you had time to call 911, you had plenty of time to figure out at least one way of stopping the car.

As far as I know, there is no car that has any type of lock mechanism to prevent a shift from D to N.

The rev limiter would prevent the engine from blowing while you figured out how to shut it off anyway. Plus when you come to a stop the lower rev limiter would kick in and drop the revs to around 4000rpms as well.

What makes this more difficult to believe is that I can understand reluctance to do that in your own car, but this was a freakin loaner, who cares...

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

JWC

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 01, 2009, 12:59:57 PM
Maybe.  :lol:

The BMW 118i has an engine start/stop button and I can't for the love of Christ try to imagine how I might accidentally press it while driving.  :hammerhead:

A friend has a Toyota ( I think) that has a push-to-start button located on the right side of the steering column.   At that position, it isn't that difficult for someone in the passenger seat to reach over and push the button...say a child.  When I worked for a Honda dealer, we towed in an Accord that had been shoved into park at over 60mph.  It was an irate child, pissed because he couldn't have ice cream.  The transmission exploded and the car started doing 360's down the 680.

Three seconds is probably to make it child proof.  You wouldn't believe the number of vehicles that came in for warranty radio repairs that turned out to have pennies and dimes in them from kids feeding coins into the CD player slot.  A lot of seat belt problems also result from coin insertion.   

Speed_Racer

Quote from: JWC on September 01, 2009, 06:33:41 PM
A friend has a Toyota ( I think) that has a push-to-start button located on the right side of the steering column.   At that position, it isn't that difficult for someone in the passenger seat to reach over and push the button...say a child.  When I worked for a Honda dealer, we towed in an Accord that had been shoved into park at over 60mph.  It was an irate child, pissed because he couldn't have ice cream.  The transmission exploded and the car started doing 360's down the 680.

Three seconds is probably to make it child proof.  You wouldn't believe the number of vehicles that came in for warranty radio repairs that turned out to have pennies and dimes in them from kids feeding coins into the CD player slot.  A lot of seat belt problems also result from coin insertion.   

Sounds like instead of more interlocks, we need better parenting. Oh wait, that requires personal responsibility. Sorry to go off-topic. :lol:

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 01, 2009, 12:59:57 PM
Maybe.  :lol:

The BMW 118i has an engine start/stop button and I can't for the love of Christ try to imagine how I might accidentally press it while driving.  :hammerhead:

I thought BMW's were the same way.  Go try it, I'd be surprised if it shuts down with a single press of the button while moving at high speed.  Lexus's press and hold thing is pretty standard issue I believe.

Morris Minor

He evidently:
could not put it into neutral.
could not use the brakes.
could not shut off the engine.
Wow.

We also learn:
"... when the throttle pedal is fully open unintentionally, some drivers react by hitting the brakes multiple times. This action depletes the vehicle's vacuum-based power assist, and without that assistance, the brakes must be applied with much more force. Continued driving in that manner can result in overheating the brakes, further diminishing their effectiveness."

So you lose servo vacuum when the engine is racing. We are duly warned.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Submariner

Quote from: 93JC on September 01, 2009, 01:10:20 PM
You wouldn't think someone would start a car while in gear, but people did and now we have clutch interlocks. And on automatic transmissions, brake pedal interlocks. And cups of coffee have "CAUTION: CONTENTS MAY BE HOT" on them, in case you forgot what coffee is like.

People are, in general, very, very stupid.

ZOMG HOT COFFEE SCALDED MY FAT ASS I NEED MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO QUENCH THE PAIN LOLOLOLOLOLOL
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Damn...i'd beat the hell out of that little bastard.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: Speed_Racer on September 01, 2009, 07:06:05 PM
Sounds like instead of more interlocks, we need better parenting. Oh wait, that requires personal responsibility. Sorry to go off-topic. :lol:

Sounds more like we need fewer children.

I'll get my shovel.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Yep, definitely a Honda.  :thumbsup:  :devil:

Quote from: JWC on September 01, 2009, 06:33:41 PMThree seconds is probably to make it child proof.  You wouldn't believe the number of vehicles that came in for warranty radio repairs that turned out to have pennies and dimes in them from kids feeding coins into the CD player slot.  A lot of seat belt problems also result from coin insertion.   

True. Good point. I had completely forgotten about the child safety aspect. It does make sense though.

On the other hand, in a near accident situation 3 seconds is a lot of time...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

this is one odd story... sadly, i believe the officers aumotive intelligence probably rates up there with the officer who ticketed my friends audi for a blown tailight despite all attempts to show him both tailights were working and the difference between the two was the rear fog light.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

shp4man

To those of us who work on automotive electronic systems, it's common knowledge that the Japanese aren't exactly cutting edge in the latest electronic systems. Like electronic throttle bodies for example.

GoCougs

Quote from: shp4man on September 02, 2009, 12:32:53 PM
To those of us who work on automotive electronic systems, it's common knowledge that the Japanese aren't exactly cutting edge in the latest electronic systems. Like electronic throttle bodies for example.

So this means Japanese throttle bodies are are prone to jam open and for nanny systems (i.e., brake use with throttle open = engine cut-off) to fail simultaneously?

shp4man

Quote from: GoCougs on September 02, 2009, 01:10:45 PM
So this means Japanese throttle bodies are are prone to jam open and for nanny systems (i.e., brake use with throttle open = engine cut-off) to fail simultaneously?

I don't know what happened. But this particular car did have a problem with the throttle. It also burst into flame after it came to a stop. It may have been some kind of PCM software issue, I don't know.

Colonel Cadillac

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on September 02, 2009, 10:02:11 AM
this is one odd story... sadly, i believe the officers aumotive intelligence probably rates up there with the officer who ticketed my friends audi for a blown tailight despite all attempts to show him both tailights were working and the difference between the two was the rear fog light.
I hope your friend contested the ticket.

GoCougs

Quote from: shp4man on September 02, 2009, 01:45:44 PM
I don't know what happened. But this particular car did have a problem with the throttle. It also burst into flame after it came to a stop. It may have been some kind of PCM software issue, I don't know.

Sorry - with article as written I don't buy the stuck throttle or multi-mechanical failure conclusion at all.

I'm all ears if/when there is objective data available.

r0tor

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 02, 2009, 03:15:50 PM
I hope your friend contested the ticket.

he's getting a DUI out of it (.09 BAC vs vs limit of .08)  :facepalm:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on September 02, 2009, 03:14:42 PM
Neutral + brakes?
You woulda thunk... but we learn from the article that...
"The [NHTSA] researchers also said that when the throttle pedal is fully open unintentionally, some drivers react by hitting the brakes multiple times. This action depletes the vehicle's vacuum-based power assist..."

It seems that brake servos stop working at wide open throttle.

r0tor

i bed in my brake pads by applying the gas and break at the same time... the brakes always work

Morris Minor

I'd say the article was written by exceptionally-lazy people of low intelligence - American journalists in other words.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: r0tor on September 03, 2009, 07:29:38 AM
i bed in my brake pads by applying the gas and break at the same time... the brakes always work

The article points out that at WOT there is next to no manifold vacuum to restore the vacuum in the brake booster. It would be like stepping on the brakes with the engine off. You'd get like 2 pumps and then no more assist.

r0tor

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on September 03, 2009, 02:02:39 PM
The article points out that at WOT there is next to no manifold vacuum to restore the vacuum in the brake booster. It would be like stepping on the brakes with the engine off. You'd get like 2 pumps and then no more assist.

have you ever tried auto-xing using leftfoot braking - its not uncommon to be jumping on the brakes while your foots still on the gas...  

Also commonly in racing before a turn on a long straight, the driver will pump the brake a few times before the braking zone to test the brakes and get the pads out close to the rotors...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on September 01, 2009, 01:10:20 PM
You wouldn't think someone would start a car while in gear, but people did and now we have clutch interlocks. And on automatic transmissions, brake pedal interlocks. And cups of coffee have "CAUTION: CONTENTS MAY BE HOT" on them, in case you forgot what coffee is like.

People are, in general, very, very stupid.

Don't forget DANGER DON'T OPEN THE SODA BOTTLE WHILE POINTING THE CAP AT YOUR EYES warnings.

Will

93JC

Orly?

Haven't seen that. My little bottle of Coke Zero doesn't have any warnings on it.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: r0tor on September 03, 2009, 04:43:06 PM
have you ever tried auto-xing using leftfoot braking - its not uncommon to be jumping on the brakes while your foots still on the gas... 

Also commonly in racing before a turn on a long straight, the driver will pump the brake a few times before the braking zone to test the brakes and get the pads out close to the rotors...

I get all that, but if the throttle butterfly doesn't close at all there is simply no new vacuum generated.

r0tor

even at WOT there is vacuum (unless your FI).  air would never be sucked through the intake if there was no pressure difference...

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: r0tor on September 03, 2009, 04:43:06 PM

I get all that, but if the throttle butterfly doesn't close at all there is simply no new vacuum generated.
Quote from: r0tor on September 04, 2009, 11:02:02 AM
even at WOT there is vacuum (unless your FI).  air would never be sucked through the intake if there was no pressure difference...

But the pressure difference is within the cylinders, not within the intake manifold.

I guess the real question is, is there still enough of a pressure difference in the intake manifold at WOT for air to be pulled from the brake booster vs the open throttle body?

93JC

Quote from: r0tor on September 04, 2009, 11:02:02 AM

At WOT manifold vacuum is at its lowest, though.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

r0tor

Quote from: 93JC on September 04, 2009, 11:28:34 AM
At WOT manifold vacuum is at its lowest, though.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

however, if you pop a vaccuum hose off it will futz everything up and you will hear the air leak....