2010 Sonata

Started by CJ, September 01, 2009, 06:48:24 PM

CJ

PRESS RELEASE:

Hyundai Motor Begins to Take Pre-launch Orders for YF (Sonata)

(Sept. 1, 2009) Hyundai Motor Company is ready to start taking orders tomorrow for its all-new Sonata, codenamed YF, ahead of the car's official launch Sept 10th in the Korea domestic market. In replacing the NF Sonata which was launched in Sept. 2004, Hyundai decided to retain the Sonata name as the mid-size car has been Korea's perennial best-seller.

The new Sonata is fitted with a 6-speed automatic transmission and delivers gratifying performance through its 2-liter Theta II gasoline engine. Delivering 12.8 kilometers per liter, it achieves the highest fuel economy in its segment. In addition, safety has been upgraded with Vehicle Dynamic Control now supplied as a standard feature.

*VDC : Improves the safety of a vehicle's stability by detecting and minimizing skids.

The overall comfort has been enhanced through a variety of new technologies and premium specifications such as a panoramic sunroof, gear shift paddles attached to the steering wheel, and a push-button starting system.

The rendering preview features coupe like body style and exudes a dynamic image. The front side communicates an image of strength through a wide radiator grill and sharp-edged headlamp.

The flowing coupe-like lines of the new Sonata eloquently express Hyundai's "fluidic sculpture" design language, a new design direction that will play a pivotal role in enhancing the brand. Hyundai is confident that the new Sonata, equipped with the company's latest technologies, will continue the long string of successes earned by Sonata over the years.

Since the launch of the very first generation Sonata in October 1985 in Korea, 4.45 million units of Sonata have been sold worldwide. In 2004, Sonata earned the highest ranking in J.D. Power's Initial Quality Survey in the Entry Midsize Car category.

Catman

That's exactly what it will look like.

cawimmer430

That looks more like 2035 than 2010.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

There have been uncovered spy shots that show the same styling cues -- including the roofline and the garish grille -- but more normal proportions.

nickdrinkwater

Catman

Wheels now look too small.

Galaxy

The grill certainly looks interesting but it is hard to make out the detail. looks good all in all.

WookieOnRitalin

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

93JC

The crease down the side looks bizarre, and there are too many details. It's tough to tell what's going on with the grille because of the lighting effects, but my gut feeling is that in normal everyday lighting and angles it won't be pretty.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Vinsanity

I think it looks cool, but I hope the design ages better than the early-2000's model

Northlands

Any bets on whether or not Hyundai decides to make a Sonata version of the Crosstour?  :heated:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

ifcar

Quote from: Northlands on September 02, 2009, 11:12:09 AM
Any bets on whether or not Hyundai decides to make a Sonata version of the Crosstour?  :heated:

They probably would if it were a success for Honda. Why not?

Pommes-T

I wonder if the Koreans will ever have an evolutionary design language.
'00 BMW 523i

Payman

Holy shit. I'll reserve judgement until I see better pics.

MX793

Looks like a previous generation Camry.  Not good (unless you like ill proportioned, bloated styling).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

That said, I like the profile and rear, and I really like the sketches.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CALL_911

Looks like a mix between a Sebring and a Passat CC.

Actually, I don't mind it so much.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

I kind of like it

Of course it would look better lowered and with bigger wheels, but it's a start.

LOLOLOLOL @ Korean design evolution. Cmon now be serious.

Submariner

Pre launch orders?

Are they under the impression this is the new 458?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

ifcar

Quote from: Submariner on September 03, 2009, 09:10:36 AM
Pre launch orders?

Are they under the impression this is the new 458?

The Korean market is almost entirely Korean-made cars, so one of three midsize sedans coming out redesigned soon is a huge deal there.

Onslaught

Holly shit that body line will be a bitch to fix. I work on a ton of Sonata's these days.

thewizard16

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 02, 2009, 02:57:08 AM

The sketch looked interesting but the spy shot of the front looks like it's trying to eat something. Not particularly attractive, in my opinion.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

omicron

What on earth?

And whilst I'm airing my dislike, headlights and taillights are not supposed to meet in the middle of the car.

ifcar

Quote from: omicron on September 04, 2009, 09:19:02 AM

And whilst I'm airing my dislike, headlights and taillights are not supposed to meet in the middle of the car.

omicron

Raza

What, did they run out of metal?  Why does the front look so much smaller than the back?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cozmik

I kind of like it honestly. The grille is a bit large, but overall, it looks decent. And it's actually got some visual interest as well, unlike the current Sonata.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Here's a question, why draw ridiculously stylized concepts only to water them down later till they look awkard and tacky.

Honestly I think that's the primary reason why 75% of the cars on the market look like shit.  They let some artsy design student with no concept of realistic automoblie production draw up some fancy rakish vehicle that everyone knows cannot be produced.  Then the bean counters and the engineers try to make that concept realistic, and thus create a ridiculous mess of it all.  It's like writing accordion music with a full orchestra and a composer, it's just not going to translate well.  You are better off just designing a realistic car from the beginning, making sure everything works in realistic proportions, without rubber band tires, huge wheels, no ride height, no consideration for interior room, etc etc.

SVT666

Quote from: 565 on September 04, 2009, 10:49:20 PM
Here's a question, why draw ridiculously stylized concepts only to water them down later till they look awkard and tacky.

Honestly I think that's the primary reason why 75% of the cars on the market look like shit.  They let some artsy design student with no concept of realistic automoblie production draw up some fancy rakish vehicle that everyone knows cannot be produced.  Then the bean counters and the engineers try to make that concept realistic, and thus create a ridiculous mess of it all.  It's like writing accordion music with a full orchestra and a composer, it's just not going to translate well.  You are better off just designing a realistic car from the beginning, making sure everything works in realistic proportions, without rubber band tires, huge wheels, no ride height, no consideration for interior room, etc etc.
I don't know.  I think it looks pretty faithful to the sketches.