SUV

Started by SVT666, September 07, 2009, 08:51:50 PM

CJ

That Montero.... :wub:  I love them.

SVT666

Quote from: Psilos on September 08, 2009, 06:13:01 PM
That generation Explorer has IRS, which is no good off road (might as well buy a Subaru). The Trailblazer is a piece off road, too, especially the LWB versions. They have waaaay too little clearance for their wheelbase.
I'm not doing hardcore offroading, so the IRS in the Explorer is probably just fine.  The Trailblazer is out anyway becasue my parents own one and my sister owns an Envoy and I don't feel like making it a trio.

omicron

Egads! All these Multivan/Caravelle variants are astonishingly marvellous. I've only ever experienced them at motor shows, and there really is an incredible amount of room inside.

S204STi

Quote from: Psilos on September 08, 2009, 06:07:11 PM
No low range.

Damn, you're right.

Quote from: Psilos on September 08, 2009, 06:13:01 PM
That generation Explorer has IRS, which is no good off road (might as well buy a Subaru). The Trailblazer is a piece off road, too, especially the LWB versions. They have waaaay too little clearance for their wheelbase.

IRS is no good off-road eh?  Don't tell the Hummer H1.

I agree with the Trailblazer being worthless as an off-road vehicle though. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Galaxy on September 08, 2009, 05:18:23 PM
Yes it is large but it is also space efficient. For example they also offer a compact offroad RV version of the Panamericana called Cape2Cape. Basically a fusion of the Panamericana and the California. The amount of features they can stuff in that thing is amazing.

When we were van-shopping the wife saw one (REGULAR non-tricked-out version,) and wanted to test drive it because the middle captain's chairs face backwards.  
-it was over-priced, kinda beat up, and LARGE. If we needed Uber-Space I would have considered it, it was pretty cool.
(They're overpriced here because they're pretty rare.)
Will

Submariner

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 08, 2009, 10:42:59 AM
I really like the look of the Commander.  My wife is kinda "ho-hum" about it, and she likes the look of the Explorer better.  I'm trying to talk her into the Commander.

I think you should use a Compass.

Problem:  Wife doesn't like the best car for your money.

Solution:  Buy it.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: R-inge on September 09, 2009, 09:33:32 AM
Damn, you're right.

IRS is no good off-road eh?  Don't tell the Hummer H1.

I would venture to say that the H1 is the exception to that rule...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

S204STi

Quote from: Submariner on September 09, 2009, 12:40:45 PM
I would venture to say that the H1 is the exception to that rule...

To be fair, it has like geared hubs and a ton of wheel travel and ground clearance...

I don't know enough about why one would be better than the other... maybe some experienced offroaders can clue me in.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: R-inge on September 09, 2009, 02:08:52 PM
To be fair, it has like geared hubs and a ton of wheel travel and ground clearance...

I don't know enough about why one would be better than the other... maybe some experienced offroaders can clue me in.
I think solid axle is better because you get a lot more articulation with it since if one wheel goes up the other wheel is pushed down and both wheels will be on the ground so you get more traction.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: thecarnut on September 09, 2009, 02:16:22 PM
I think solid axle is better because you get a lot more articulation with it since if one wheel goes up the other wheel is pushed down and both wheels will be on the ground so you get more traction.

wat
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

I would think that IRS would be better able to keep the tires planted over uneven terrain.

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 08, 2009, 05:56:10 PM
Yeah, it was never sold in Canada so importing it might be difficult.  Even if importing it can be done, getting parts and finding a shop that knows how to work on it might be difficult.

Didn't realize that.

I love the quirkiness, but I probably would never buy one for the same reasons you listed, even though they were sold here in the first place. Plus they aren't nearly as cheap as you would think.

TBR

Solid axles are generally more reliable, that's one of the advantages for sure.

SVT666

Solid axles have far less moving parts...therefore less parts to break.  They are typically stronger and allow more articulation.  For soft-roading though, IRS has no disadvangages.  If anything it's better due to the higher ground clearance provided by not having the pumpkin hanging down well below the wheel hubs.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

The Pirate

R-inge is correct that independent suspension does a better job of keeping the tires planted on uneven terrain.  You're correct with regards to articulation.  Lots of stock vehicles have sway bars, which are great on road, but hurt performance off road (it's pretty easy for a stock vehicle to have a wheel suspended in the air on really uneven terrain.

Where live axles excel is not 'lowering' the car onto an obstacle when the suspension is working.  It's tough to explain, but with the wheels working independently, one side will compress and the wheel tucks up in.  With a live axle, the wheel does tuck, but it doesn't bring the vehicle closer to the obstacle.  Picture an independent suspension vehicle parked with the two passenger side wheels on the curb.  Picture the same thing, with a vehicle with live axles.  That's the easiest demonstration.

But, as Hemi said, for soft-roading, independent suspension is not going to be any worse (indeed, it's going to be superior on logging roads, etc.).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 08, 2009, 10:42:59 AM
I really like the look of the Commander.  My wife is kinda "ho-hum" about it, and she likes the look of the Explorer better.  I'm trying to talk her into the Commander.

I think you should use a Compass.

The Compass is the really hideous one, right?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 09, 2009, 09:07:34 AM
I'm not doing hardcore offroading, so the IRS in the Explorer is probably just fine.  The Trailblazer is out anyway becasue my parents own one and my sister owns an Envoy and I don't feel like making it a trio.

Seems to me that the 'Sploder doesn't have much clearance, either, but it's probably enough...  :ohyeah:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on September 09, 2009, 09:33:32 AM
Damn, you're right.

IRS is no good off-road eh?  Don't tell the Hummer H1.

The Hummer H1 isn't any good off road, either. :lol: At least not in real-world situations with narrow roads and trails. It is actually pretty good in wide-open situations, but, at least where I live and drive (which is the entire west, practically), that doesn't happen very often. The reason it's good is that is has a ton of travel, which the vast majority of IRS vehicles lack. A great way to see the advantages of a solid axle vs IRS is to watch some rock crawling videos on YouTube, and then some Subaru vids.

Of course, on all the forest roads of varying conditions I drive, even for work, a solid axle is useful only about 10% of the time, or less, and I drive the worst roads.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Eye of the Tiger

Rodeo doesn't have super ground clearance, but the axles were never the problem - it's the shit in between them.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on September 09, 2009, 09:07:37 PM
Rodeo doesn't have super ground clearance, but the axles were never the problem - it's the shit in between them.

I hate that. 1st gen Durangos have a lot of crap hanging down right in the middle. Not as silly as some 'Yotas, though, which have great clearance, but for the transmission mount that hangs down 3-4 inches right in the middle. I suppose that just looks like it'd be a problem, but isn't. They've still got a ton of clearance.

Some of the GM trucks are pretty bad, too, now that I think about it. They often have low-slung frame rails, so the thing looks high, until you look under the body. The Blazer and 2500HD at work have both got that problem. :huh:

SVT666

Quote from: Psilos on September 09, 2009, 09:00:04 PM
Seems to me that the 'Sploder doesn't have much clearance, either, but it's probably enough...  :ohyeah:
The Exploder of your vintage has 6.5" of ground clearance, but I think that's taken directly underneath the rear pumpkin.  We used to smack rocks quite a bit when we had ours, though it was the longer wheelbase 4 door. 

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19848.msg1156300#msg1156300 date=1252546503

The Compass is the really hideous one, right?
Yeah, it's a POS.

Rupert

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 09, 2009, 11:37:00 PM
The Exploder of your vintage has 6.5" of ground clearance, but I think that's taken directly underneath the rear pumpkin.  We used to smack rocks quite a bit when we had ours, though it was the longer wheelbase 4 door. 

Yeah, that's the lowest point. I haven't measured in the middle, but it's a good deal more. Probably 8-10 inches. It's enough for most things, at any rate. Mine is a four door, too.

S204STi

Quote from: Psilos on September 09, 2009, 09:03:47 PM
The Hummer H1 isn't any good off road, either. :lol: At least not in real-world situations with narrow roads and trails. It is actually pretty good in wide-open situations, but, at least where I live and drive (which is the entire west, practically), that doesn't happen very often. The reason it's good is that is has a ton of travel, which the vast majority of IRS vehicles lack. A great way to see the advantages of a solid axle vs IRS is to watch some rock crawling videos on YouTube, and then some Subaru vids.

Of course, on all the forest roads of varying conditions I drive, even for work, a solid axle is useful only about 10% of the time, or less, and I drive the worst roads.

See, I disagree with your view of the H1.  Maybe I'm biased since my family owned and operated one off-road for, oh, 8 years.

But I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing match.  I see the advantages and disadvantages of each.  I realize there is a reason serious off-roaders like a solid axle Jeep Wrangler over just about anything else.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on September 10, 2009, 07:42:22 AM
See, I disagree with your view of the H1.  Maybe I'm biased since my family owned and operated one off-road for, oh, 8 years.

But I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing match.  I see the advantages and disadvantages of each.  I realize there is a reason serious off-roaders like a solid axle Jeep Wrangler over just about anything else.
The Hummer sucks in the places I grew up going.  They are too wide and just plain too big.  There is no denying their offroad prowess (I would love to have an H1), but for most of the trails I used to go on, the Ranger we had was about the perfect size, and anything bigger had trouble.

SVT666

Quote from: Psilos on September 10, 2009, 01:50:05 AM
Yeah, that's the lowest point. I haven't measured in the middle, but it's a good deal more. Probably 8-10 inches. It's enough for most things, at any rate. Mine is a four door, too.
Yeah the rear axle got in the way a bunch.  We scraped the bottom a few times that I remember, but for most things, the ground clearance was adequate (if you carefully avoided things).

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 10, 2009, 07:59:07 AM
The Hummer sucks in the places I grew up going.  They are too wide and just plain too big.  There is no denying their offroad prowess (I would love to have an H1), but for most of the trails I used to go on, the Ranger we had was about the perfect size, and anything bigger had trouble.

I'd love to get a jeep and just explore some other areas of the continent off-road.  My experience is limited to SW Colorado.

omicron

Quote from: Submariner on September 09, 2009, 12:35:10 PM
Problem:  Wife doesn't like the best car for your money.

Solution:  Buy it.

Amen.

Raza

The H1 sucks where I grew up too. 

Nothing but paved roads.  :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.