Mercedes R-Class AMG Set for Frankfurt Debut

Started by Fire It Up, August 17, 2005, 08:49:05 AM

giant_mtb

Fire It Up

Wasnt there a Brabus Sprinter some time back? :lol:

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

"A second AMG version with even more horses under the hood could follow, using a 600-hp, 6.3-liter V8 under development for the new S-Class luxury sedan. This would be badged AMG R63."

That's just dumb.  600 HP in that thing?  Bet you just about any money they won't do anything else to it. (like...HANDLING for once)

TBR

We've been through this before, AMG cars have great handling for the purpose they are designed for.

giant_mtb

Still.  A big heavy four door van-type vehicle with 600 HP with no modifications to its handling...is that even safe?  

TBR

It is perfectly safe, much safer than a little car with 600hp and no other mods would be. Do you think adding hp is going to automatically make a car fly off the road if its suspension isn't modified?

Raghavan

giant_mtb

QuoteIt is perfectly safe, much safer than a little car with 600hp and no other mods would be. Do you think adding hp is going to automatically make a car fly off the road if its suspension isn't modified?
No.  But with the speeds that thing would be capable of, it isn't safe.

Fire It Up

QuoteIt is perfectly safe, much safer than a little car with 600hp and no other mods would be. Do you think adding hp is going to automatically make a car fly off the road if its suspension isn't modified?
That depends on the driver, now doesnt it?

giant_mtb

I can just picture some old dude giving it a punch of the gas, spinning the tires out of control, and driving off a bridge.

TBR

Rag, the R-class is less of a minivan than your Dad's MDX is.

TBR

Yes, it is. It wouldn't be unreasonable to say that the R-class is likely the safest car in regular production or very  close to it. If you drive stupid you will put yourself at risk, no matter the car.  

TBR

I can just picture some old dude giving it a punch of the gas, spinning the tires out of control, and driving off a bridge.
And you could do the same thing in any other high power car.

Raghavan

QuoteRag, the R-class is less of a minivan than your Dad's MDX is.
true. :(  

giant_mtb

Yeah, but most cars that have 600 HP usually have upgraded suspensions and brakes.

TBR

Yeah, but most cars that have 600 HP usually have upgraded suspensions and brakes.
How is that going to prevent you from going into a power slide if you slam the throttle in a 600 hp car?  :rolleyes:  If you drive stupid the R65 will be more dangerous than the regular R500 or R350, but the same can be said about the 5-series and M5 as well as the A4 and S4.

giant_mtb

Look at it from the point of view of someone who will drive it hard...

"I've got this car, it has 600 HP, but handles the same - if not worse - than the base model...what's up with that?"

TBR

No one is going to take a R65 to the twistys specifically to drive, it is just a fast car, not a sports car, it is no more dangerous than a regular R-class as long as you don't drive like an idiot.

giant_mtb

I'm just gonna stop.  I'm a terrible arguer.  I don't like Benz.

TBR

I like Benz, a lot. But, I agree that a R63 is pointless and I would never buy one over a R500, but to say that the R63 is dangerous is ludicrous.  

Raghavan

QuoteI like Benz, a lot. But, I agree that a R63 is pointless and I would never buy one over a R500, but to say that the R63 is dangerous is ludicrous.
bragging rights.

Fire It Up

QuoteI like Benz, a lot. But, I agree that a R63 is pointless and I would never buy one over a R500, but to say that the R63 is dangerous is ludicrous.
bragging rights.
Soccer mom racing?

"My minivan  can get to the grocery store faster than your minivan can"

giant_mtb

bragging rights.
Soccer mom racing?

Mine goes through the twisties better.  <_<  :praise:  

Fire It Up

bragging rights.
Soccer mom racing?

Oooh, soccer mom downhill drifting.  

giant_mtb

bragging rights.
Soccer mom racing?

Yeah with your huge ass engine in the front you'll have incredibly copious amounts of understeer, and I shall take the lead in my van.

Fire It Up

bragging rights.
Soccer mom racing?

Yeah with your huge ass engine in the front you'll have incredibly copious amounts of understeer, and I shall take the lead in my van.
Not if I kick the foot operated handbrake!

TBR

Too bad the R63 isn't a minivan and if it was it would have class leading weight distrubution ;)

giant_mtb

bragging rights.
Soccer mom racing?

Not if I kick the foot operated handbrake!
Yeah then when you realize once you push it in it's stuck there until you push the pedal again, I'll be 3 corners ahead of you.