12 cylinders on a reasonable budget

Started by sportyaccordy, September 11, 2009, 06:20:38 AM

ChrisV

Quote from: omicron on September 15, 2009, 07:59:17 AM
On a more interesting topic, are there noticeable performance and flexibility gains to be had in a standard E38 with the 5.4 V12 over the 4.4 V8?

on a more serious note, the V8s actually had a bit more power than their rated power, especially from '99-01, after they got VANOS. The actual output was a bit over 300 hp, not the 282 rated hp, so their performance is pretty damn close to the V12 cars. And the V8 short wheelbase Sports also got a shorter final drive, so they were even quicker. So performance wise, on paper there isn't much of a reason to go with the V12. But the way the V12 delivers it's power is noticeably differnt, smoother, and more linear. And the huge number of things avaialble standard that are hard to find on a V8 car, or simply unavailable on one, makes starting with the V12 car often a better choice. Of course, real worrld fuel consumption is higher on the V12 cars. Best I've seen was a 24 mpg hwy average on a long trip with one, while the V8 cars regularly knock back 26-30 hwy mpg.

It is easier and cheaper to add things like the 6 speed manual and a supercharger to the V8 cars, however, and right now, the fastest E38 is a V8 car with a supercharger, 6 speed manual, and over 600 rwhp.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

giant_mtb

ChrisV

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 15, 2009, 10:50:08 AM
I would never buy a car from a person who is so terrible at English.

I've got good deals from people who couldn't type. I've also worked with outstanding mechanics who couldn't type, spell, or use proper grammer when writing. I only go by condition of the car. And for the money, that looks like a good project.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ChrisV on September 15, 2009, 07:39:36 AM

Oh, I've done a brake job on a 150k mile '99 Accord. Requires disassembling a lot of the front suspension and axle due to being FWD. it's time consuming and expensive; I also did a complete brake job on my 740i at about the same mileage. Cheap and fast, even with the Akebono Euro ceramic pads and Brembo OEM replacement rotors and pad sensors.

What did you change on the Accord? I can't see why you would need to take the axle or much of the front suspension off unless they mucked it up from my year (which is impossible as I know they did away with the hub over rotor design on mine). To do my pads I just remove the caliper, slide the piston back, grease shit up, throw the pads on and put the caliper back.

(off topic I guess).

The E38 looks really nice... I love a Sporty shorty

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.