12 cylinders on a reasonable budget

Started by sportyaccordy, September 11, 2009, 06:20:38 AM

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on September 11, 2009, 09:30:56 PM

I don't think so.

Not a Seven. Maybe an S class, or an XJ, but definitely not a Seven.

Are we talking about that W220 S600? Because it's the Accord that will be seeing its taillights.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Tave

I was specifically thinking about the Jag and perhaps an older S-Class.

I absolutely love 2o6's response:

"I think it would beat some of those cars."

"No it wouldn't. It would only beat some of them."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 11, 2009, 09:34:32 PM
Are we talking about that W220 S600? Because it's the Accord that will be seeing its taillights.

Even the 5.8L 370 hp?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Rupert

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 11, 2009, 09:24:12 PM
I'm an engineer too bro

I do think people are being needlessly harsh. I'm sure Cougs gets buns and lives a decent life, and in any case that's all ad hominem

But I do agree that the completely objective analysis of the ownership of said cars is ridiculous. Obviously an 04 Accord V6 w/no options will make for a much more practical and probably objectively higher performing ownership experience (doubtful it will be better in anything but straight line performance though). But that the idea of vehicle dynamics and the driving experience are totally lost on dude are def reflective of someone who doesn't "get it". I would never choose any of these cars as daily drivers or anything I'd have to depend on... but I would def love to have them just cause. Life is too short to resign one's self to automatic V6 black boxes

I know; I'm just making fun of engineers. It's a fun past time. You can make fun of science people all you want. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

2o6

Quote from: Tave on September 11, 2009, 09:36:06 PM
I was specifically talking about the Jag and perhaps an older S-Class.

I absolutely love 2o6's response:

"I think it would beat some of those cars."

"No it wouldn't. It would only beat some of them."

You were not.

Tave

My mistake, I meant "thinking about." Already edited my post.

GoCougs

Holy good hairy gods you guys, relax, especially you ChrisV.

Don't cry for me - I get more than my fix of cool hands-on techno experience from my 9-to-5. Further, this jihad against the Accord is supremely ironic as when we all step back and take a breath we all full know that relative to what people actually own here on the 'Spin own, it's at least in the top 25% in terms of performance, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the top 10%.

As to engineers and enthusiasm; obviously I've known a LOT of (mostly mechanical) engineers and the vast majority are NOT car enthusiasts. Some will own moderate performance cars like a WRX, Mustang GT or 5 series, but they just drive 'em. Engineers tend to be more into techie active hobbies; flying, sailing, biking, skiing, etc.

Submariner

Quote from: 2o6 on September 11, 2009, 09:30:56 PM

I don't think so.

Not a Seven. Maybe an S class, or an XJ, but definitely not a Seven.

The E38's were competent vehicles, I'd imagine the Accord having a tough time.

The W220 V12 S-class' were always good handling vehicles, (if a bit numb) and if they are the bi-turbo V12 models, well, an Accord simply doesn't have a shot.

The XJ was relatively decent in the cornering department from what I remember, but the current XJ took it a notch up, and I believe is the best handling car in it's class, and better than a few in a class size below it, too. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: GoCougs on September 11, 2009, 08:13:32 PM
No, the point being that college, career, girl friend(s), other hobbies, etc., make owning those types of vehicles a real chore. Though the Demon and Camaro were fairly quick (I estimate low 14 sec 1/4 mile) they were absolutely atrocious in braking, handling, reliability, safety, MPG, etc. They were fun, but it is highly unlikely I'll ever own one again, as I've alluded to previously, an Accord V6 Coupe is a vastly superior vehicle in all objective regards, even if it doesn't have a V8 rumble or legendary nameplate.

To carry the tit-for-tat analogy to the thread, the quasi ego boost of driving a has-been luxury sedan means a lot to some. I don't discount that; my point is that I call it out for what it is - swapping that ego boost for a lesser performing and all-around inferior vehicle. Further, you'll not ever convince me that driving a 15 year old 4,300 lb land yacht such as a 740i or S500 is objectively more pleasurable than driving an '08 Accord V6 sedan. Further, it is easily objectively proven that the 740i/S500 will be the lesser performing vehicle in all regards.

(Wow, guys - this call-out didn't exactly go your way, did it?)

How so?

I can guarantee you; guarantee you, that a used $30,000 S600 would trounce an Accord V6 on a track, and absolutely pillage it in a straight line.  Further more, an S600 is far more luxurious on the inside (extremely high quality leather covering nearly surface in the car, a suede headliner, wood galore, massaging seats, power rear seats, etc) and offers a more supple ride while, mind you, while being able to beat an Accord V6 in any driving comparison one could throw at it.

Mind you, I'm not bashing the accord.  I happen to like the Accord, but it's not the new gold standard...

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

What's with all of this Accord hating?

A $30k Accord will certainly cost a lot less than anything $30k and V12 over the long-run.  That's a fact.

Let him have his cake.

Personally, I'd love to have a W220 S600, but most of the V8 versions are just as good with a lot less headaches down the road.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on September 11, 2009, 11:15:44 PM
What's with all of this Accord hating?

A $30k Accord will certainly cost a lot less than anything $30k and V12 over the long-run.  That's a fact.

Let him have his cake.

Personally, I'd love to have a W220 S600, but most of the V8 versions are just as good with a lot less headaches down the road.

I'm going to sick ChriSV on you, hold on there let em call htim

Eye of the Tiger

Hey ChisV, look at what TheTouton posted that hes an unthusiaist.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on September 11, 2009, 11:17:13 PM
Hey ChisV, look at what TheTouton posted that hes an unthusiaist.

Are you drunk?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

A Phaeton would also be nice, but was the W12 model really any better than the W8?

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on September 11, 2009, 10:01:01 PM

Don't cry for me - I get more than my fix of cool hands-on techno experience from my 9-to-5. Further, this jihad against the Accord is supremely ironic as when we all step back and take a breath we all full know that relative to what people actually own here on the 'Spin own, it's at least in the top 25% in terms of performance, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the top 10%.

[...]

More laughing than crying.

I wonder how many of us would trade in what they drive now for a V6 Accord of similar value. I'd suggest not many, or they would have bought one. ;) You also seem to be missing the point that how fast a car gets to 1/4 mile, or even how fast you can get it around a track, is not always the most important thing in evaluating a car. Otherwise, why would anyone still drive MGs?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

Quote from: Tave on September 11, 2009, 09:38:22 PM
Even the 5.8L 370 hp?

MB's equipped with the 5.8 V12 do 0-60 in around 5.5 - 6.0 seconds real time. Isn't that quicker than any current Accord?

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: the Teuton on September 11, 2009, 11:19:25 PM
A Phaeton would also be nice, but was the W12 model really any better than the W8?

The Phaeton W12 vs Phaeton W8 reminds me of the R129 Mercedes 600SL vs R129 Mercedes 500SL - the V12 version is heavier and handles less well. In the case of the 600SL vs 500SL situation the 500SL is few milliseconds slower to 100 km/h than the 600SL. The 600SL was basically all about prestige and status, more so than the 500SL. That's the impression I get with the Phaeton W12 too.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

There is no Phaeton W8. The Phaeton uses the Audi V8. The W8 had a short lived career in the Passat. My problem with the V8 Phaeton is that it is relatively noisy compared to the W12 and the V6 TDI. It does not fit the character of the car.

nickdrinkwater

If I lived in the US, definitely at your fuel prices.

In the UK, the petrol engined luxury cars depreciate much faster than that diesels.  It would be tempting to buy an 8- or 12-cylinder sedan over a diesel (e.g. 740i vs 730d), especially if you didn't do that many miles.  The downsides are obviously continued depreciation after you've bought the damn thing, and higher maintenance costs.

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on September 11, 2009, 08:32:57 PM
Sorry, cougs, I've driven exotics on the track, I've driven homebuilt race cars on the track, both cheap ass wannabe drag cars like yours and sports cars. Saying "ooh, I built a cheap old Camaro, and now drive an Accord, so I know how a top of the line BMW sport sedan drives" is fucking bullshit of the highest order. You really don't know shit. And I say that in the nicest possible way.

Lesser performing is ONLY in a fucking straight line and even then it's marginal at best. The relentless pull that a V12 car gives under acceleration cannot be matched by some Accord or Camry with a 4 or V6, no matter HOW much hp it makes. And the driving dynamics of a RWD sedan with suspension tuned specifically for handling is WORLDS different than a fucking every-man FWD shitbox.

Fuck off and get the fuck out of these threads until you actually have a goddamn clue.

Aren't you being a bit extreme here.
So it's obvious the guy has limited experience and is talking through his hat.  So what, he is entitled to his opinion .  I doubt that he's ever driven anything more exciting than that duster so he has a limited basis for comparison.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on September 11, 2009, 11:19:25 PM

I don't know, but I met a Phaeton owner who said he also has a 7 series, and prefers the Phaeton because it's better to drive. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on September 12, 2009, 02:56:04 AM
More laughing than crying.

I wonder how many of us would trade in what they drive now for a V6 Accord of similar value. I'd suggest not many, or they would have bought one. ;) You also seem to be missing the point that how fast a car gets to 1/4 mile, or even how fast you can get it around a track, is not always the most important thing in evaluating a car. Otherwise, why would anyone still drive MGs?

The only people who drive MGs and other old cars are ignorant to a fact that an Accord does everything better.  Same thing with MX-5 owners.  Can you imagine the sheepish look on the face of a man who rolls up to a stoplight in:

When he's trounced handily by someone in:

?

Seppuku would be in order. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on September 11, 2009, 10:01:01 PM

As to engineers and enthusiasm; obviously I've known a LOT of (mostly mechanical) engineers and the vast majority are NOT car enthusiasts. Some will own moderate performance cars like a WRX, Mustang GT or 5 series, but they just drive 'em. Engineers tend to be more into techie active hobbies; flying, sailing, biking, skiing, etc.

You still think this is about straightline performance.   :huh:

No wonder you think steering and feel are unimportant.  Apparently your steering wheel is just for show. 

I have to say, Cougs, a lot of this makes me wonder...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

:wtf:

That Ferrari is worth more than my parents' house.

Tell me Raza, why didn't you buy a used S600, 750, or XJ12 instead of your Jetta?

Submariner

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 12, 2009, 04:46:35 AM
MB's equipped with the 5.8 V12 do 0-60 in around 5.5 - 6.0 seconds real time. Isn't that quicker than any current Accord?

Over here, most reviews did it in 5.4 - 5.5 seconds.

Submariner

Quote from: Tave on September 12, 2009, 07:39:00 AM
:wtf:

That Ferrari is worth more than my parents' house.

Tell me Raza, why didn't you buy a used S600, 750, or XJ12 instead of your Jetta?

Because he is a pussy.  Because handling, steering feel, feedback, et all are for fagots, and the only thing that matters is the smooth, relentless power of an Accord V6.  The only thing is, Raza is a pussy, so he got the turbo I-4, and as we all know, anyone who has less than 210 horsepower in their car is a giant pussy.  

Why don't you change your name from Raza to "I'm a huge pussy" and save us the trouble of calling you one every time you talk about your gay car.

GoCougs

This thread does indeed keep getting better - hard to imagine we have only profoundly poor reading comprehension to thank for it.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide