After 3 blue Expeditions and 10 yrs, there's a Suburban in my driveway

Started by saxonyron, September 12, 2009, 09:33:07 PM

saxonyron

The Expedition was rolling at 95,000 miles.  It was giving us just enough warnings to know it was time to move on before the 100k mile warranty ran out.  We also needed a little more room, since the Expedition with the 3rd row seat up had about 10" of luggage space in back. An Expedition EL was not on the list since I don't think the rear end is very good looking, plus my wife was frustrated by Ford's inability to fix a torque converter shudder after 4 trips to the dealer.  (They never admitted a problem and instead replaced 2 coil packs which did nothing to help.  They would test drive it, say "yup - we notice a shudder.  But there's no transmission code tripped, so there must be no problem with that.  :huh:  But it did trip a coil pack code, so here are a couple new coil packs.  :lockedup: )

It feels weird having a Chevy in the family again, but it feels good.  We scored this from a dealer. 29,000 miles, 2 yr lease return, 2007, LT with a long list of options.  There's stuff in there that I wouldn't have ordered, but the deal was so good, it would have been nutty to pass on it.  Sticker was $50,000, KBB was $42,000.  Edmunds "True Market Value" was $33,850.  We got it for $33,900, plus a $1,700 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.  They gave us $14,000 for a trade-in on the Expediter, which was a grand more than I was hoping.  :ohyeah:

Well, here she is...

Dashboard is damned nice.  GM is turning out a good product overall - fit and finish is impressive, materials feel good.  Even the light switches and 4WD selector switch are solid and well-damped.  Ford could use a few pointers here. :devil:  The touch screen with Bose radio, navigation and backup camera is real slick, and it sounds almost as good as the A6's Bose system. 

The DVD system is nice - infrared headphones, and if you're parked, you can watch the movie on both screens.

Dirty as hell after driving on country roads for one rainy day.  I love the black color, but I hate it too.  Living on a dirt road, it'll be a PITA to keep it looking good. But the black looks so nice, it'll make up for it.

It drives about like the Expedition.  It's a bus, no matter how you slice it.  5.3 L 310HP gives it a nice off the line acceleration.  At speed, it's squishy and speeds up like a locomotive.  No neck snapping here.   :mask: But it's smooth and handles decently. It's 16" longer than the Expedition, but only weighs 140 pounds more (5,740 lbs).  Gas mileage should be about the same - 14 - 16mpg on average, so all the extra room is almost free. :cheers:

So life with General Motors has begun. I hope this new ride works out as well as the last 3 Fords. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

Isn't time to get rid of the kids and get something a bit more sleek?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

saxonyron

Quote from: Raza  on September 12, 2009, 09:38:58 PM
Isn't time to get rid of the kids and get something a bit more sleek?
:lol:  I keep trying, but they keep coming back.  :huh:  At least I'm not the one driving this beauty every day.  I'm a weekend warrior only.  The rest of the time I'm enjoying my automatic transmission on the sleek A6.  :devil:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: NACar on September 12, 2009, 09:39:50 PM
I'm pretty sure they make a supercharger kit for that.

That sounds tempting...  Another what, 30 or 40 horses?  Good thing my wife is happy with it the way it is.  She's a cheap date. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: saxonyron on September 12, 2009, 09:44:29 PM
That sounds tempting...  Another what, 30 or 40 horses?  Good thing my wife is happy with it the way it is.  She's a cheap date. 

More like another 130 HP

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=154

saxonyron

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: saxonyron on September 12, 2009, 09:55:13 PM
Shiiiiiiit!  442HP ought to give it a little more giddyup! 

It is very important for the safety of the children!

Raza

Quote from: saxonyron on September 12, 2009, 09:55:13 PM
Shiiiiiiit!  442HP ought to give it a little more giddyup! 

What you need is a bag, some rocks, and some rope.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

saxonyron

Quote from: NACar on September 12, 2009, 10:23:29 PM
What happens then?

Raza seems to think my kids are kittens. :devil:  Sorry Raza - that method only works for cats. Besides, I know you'll be shocked to hear this, but I actually really enjoy the little buggers. You'll find this out for yourself when someday you'll get married, settle down and become an enthusiastic dad.  :huh:

(Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ! I kill me.  I'm so funny. :evildude: )

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

saxonyron

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 12, 2009, 10:52:13 PM
Should've gotten a Q7. :lol:

I was close to it, but towing capacity did that idea in.  That, and the Suburban is about 20 feet longer.  Actually, the Q7 is only 4" shorter than the Expedition, IIRC. But that's a stultifying 20 inches less compared to the Chevy.  Plus the boxy truck body gives you a lot more volume.  But the Q7 is soooooo sweet.  Take away the heavy trailer load, and we would have squeezed into the Q7.  Stickers were very close for the same year and mileage.  A few grand more for the Audi, but worth it. :cry:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

the Teuton

The Sub is like the Tahoe, but with a real back seat.  Also, I think the longer wheelbase makes the ride nicer.

Definitely a nice ride.  You're still going to need a trailer to haul all of the munchkins at the same time.  I would have gotten an Econoline transit bus if I were you.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

AutobahnSHO

congrats- one of the original SUVs.
(Anything that's not a Jeep, Exploder, Range Rover, 4Runner, or 'Burban is just a pretender.)

BTW for $35large we bought 70ft with a kitchen, 3 bedrooms, builtin microwave, 2 bathrooms- one had a garden tub, and lots of windows. But the wheels were off, it was in a trailer park, and it was 1999.... :lol:
Will

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SVT666

J86

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 13, 2009, 05:53:26 AM
congrats- one of the original SUVs.
(Anything that's not a Jeep, Exploder, Range Rover, 4Runner, or 'Burban is just a pretender.)

BTW for $35large we bought 70ft with a kitchen, 3 bedrooms, builtin microwave, 2 bathrooms- one had a garden tub, and lots of windows. But the wheels were off, it was in a trailer park, and it was 1999.... :lol:

Land Cruiser, S10 and K5 Blazer, Trooper, Carry All ( :lol: )...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Catman

:rockon:

I'll never own a black vehicle again though.  Unless it's a 3rd car that's garaged all the time.

The Pirate

Quote from: Catman on September 13, 2009, 03:22:41 PM
:rockon:

I'll never own a black vehicle again though.  Unless it's a 3rd car that's garaged all the time.

Yeah, black vehicle and a dirt road is just a bad, bad combination.  But black cars look fantastic when they are clean.

Congrats on the truck, Ron.  I really like Suburbans a lot. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

saxonyron

Quote from: the Teuton on September 13, 2009, 12:56:46 AM
The Sub is like the Tahoe, but with a real back seat.  Also, I think the longer wheelbase makes the ride nicer.

Definitely a nice ride.  You're still going to need a trailer to haul all of the munchkins at the same time.  I would have gotten an Econoline transit bus if I were you.

It rides amazingly well, but doesn't handle with much agility.  The Ford with the independent rear suspension action handled the curves better.  As for the Econoline bus, I've threatened my kids that if they didn't keep the new ride looking new, I was going to trade it in for a lime green E-250 extended crew van.  :devil:  I've noticed that they've been picking up their crap a little better than before.  When the honeymoon wears out in a few months, I'll see how they're doing. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Rupert

the Teuton

Quote from: Psilos on September 13, 2009, 03:57:25 PM
I... didn't deny?

But the difference is remarkable.  Really.  The Suburban is worth the money over the Tahoe.

Gotta-Qik-C7

NIce pick! I just rented on last month for our adut weekend at my cabin. I really enjoyed that yacht!  :cheers:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on September 13, 2009, 04:00:34 PM
But the difference is remarkable.  Really.  The Suburban is worth the money over the Tahoe.

Well, it's bigger, obviously. Bigger is bad, unless you can use the size.

But I was just pointing out that it's pretty obvious that the 'Burban is a long version of the 'Hoe. ;)

TBR

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on September 13, 2009, 04:28:16 PM
NIce pick! I just rented on last month for our adut weekend at my cabin. I really enjoyed that yacht!  :cheers:

:winkguy:

saxonyron

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 13, 2009, 06:16:34 AM
Ah, you'll be spending more time at gas stations.  :thumbsup:

:lol:  No matter how you slice it, these things eat gas, but it's still better than driving 2 cars everywhere! The gas mileage so far is very close to the Expedition. Only 150 pounds more, plus basically the same engine.  I figure we'll average 14 - 15 mpg on this one too.  Besides, the gas tank is around 30 gallons - absolutely huge!  The Expedition was only 23 or so.  So I guess we'll be spending less time at the gas stations!  :rockon:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan