My review: 2010 Taurus SHO

Started by ifcar, September 13, 2009, 10:33:07 PM

omicron

Quote from: TBR on September 14, 2009, 12:46:47 PM
Wish they had saved the SHO brand for something more appropriately sized, but the Taurus with the TT 3.5l seems like a fine car. To give an idea of the size:

And the Taurus has never been a small car.

Good god - what on earth is that rear end doing all the way up there? The front 3/4 view is fantastic, but it all seems to fall apart the further back we go. Covering the rear half of that new-fangled whatsit with my hand helps immensely.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 14, 2009, 10:31:15 PM
Every review I've read of the SHO is very positive.  Far more positive then any of the assumptions I read from people who have never driven it.

I've read a number of neutral and down.

ChrisV

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 14, 2009, 09:04:49 PM
The SHO, from what I remember, doesn't even have a different suspension from the base Taurus.

Not only does the standard SHO have a differnt suspension, there's even an optional higher performance suspension available, AS LISTED IN THE ARTICLE I JUST LINKED TO!

Quote from: ifcar on September 14, 2009, 02:34:17 PM
I don't foresee any market at all for this car whatsoever once the handful of SHO enthusiasts have already bought theirs. But I guess we will see.

Again, WTF does it matter if the TOP, limited edition version of a car has a limited market?????? Did it hurt Mustang sales to have an overly expensive, limited edition Shelby version?

Did everyone fall out of the stupid tree this week?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ifcar

Quote from: ChrisV on September 15, 2009, 07:24:26 AM
Not only does the standard SHO have a differnt suspension, there's even an optional higher performance suspension available, AS LISTED IN THE ARTICLE I JUST LINKED TO!

Again, WTF does it matter if the TOP, limited edition version of a car has a limited market?????? Did it hurt Mustang sales to have an overly expensive, limited edition Shelby version?

There's a difference between a limited market and no market. Ford wants to sell 10,000 of these things a year. I don't think that will happen.

ChrisV

Quote from: ifcar on September 15, 2009, 07:33:41 AM
There's a difference between a limited market and no market. Ford wants to sell 10,000 of these things a year. I don't think that will happen.

Stick with Kia Rio's. It's what you're good at.

ifcar

Quote from: ChrisV on September 15, 2009, 07:52:21 AM
Stick with Kia Rio's. It's what you're good at.

Stick with saying that there's no such thing as one car being better than another instead of trying to predict how the market will behave.

GoCougs

Um, knowledge of the Kia Rio is not necessary to acknowledge the simple fact that Ford won't sell anything close to 10,000 SHOs a year...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ChrisV on September 15, 2009, 07:24:26 AM

Weak demand pretty much been the death of any car that has gone out of production

Who would want this over all the awesome CPO cars on the market at the same price

TBR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 15, 2009, 09:56:47 PM
Weak demand pretty much been the death of any car that has gone out of production

Who would want this over all the awesome CPO cars on the market at the same price

Faulty argument, the same could be said of any new car.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 15, 2009, 09:56:47 PM

You could say the same about a lot of cars out there, yet they still sell them.  Why would you buy a Mustang GT when you could get a CPO 335i for the same price?

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 15, 2009, 09:59:37 PM
You could say the same about a lot of cars out there, yet they still sell them.  Why would you buy a Mustang GT when you could get a CPO 335i for the same price?

V8!

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: thecarnut on September 15, 2009, 10:46:52 PM
M3! :devil:
1 M3 = 3 CPO 335is

I just find the car to be a bit silly, like the Mercury Marauder. Time will tell if it will suffer the same fate sales-wise. Ford has a long legacy of strange performance models.

TBR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 16, 2009, 05:00:26 AM
1 M3 = 3 CPO 335is

I just find the car to be a bit silly, like the Mercury Marauder. Time will tell if it will suffer the same fate sales-wise. Ford has a long legacy of strange performance models.

So you came up with one, what's the other? The ovoid SHO perhaps, but it seems to me that their performance models are almost always critically acclaimed.

Submariner

Quote from: omicron on September 15, 2009, 03:33:33 AM
Good god - what on earth is that rear end doing all the way up there? The front 3/4 view is fantastic, but it all seems to fall apart the further back we go. Covering the rear half of that new-fangled whatsit with my hand helps immensely.

The whole of the new SHO appears as if it's under heavy breaking even while motionless.  I cannot possibly imagine how ridiculous it looks when it actually is coming to a sharp halt.  :facepalm:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CJ

I sat in a Taurus Limited at the dealer the other day.  Good lord...that's such a nice interior!  Genesis is better, though.  More room and MUCH less cluttered.  Visibility seems better too.  The Taurus is just TOO big.  The Genesis is big but this thing is GARGANTUAN! 

SVT666

I sat in an SHO today.  Damn is that interior nice.  It's far and away one of the nicest interiors I've ever been in.  The car itself looks great, but god damn...is it big.  I'm not even talking about the length or with.  I'm talking about the height of the hood, roof, and trunk.  The top of the trunk lid sits right below my rib cage.  That's frikkin' high.  I've seen the new Lincoln MKS...or MKZ...or MKT (worse naming scheme ever!)...you know, the one based on the Taurus, on the road a lot lately, and everything is just huge.  Every car is becoming like this lately.  Really high cowls, high trunks, yada yada yada.  They're just getting way too big.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 27, 2009, 12:15:37 AM
I sat in an SHO today.  Damn is that interior nice.  It's far and away one of the nicest interiors I've ever been in.  The car itself looks great, but god damn...is it big.  I'm not even talking about the length or with.  I'm talking about the height of the hood, roof, and trunk.  The top of the trunk lid sits right below my rib cage.  That's frikkin' high.  I've seen the new Lincoln MKS...or MKZ...or MKT (worse naming scheme ever!)...you know, the one based on the Taurus, on the road a lot lately, and everything is just huge.  Every car is becoming like this lately.  Really high cowls, high trunks, yada yada yada.  They're just getting way too big.
It is all justified in people buying them

omicron

I dislike high cowls.

ChrisV

I drove this today:

Taurus SEL. Really good looking car in person. Extensively optioned, with Sync, blind spot warning system, etc. etc. Drove quite nicely, and the interior was gorgeous. Sticker price with dealer crap added on was $30,995. Well priced for a full size sedan.

These are the ones that Ford will sell the most of, so how many SHOs sell is irrelevant.

CALL_911

Quote from: ChrisV on September 28, 2009, 10:32:39 AM
I drove this today:

Taurus SEL. Really good looking car in person. Extensively optioned, with Sync, blind spot warning system, etc. etc. Drove quite nicely, and the interior was gorgeous. Sticker price with dealer crap added on was $30,995. Well priced for a full size sedan.

These are the ones that Ford will sell the most of, so how many SHOs sell is irrelevant.

You just parked the 7 there to remind us that the Taurus still sucks, in comparison. :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on September 28, 2009, 10:32:39 AM
I drove this today:

Did you happen to park your & next to the Taurus?  I would be willing to bet the Taurus' hood  and trunk lines are a good 6"+ higher.

Byteme

I'd guess that's to lessen the transition difference for people coming from an SUV to the Taurus.

ChrisV

Actually it seems it's that way to allow for the "staduim seating" where the rears are decidely higher than the fronts for good legroom and excellent forward visibility from the rear.

Now, the 7 is lowered a few inches, so it's not really a fair comparison, but the Taurus wasn't that much taller. Maybe because it was an SEL not an SHO. And I actually pulled in there to check out the Mustangs, as I talked about in the Mustang thread.

Catman

sportyaccordy

Gone are the days where you could cruise with your arm sitting on the window sill.

r0tor

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 28, 2009, 12:32:05 PM
Gone are the days where you could cruise with your arm sitting on the window sill.

my only hope is one day they will make seats restricitve enough to stop people from driving while leaning over their center console trying to look "cool"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Catman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 28, 2009, 12:32:05 PM

Yeah, I do find that very annoying. :lockedup:

Raza

Quote from: Catman on September 28, 2009, 03:54:41 PM
Yeah, I do find that very annoying. :lockedup:

I can do that.  Still do, actually, especially on the highway.  I put my elbow up on the sill and steer from the 9 o'clock position (adding my right hand at 3 o'clock when necessary).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19906.msg1169721#msg1169721 date=1254231903
I can do that.  Still do, actually, especially on the highway.  I put my elbow up on the sill and steer from the 9 o'clock position (adding my right hand at 3 o'clock when necessary).

LOL, that's what I do too.  Mines a bit high but not as bad as some cars.