Suggestions for possible new car?

Started by BimmerM3, September 22, 2009, 08:45:26 PM

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

I have searched extensively through that price range

Here are my reccomendations

Audi A4 B5- I have a friend who's had one for about 2 years now, NO MODS, 1.8T 5 spd quattro. No problems yet and he loves the car.
BMW 328i/iS/M3 E36- solid cars. The E46 had some serious subframe problems.
Ford Mustang Cobra 96+- crude but 300HP for 6-7K? Worth looking at.
Honda Prelude (97-01)- solid cars. Peppy with the VTEC motor, although a little smaller than your Accord.
Nissan 240SX- if you can find a stock one.
Nissan Maxima (02-03 6spd)- if you don't mind driving a big sedan, these are mid 14 second cars stock with a lot of luxury for cheap. I see them as a very reliable very poor man's 540i :lol:
Volvo C70- I have heard somewhat decent things about these cars but IDK. I always wanted to check them out.

Good luck man

BimmerM3

Fuck.

Somehow the Accord wasn't totaled.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

How is that possible

I know on older Hondas the ECU is right on the passenger side floor board. At the minimum your ECU and with a good degree of certainty your wiring harness is FUBAR'd

Plus the interior is probably all moldy with a urine like odor

Damn that blows man./

BimmerM3

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 28, 2009, 02:07:25 PM
Does it now have a salvage title?

:huh: I haven't talked to my dad over the details yet.

To be honest, I'm kinda pissed. My dad was so sure that we didn't have comprehensive that when we got the car towed, we had the mechanic go ahead and start cleaning up the car. If he had just double checked the policy, like I had asked him to do multiple times, the car would have stayed wet and the adjuster would have seen it at its worst.

Oh well, at least I'll have a car again.

Fuck, it's been a shitty day.

S204STi

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 28, 2009, 03:08:38 PM
:huh: I haven't talked to my dad over the details yet.

To be honest, I'm kinda pissed. My dad was so sure that we didn't have comprehensive that when we got the car towed, we had the mechanic go ahead and start cleaning up the car. If he had just double checked the policy, like I had asked him to do multiple times, the car would have stayed wet and the adjuster would have seen it at its worst.

Oh well, at least I'll have a car again.

Fuck, it's been a shitty day.

Don't give up.  It's not uncommon for the initial estimate for repair to be woefully under the mark, meaning that as the body shop tacks on more and more crap they just total it.

Onslaught

Quote from: R-inge on September 28, 2009, 05:40:10 PM
Don't give up.  It's not uncommon for the initial estimate for repair to be woefully under the mark, meaning that as the body shop tacks on more and more crap they just total it.
It's ALWAYS woefully under the mark these days. ALWAYS.

Raise a stink about it. Be an ass hole. It's the only language they understand.

giant_mtb

I went to three different places to get estimates when my car got nailed by hail.  The first two said it was a goner, the last one (and the one that my insurance recommended) ended up saying "y'know, this car is in great condition for its age, we'll fix it."

Perhaps the opposite can happen for you! :ohyeah: :lol:

Onslaught

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 28, 2009, 05:53:30 PM
I went to three different places to get estimates when my car got nailed by hail.  The first two said it was a goner, the last one (and the one that my insurance recommended) ended up saying "y'know, this car is in great condition for its age, we'll fix it."

Perhaps the opposite can happen for you! :ohyeah: :lol:
Probably their "Pro Shop" that will do the work for less money for them. God damn insurance mother fuckers.

That said, I've never had a car total from a hail storm.

giant_mtb

Well, it was a situation where insurance companies were bringing in claims agents from all over the place to set up tents to do estimates and evaluations because of the thousands and thousands of cars that got hit.  I needed at least 3 estimates to make a claim or whatever, so yeah.  My uncle's our insurance guy, he treats us well.

Onslaught

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 28, 2009, 05:58:49 PM
Well, it was a situation where insurance companies were bringing in claims agents from all over the place to set up tents to do estimates and evaluations because of the thousands and thousands of cars that got hit.  I needed at least 3 estimates to make a claim or whatever, so yeah.  My uncle's our insurance guy, he treats us well.
I need one like that to come by Charlotte.

BimmerM3

I don't know... if it's actually good to go, it's probably for the best anyway. It'll save me money that I would have spent on the new car. If I start getting weird electrical issues though, I'll certainly be speaking to State Farm.

Besides, we already told the shop to finish up the work. Hopefully I'll get the car back tomorrow. At this point it'll just be nice to have my own damn car again.

GoCougs

I'd really push hard for a total if it were me. It may run/operate fine now, but there are myriad non-waterproof connections in and under the car that are below the water level you mentioned.

As those connections rust and corrode over the next few weeks/months, you could have all sorts of minor issues. The problem I'd see is for how long would the insurance company cover the repairs? After a time, it being a 10 year old car, they can simply deny it and blame age.

BimmerM3

Hmm... well maybe I'll raise the issue with my dad tonight. We'll see what happens.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

BimmerM3

My dad was under the impression that I'm still going to have a clear title on the Accord. I'm going to call our insurance agent sometime this week to double check on that and ask him if they are going to cover any repair costs for flood related issues in the future. If the car still has a clear title and they aren't going to cover future repairs, I'll probably unload the car as quick as I can and get something new before issues arise.

Either way, I'll be giving it a thorough detailing this weekend, in and out. I think I'm going to go all out on this one - wash, clay, wax, if I'm feeling really crazy I'll do two coats of wax. Clean interior out as well as possible, and steam vac the interior as well.

BTW, I did get the car back today. It seems fine so far.

Rupert

In the very least, the value of the car is much less than it was before the flood. I'm very surprised that it wasn't totaled.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TBR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 30, 2009, 12:47:01 AM
My dad was under the impression that I'm still going to have a clear title on the Accord. I'm going to call our insurance agent sometime this week to double check on that and ask him if they are going to cover any repair costs for flood related issues in the future. If the car still has a clear title and they aren't going to cover future repairs, I'll probably unload the car as quick as I can and get something new before issues arise.

Either way, I'll be giving it a thorough detailing this weekend, in and out. I think I'm going to go all out on this one - wash, clay, wax, if I'm feeling really crazy I'll do two coats of wax. Clean interior out as well as possible, and steam vac the interior as well.

BTW, I did get the car back today. It seems fine so far.

It would have a clear title (a car gets a salvage title when it is declared a total loss and then rebuilt), but something might show up on the carfax about the flooding.

Onslaught

Quote from: TBR on September 30, 2009, 09:17:32 AM
It would have a clear title (a car gets a salvage title when it is declared a total loss and then rebuilt), but something might show up on the carfax about the flooding.
Oh it will show up alright. Good luck selling the thing after that.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Onslaught on September 30, 2009, 09:24:27 AM
Oh it will show up alright. Good luck selling the thing after that.

:sigh:

I'm going to have to call State Farm and raise some hell. It'll probably have to wait til Friday though... too much going on today and tomorrow.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

Didn't get a chance to call yesterday, but I have Monday off, so I will talk to them then.

BimmerM3