Suggestions for possible new car?

Started by BimmerM3, September 22, 2009, 08:45:26 PM

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

BimmerM3

You know, that's really not all that bad... :lol:

the Teuton

Tonight, someone asked me if my flip flops were a much more expensive brand than they were. I should have said 'yes.'

Likewise, a bitch will believe you if you tell her that thing is a Porsche until she reads the badge. Get the damn vehicle. Like yesterday.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Minpin

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 22, 2009, 10:48:18 PM

Definitely room for a weekends worth of clothes for two, groceries for a weeks or so....

Don't plan on playing golf unless you want them in the passenger seat though.  :lol:

Minpin

Quote from: the Teuton on September 22, 2009, 10:48:39 PM
Tonight, someone asked me if my flip flops were a much more expensive brand than they were. I should have said 'yes.'

Likewise, a bitch will believe you if you tell her that thing is a Porsche until she reads the badge. Get the damn vehicle. Like yesterday.

I have a phone call to make. Fuck the tC!  :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: Minpin on September 22, 2009, 10:49:18 PM
Definitely room for a weekends worth of clothes for two, groceries for a weeks or so....

Don't plan on playing golf unless you want them in the passenger seat though.  :lol:

One of my dad's golf buddies has a Miata and he just puts his clubs in the passenger seat... :lol:

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MrH

Woah, I had no idea MR-2's came down in price so much...

I say go for it.  I might be joining you in such a purchase soon too. :praise:

I love my Protege5, but you can only have so much fun in a FWD, econohatch.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

SVT Focus, EP3 Civic Si.  These are the two main cars on which I focused during my car search.

I'd stay away from the MkIV GTIs.  They are hit or miss on reliability (poor QC way back when) and much more relaxed and stodgy than the other two.  Better looking, sure, and with a better interior, but the others are likely better to drive. 

I'll keep thinking, though.  Don't listen to 2o6.  Isn't the Vibe just a tall Corolla hatchback?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 22, 2009, 10:48:18 PM

And that's one of the reasons the car failed to make decent sales. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

Well my dad just reported the flood, so I guess we wait to hear back about that. The theft claim must wait because I lost the case number in the flooded house and for some reason the Atlanta PD records office is closed today so I have to call back tomorrow.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20011.msg1165487#msg1165487 date=1253701746
SVT Focus, EP3 Civic Si.  These are the two main cars on which I focused during my car search.

I'd stay away from the MkIV GTIs.  They are hit or miss on reliability (poor QC way back when) and much more relaxed and stodgy than the other two.  Better looking, sure, and with a better interior, but the others are likely better to drive. 

I'll keep thinking, though.  Don't listen to 2o6.  Isn't the Vibe just a tall Corolla hatchback?

Better suspension, and vibe GT's have the 2ZZ from the Celica GT-S. Good for 180HP and a sky-high 9000 rev limit.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on September 23, 2009, 10:39:00 AM

Better suspension, and vibe GT's have the 2ZZ from the Celica GT-S. Good for 180HP and a sky-high 9000 rev limit.

I'm not going to get any of the cars you suggested in your first post. Except maybe a Civic Si, but probably not. No offense.

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 23, 2009, 10:46:58 AM
I'm not going to get any of the cars you suggested in your first post. Except maybe a Civic Si, but probably not. No offense.

Our mindsets are totally different. I understand.

That MR2 looks pretty good.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on September 23, 2009, 10:39:00 AM
The gearing is wrong for the engine. Shifting, even at redline, drops the RPMs down into the low-lift bog.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Out of wishful thinking, tonight I stopped by a local dealership that has an MR-2 Spyder in stock. Damn, that car is tiny. I didn't realize that the black "bag" pictured in the front trunk is actually the spare tire. I wonder how bad it would be to replace the spare with a can of Fix-a-Flat for the extra trunk space. I've had bad luck with tires before, so I wouldn't want to be driving around without some sort of back-up plan. Even fitting my laundry basket in the front seat would be a pretty tight fit with the top up.

As far as people fitting in the car, I didn't see any problems. I've read that because of the MR layout, it actually has more front leg room than a Miata. I didn't actually drive it since I didn't want to get my hopes up, but the shifter did feel great sitting still in the parking lot.

I'll hopefully hear back from the insurance company tomorrow or Friday though.

Raza

Realistically, is the MR-2 even in consideration?  It would be awesome if you can get it, but you can be sensible and still have fun.  Were I in your shoes, I'd get the Civic Si (EP3) or Focus SVT 3 door, leaning towards the Focus since you guys don't have salty roads down there, then save up and buy a sports car after school.  Which is pretty much what I'm doing now. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20011.msg1166115#msg1166115 date=1253800282
Realistically, is the MR-2 even in consideration?  It would be awesome if you can get it, but you can be sensible and still have fun.  Were I in your shoes, I'd get the Civic Si (EP3) or Focus SVT 3 door, leaning towards the Focus since you guys don't have salty roads down there, then save up and buy a sports car after school.  Which is pretty much what I'm doing now. 

There is plenty of cargo room. It's called the passenger seat.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on September 24, 2009, 08:09:32 AM
There is plenty of cargo room. It's called the passenger seat.

Okay, get it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20011.msg1166126#msg1166126 date=1253801514
Okay, get it. 

I'd do an even trade for the Swift, but I don't think they'll go for that.  :huh:

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on September 24, 2009, 07:51:22 AM

It's in consideration, mostly because of awesomeness, though it much more likely that I will end up with a Miata. I really want a convertible and I live really close to my parents who have all sorts of practical cars that I can borrow when I need them (which is not very often, generally).

Raza

The MR2 is worlds better than the MX-5 to drive.  The only real advantages the MX-5 have are practicality and aftermarket. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 24, 2009, 08:49:32 AM
It's in consideration, mostly because of awesomeness, though it much more likely that I will end up with a Miata. I really want a convertible and I live really close to my parents who have all sorts of practical cars that I can borrow when I need them (which is not very often, generally).

MR2

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on September 24, 2009, 08:52:49 AM
The MR2 is worlds better than the MX-5 to drive.  The only real advantages the MX-5 have are practicality and aftermarket. 

And availability, though I found an mr2 in my area for less than 7000

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

BimmerM3

I went out with the goal of test driving cars today. I mostly failed (apparently most car dealerships are closed on Sunday), but I did get one drive in.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=267998346&dealer_id=615454&car_year=2003&rdm=1253680084507&model=CIVIC&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&sownerid=600517&showZipError=y&make=HONDA&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=30068&advanced=y&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=7000&cardist=20&standard=false

I really liked the car. It drove wonderfully. The suspension was really just about perfect. It felt like it was cornering totally flat, but it didn't feel harsh at all when going over bumps or whatever. The engine had plenty of pep (+10 hp, -200lbs and shorter gears vs the Accord) to get me around, and all in all it was just a really fun car.  

Things I didn't like:
-Shifter was only decent and there was way more play in the shifter when in gear that I would have expected.
-Steering was very precise, but it was a little bit too boosted and I would have liked a bit more feedback from the wheels.
-I tend to think people who drive these cars look like tools, but I don't think this would keep me from buying car.
-Not a convertible (well duh).

Issues with this particular car:
-Odometer was replaced at 95,xxx miles. Honda certified the mileage when it was replaced, so I'm not really sure if this is an issue or not. (see pic at bottom) The car does have a clean CarFax though.
-Brake pulsing under hard braking, probably just warped rotors.
-Shift knob was loose, which was annoying. Probably easy to fix though, I just forgot to look at it when I pulled over at the end of the test drive.
-EDIT: Oh yeah, the headlights were kinda foggy to. Again, probably not a huge issue, but I've never had to deal with that before. :huh:

Here's the sticker on the driver's side door sill about the odo replacement.

I went by the dealership that has the 9-5 Aero, but they were closed. I walked around the lot and found the car though, and it looked pretty good. The 9-3 cabrio has apparently been sold. The dealership with the '99 Miata for just under $6000 was closed too.

Tomorrow I'm probably going to go drive the 9-5 and see if I can find some random NB Miata to drive (the specific one I'm interested in is kind of far away). I've driven a couple NBs before, but it's been awhile.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 27, 2009, 05:16:38 PM
So did they total the Accord or not?

Still waiting on the final word, but when my dad talked to the insurance company about the break in and told them how high the water was, they said it'd probably be totaled. Hopefully we'll hear the final word tomorrow, and maybe I'll have some new wheels as early as Tuesday evening.