Edmunds reviews the 2010 4Runner

Started by ifcar, September 24, 2009, 05:07:15 AM

ifcar

Quote from: Catman on September 24, 2009, 05:54:51 PM
Nice.  Autoblog always has good pics.

They're just the manufacturer photos. Autoblog is just especially good about collecting them and posting them in full resolution.

GoCougs

I'm with NACar - gauges are terrible. Other than that, it looks like quite a potent package even though it has been stripped down in the luxury department.

The Pirate

Looks pretty freakin' sweet in Trail trim.  I've always liked the 4Runner a lot (3rd gen is where it's at, though), and I'm glad to see this one stay [relatively] true to it's roots.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

That's disappointing, especially since I believe I've seen V6 4WD manual FJ Cruisers before.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on September 24, 2009, 10:41:23 PM
That's disappointing, especially since I believe I've seen V6 4WD manual FJ Cruisers before.

I don't know if you have seen one, but they do exist.

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on September 24, 2009, 10:51:06 PM
I don't know if you have seen one, but they do exist.

If it hasn't been burned to the ground by some hoodlum yet, there's one right down the street from me.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Submariner

A friend of mine has one.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT666

Rupert

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on September 24, 2009, 10:54:46 AM
Too expensive. Too big and heavy. 5k is a lot of machine and 30k for a 4Runner is going to be a tough sell. The only way you can get it to move around respectably is if you option for the the V6. The 4 cylinder is not a legitimate option (it just makes it look good on paper). It will be insanely slow.

I think the market for this vehicle is slim and I think people actually want to see some downsizing in their 4x4s. In essence, this is what makes the Wrangler king. A small package for more off capability than essentially every vehicle will win almost every time. I do not think people here or around the world are going to be very interested in this vehicle especially when there are cheaper options that provide just as much capability on the trail. I think vehicles like the Grand Vitara and the X-Trail are going to be the future of the segment. Small, powerful, 4x4s that can tow and perform off road. What surprises me is the lack of clean diesels for these types of SUVs. They provide even more torque and increase fuel efficiency by up to 10 mpg.

I'm kind of more interested to see what happens to the Xterra. It's due for a redesign soon. Does Nissan bring over the X-Trail or do they keep plugging away with the Xterra? I do not know. My sister's boyfriend has an Xterra. It's loud, uncomfortable, and the interior quality looks like its straight from Tyco. It does beat the hell out of the trail though. Still, I think the market is screaming for more quality, small capable 4x4s instead of the traditional land tanks.

I will give props to Toyota. 5k lbs and 16/22 4x4 is impressive. Looks like a great machine, but I hate big SUVs.

It's not a big SUV. It's a very reasonable size.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Lebowski

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on September 24, 2009, 11:08:39 AM

Yes and it explains its declining sales. I doubt this new 4Runner is going to boost them significantly.

You're missing the point.  I think Toyota is perfectly aware the 4Runner is more of a niche vehicle that isn't going to drive massive volumes, that's why they have the more mainstream Highlander.  A niche vehicle can still be plenty profitable if Toyota gets the production right (which, given their track record, they probably will).  GM/F/Chrysler have been proving for decades that simply chasing volume does not necessarily lead to profitability.

I'm glad Toyota didn't sell out, and kept it a niche vehicle rather than either killing it off or taking it more mainstream in order to chase volume.

Raza

Really?  Now that is interesting.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20020.msg1167563#msg1167563 date=1253976209

My physics teacher has a manual FJ Cruiser.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on September 26, 2009, 08:43:29 AM

My physics teacher has a Honda Civic. I have a manual FJ Cruiser.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on September 24, 2009, 10:54:46 AM
30k for a 4Runner is going to be a tough sell.

Since when has the 4runner been cheap?

FYI, 4WD V6 models had a base MSRP > $20,000 in 1992.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT32V

I don't get the fanboy love of this thing.

1. below class power
2. considerable heft at 4500 lbs
3. No reported locking front or rear differentials
4. No reported better than avg 4-lo gearing in the transfer case.

Its only improvement is that it has a sway bar that can actively disconnect.

Had this been a new Jeep or any other manufacturer it would have been met with such negativity.

Plus every other manufacturer in the class has a V8.

Seems like they dropped the ball on this one, but if this site is any indication toyota can do no wrong, no wonder the camry/corolla sell so well.

ifcar

Quote from: SVT32V on September 26, 2009, 12:48:46 PM

1. below class power

Had this been a new Jeep or any other manufacturer it would have been met with such negativity.

Seems like they dropped the ball on this one, but if this site is any indication toyota can do no wrong, no wonder the camry/corolla sell so well.

You're saying this on one of the most anti-Toyota boards I've seen that's not specific to a brand.

SVT32V

Quote from: ifcar on September 26, 2009, 12:57:42 PM
You're saying this on one of the most anti-Toyota boards I've seen that's not specific to a brand.

That may be true, however, the 4runner always gets loads of love on this board.

S204STi

1. below class power

1. SUVs aren't always about power,
2. 4500 is heavy, sure, but SUVs aren't always about being fast,
3. If the device on the side of this carrier isn't for a locker I'll be a monkey's uncle:

4. You'll have to explain what better than average is for a t-case since the majority of SUVs don't even have them in the first place.  Having one at all is a good deal in my book.

ifcar

Pricing is in:

SR5 4-cylinder 2WD: $27,500
SR5 V6 2WD: $29,175
Limited V6 2WD: $37,765

SR5 V6 4WD: $30,915
Trail V6 4WD: $35,700
Limited V6 4WD: $39,800

Rupert

Since when did SR5 not mean off road upgrades?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

ifcar

Quote from: Psilos on September 26, 2009, 03:12:45 PM
Since when did SR5 not mean off road upgrades?

SR5 is just "base" on the current 4Runner and Sequoia.

Rupert

I got that. ;)

It used to be the off-road upgraded model. Isn't it still on the Tundra?

ifcar

Quote from: Psilos on September 26, 2009, 03:20:51 PM
I got that. ;)

It used to be the off-road upgraded model. Isn't it still on the Tundra?

Don't think so, or on the Tacoma. I think they use "TRD" for that, like GM's Z71.

S204STi

I've always been confused by Toyota's trim levels.

Rupert

Quote from: ifcar on September 26, 2009, 03:22:17 PM
Don't think so, or on the Tacoma. I think they use "TRD" for that, like GM's Z71.

Well, the TRD was the really off road version. :lol:

I'm confused...

SVT32V

Quote from: R-inge on September 26, 2009, 01:58:18 PM
1. SUVs aren't always about power,
2. 4500 is heavy, sure, but SUVs aren't always about being fast,

Yeah a 4 cyl lugging 4500 lbs is going to perform good off-road when it can barely drag itself up an incline.

Yep, same as the previous generation 4runner a rear locker, how about the front, so basically nothing new again.

4. You'll have to explain what better than average is for a t-case since the majority of SUVs don't even have them in the first place.  Having one at all is a good deal in my book.

Any real SUV with any capability is going to have a low-range leave the Pilot/RAV4 SUVs for a conversation about soft-roaders.

How about a T-case with a 4 to 1 crawl ratio and not the basic 2.7 to 1.

In an all new vehicle with the idea to be more off-road capable as the Highlander fills the soft-roader gap you would like to see some real improvements.  Escpecially since the FJ will be discontinued.

GoCougs

1. below class power

1. True, yet the only competitor that outruns it is the Hemi Gran Cherokee; the others w/V6 or V8 aren't any quicker.
2. By what measure? The Explorer, Grand Cherokee, Pathfinder, and Pilot are all in the 4,500 - 5,000 range.
3. It will/does, as evidenced by the FJ Cruiser.
4. The average 2.5:1 - 3:1 lo is more than enough for any stock rig.