Well, crap, now the red Beetle is down---update: She lives!

Started by JWC, September 24, 2009, 12:07:46 PM

JWC

Tired of the noise from the roofers....roofing, I decided to take the Beetle and run a couple of errands, then go by my old work place and hang out for an hour or so.

I started the Beetle and noticed it had a skip, but figured it was running rough due to it being started for the first time in four days and something might still be wet from yesterday's rain.  When I pulled out of the driveway I could tell something else was wrong....it had no power and the running rough was definitely a dead skip.  Dropped by the ATM and returned to the house, worried I might not make it as the engine was trying hard to stall at idle.

Checked and found #2 not firing.  Pulled the wire, it was good until the retainer clip fell out of it, cheap wires...can't get German anymore.  Found my spare wires and replaced that one, restarted...fingers crossed that maybe, just maybe, it was the wire....but, no.  Pulled the plug and it was fouled.  I got on the phone, called the NAPA store and ordered another set of plugs.  Now, I'm letting it cool down so I can check the compression.  My fear is that it dropped a valve.

In the mean time, I'm going to air up the tires in my vintage Raleigh Roadster and go for a ride.

Ironically, I planned on starting a thread this evening about the Beetle.  The plan for this afternoon was to pulled the carburetor and take it apart for a thorough cleaning.  I was going to take photos as I did so for those "young'uns" who may have never seen the inside of a carb.  I really don't want to pull this motor for head work.  Besides, I really don't have the funds to do so right now.

Oh well.......

Eye of the Tiger

Yesterday, I had a skip in a Thunderturd. Two of the plugs were kinda fouled, the other six were getting there. Eventually found the ECT had a broken wire, which probably made it think it was about -60?F, causing it to dump fuel. Cleaned the plugs, fixed the wire, and let it warm up. It smoothed out, only to start gushing tranny fluid on the exhaust and making lots of smoke.

So, it's probably your ECT sensor.   :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JWC

Quote from: NACar on September 24, 2009, 12:19:47 PM
Yesterday, I had a skip in a Thunderturd. Two of the plugs were kinda fouled, the other six were getting there. Eventually found the ECT had a broken wire, which probably made it think it was about -60?F, causing it to dump fuel. Cleaned the plugs, fixed the wire, and let it warm up. It smoothed out, only to start gushing tranny fluid on the exhaust and making lots of smoke.

So, it's probably your ECT sensor.   :lol:

That's got to be it.

JWC

Well, I was going for a ride, but I realized that the school down the street is letting out and those soccer moms are dangerous to be around....they are usually ticked off that so many moms drive to pick up their kids and clog the road way.

S204STi

I'm hoping for your sake that a good plug and wires sort things out.

JWC

Quote from: R-inge on September 24, 2009, 01:38:17 PM
I'm hoping for your sake that a good plug and wires sort things out.

Thanks.

I'm not looking forward to have both cars down at the same time.  Honestly, I have neglected the Beetle.  Short distance driving is the worst thing for a car....and leads to neglect.  I'm guilty of saying to myself, well, it only has been 3800 miles, so its okay. 

It was the same with the oil.  I let it go too long and you wouldn't believe the sludge that had built up on the strainer plate.  I'm going to pick up some BG engine flush next time I'm at my old job and divide it between the bus and the Beetle. 

Well, provided I don't have to pull this motor.  I might have one good head left from the last pull if this one is shot.   I would really like to avoid mismatching heads though.

the Teuton

If you pull the motor, I don't know what to tell you. I sold my Subaru EJ25, but I highly recommend you buy an EJ20 from a WRX and get to work on a swap. :ohyeah:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

That BG stuff is amazing.  I sold it on an Envoy that had clogged its VVT solenoid on the exhaust side due to debris in the oil.  They had run the oil past the OLM pretty much every oil change for the life of the vehicle, and I've seen these solenoids get plugged up right away even after replacing them, so I sold an oil flush, and that stuff came out so nasty.. wow.

JWC

Quote from: the Teuton on September 24, 2009, 02:41:57 PM
If you pull the motor, I don't know what to tell you. I sold my Subaru EJ25, but I highly recommend you buy an EJ20 from a WRX and get to work on a swap. :ohyeah:

That whole scenario defeats the purpose of owning a VW.

JWC

Quote from: R-inge on September 24, 2009, 03:03:34 PM
That BG stuff is amazing.  I sold it on an Envoy that had clogged its VVT solenoid on the exhaust side due to debris in the oil.  They had run the oil past the OLM pretty much every oil change for the life of the vehicle, and I've seen these solenoids get plugged up right away even after replacing them, so I sold an oil flush, and that stuff came out so nasty.. wow.

I've always been skeptical of any additive, fuel or oil...until BG.  Their fuel additive, 44K, is expensive, but well worth the cost.  I'll be buying that too if this proves to be just a spark plug.  Reading "Made in Brazil" on the plug gives me some hope, but since I've never had a plug fail in a VW, just valves, I'm not holding out much hope.

S204STi

BG is the only additive other than Techron that I stick in anything I own.  I am still wary of the oil additive, but the rest of their stuff is great.

JWC

Quote from: R-inge on September 24, 2009, 03:10:45 PM
BG is the only additive other than Techron that I stick in anything I own.  I am still wary of the oil additive, but the rest of their stuff is great.

Talking about MOA?   I've just put that in with the last oil service.  From the what I have read online, Harley owners like MOA and have said it drops operating temps about ten degrees.  Since the VW only holds 2.6qts, I only had to add less than half the can.   The other selling point for MOA (or any BG product) was the free roadside assistance for three months that came with the purchase.   For eight bucks, I got three months of R/A.  

S204STi

Oh wow, not bad.

I'm curious about it because of the way it settles in the bottom of an oil container when I'm adding.  Usually I use an oil jug with bulk oil and dump the can into the jug to try to mix it into the oil as well as possible, but the fact is that it doesn't seem to want to mix that well.  It makes me wonder if most of it just sits in the base of your oil pan.  But since Harley owners see such a huge reduction in temps is may very well be working.

JWC

Quote from: R-inge on September 24, 2009, 04:35:29 PM
Oh wow, not bad.

I'm curious about it because of the way it settles in the bottom of an oil container when I'm adding.  Usually I use an oil jug with bulk oil and dump the can into the jug to try to mix it into the oil as well as possible, but the fact is that it doesn't seem to want to mix that well.  It makes me wonder if most of it just sits in the base of your oil pan.  But since Harley owners see such a huge reduction in temps is may very well be working.

I'm giving it a try.  My engine usually hits 220F on a hot day around 90F, and sitting at idle---drops to 180F on the highway.  If this engine doesn't have to come out for repair, I'll let you know how it does. 

JWC

I guess I'll throw the plug in it tomorrow. 

After almost two days of looking, finding, separating, and cleaning tools and organizing them in the new cabinet, I can't find the hose to the compression  tester.  I can find the gauge...but not the friggin' hose.

S204STi

Quote from: JWC on September 24, 2009, 05:06:03 PM
I guess I'll throw the plug in it tomorrow. 

After almost two days of looking, finding, separating, and cleaning tools and organizing them in the new cabinet, I can't find the hose to the compression  tester.  I can find the gauge...but not the friggin' hose.

Figures.

AutobahnSHO

You have two cars- and neither of them have fuel injection or a computer??!?!?! 
:lol:

Will

JWC

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 24, 2009, 08:06:26 PM
You have two cars- and neither of them have fuel injection or a computer??!?!?! 
:lol:

Well, actually the Westfalia has FI and a computer.  All the planets have to be perfectly aligned for the old L-jet FI to work properly.  Testing is done with a manual and a volt/ohm meter.   When it works, it works great and hardly ever fails, which is why I'm spending so much time trying to repair the FI instead of replacing it with a carb kit.  One of my errands planned today was to find some replacement vacuum hoses for the Westy.  That didn't pan out though due to the Beetle breaking down.

CJ

You've got L-jet in the Westy?  Mt 242 GT has K-jet.  Dreaded, nasty, horrible K-jet.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

JWC

The L-jet system is fairly well liked among VW folks.  My problem is I'm not very handy when it comes to electrical stuff and to test the system required pulling relays, getting pin numbers, referring to the manual, matching pin numbers and getting readings...hoping they are in spec, or not since that tells you it is the problem.

JWC

Anyway, picked up the plugs this afternoon.  I still couldn't locate the hose to the compression tester, so I crossed my fingers and replaced the #2 spark plug.  No more engine skip.  Tomorrow I'll replace all the plugs, check the points, and readjust the carb. 

If all is well after that, I'm pulling the carb for an inspection and cleaning. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JWC on September 25, 2009, 01:59:19 PM
Anyway, picked up the plugs this afternoon.  I still couldn't locate the hose to the compression tester, so I crossed my fingers and replaced the #2 spark plug.  No more engine skip.  Tomorrow I'll replace all the plugs, check the points, and readjust the carb. 

If all is well after that, I'm pulling the carb for an inspection and cleaning. 

Told ya it was the ECT
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JWC

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Another Carspin mission almost completed. :lol:
Will

JWC

Still almost completed.   I removed the carburetor, took it apart and cleaned it.  That made a hell of a difference in how it runs.  There is a lot of criticism about Brosol carbs being crap right out of the box.  Evidently, the secret is to buy the carb and a kit and clean it/blow it out before installation.

I can actually make some accurate adjustments with this carb now.

JWC

Took the Beetle out for a test run, town and highway, ran fine and never got above 180F.   I'll try it again tomorrow since it is suppose to warm up.  I might it take it for my doctor's appt tomorrow morning.  That will be a good test drive.