Your car was just totaled. What do you buy?

Started by ifcar, September 25, 2009, 01:34:10 PM

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on September 25, 2009, 07:34:15 PM

Well, your other recent one wasn't bad either, to be fair.

Basically not having a whole page worth of rules is a good starting point.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on September 26, 2009, 07:59:45 AM
Well, your other recent one wasn't bad either, to be fair.

Basically not having a whole page worth of rules is a good starting point.

The rules are what makes it fun!  It's like restarting a game of Gran Turismo.  If you just start over and do everything the same way, why bother restarting?  If I got an MX5 the first time, I try and do something differently the next time around.  A good set of rules forces you to be creative, but are not too restrictive.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on September 26, 2009, 08:08:07 AM
The rules are what makes it fun!  It's like restarting a game of Gran Turismo.  If you just start over and do everything the same way, why bother restarting?  If I got an MX5 the first time, I try and do something differently the next time around.  A good set of rules forces you to be creative, but are not too restrictive.

Most of the time the rules exclude any car I'm actually interested in, so I just don't bother playing most of these games anymore.  This one makes sense to me though because I often ponder it.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20034.msg1167536#msg1167536 date=1253974087
No, after you've had the MX-5 you'd find that all other cars suck and just get another one.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on September 26, 2009, 08:33:15 AM
No, after you've had the MX-5 you'd find that all other cars suck and just get another one.

Eh, I'm still not convinced of that.  I've driven two and they're still at the bottom of my lists.  On a cost effectiveness scale, they're amazing, but I'm not smitten. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20034.msg1167560#msg1167560 date=1253975851
Eh, I'm still not convinced of that.  I've driven two and they're still at the bottom of my lists.  On a cost effectiveness scale, they're amazing, but I'm not smitten. 
It's ruined me. I need a modern car but find all of them to be fat pigs with huge gear shifters. I'm not going to be truly happy with whatever I find these days.

S204STi

The good thing about that is that you will always find cheaper used cars that are completely satisfying.

Onslaught

Quote from: R-inge on September 26, 2009, 09:08:36 AM
The good thing about that is that you will always find cheaper used cars that are completely satisfying.
Don't want to hijack this one. But I don't want a used car next time around. And I really can't think of a used car that would fit the bill.
I just have to come to realize that you can't always have the perfect car. They don't really make it.

SVT32V

S60R
previous generation CTS-V
Charger SRT-8
GC SRT-8

ChrisV

Quote from: Onslaught on September 26, 2009, 09:11:26 AM
Don't want to hijack this one. But I don't want a used car next time around. And I really can't think of a used car that would fit the bill.
I just have to come to realize that you can't always have the perfect car. They don't really make it.

That's why I never have just one. Different cars for different roles. And rarely stick with just one type.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ChrisV on September 26, 2009, 03:14:24 PM
That's why I never have just one. Different cars for different roles. And rarely stick with just one type.

:hesaid:

It's good to have a two car minimum policy.  :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: NACar on September 26, 2009, 03:19:07 PM
:hesaid:

It's good to have a two car minimum policy.  :lol:

If one of them is a Swift, you definitely need a backup.

As a sidenote, my parents once had five cars so they could be sure to have one that ran on any given day.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on September 26, 2009, 03:26:04 PM
If one of them is a Swift, you definitely need a backup.

As a sidenote, my parents once had five cars so they could be sure to have one that ran on any given day.

Ifcar has funny? :confused:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on September 26, 2009, 03:27:53 PM

Ifcar has funny? :confused:

Every now and then it hits you like a smack in he face, and you realize, "Oh my God, Ifcar just cracked a joke!"

nickdrinkwater

I doubt I could get anything for ?500 that wouldn't break down within a week so I'd probably save towards a new car down the line.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

GoCougs

I'm going to go with a 1-2 year old Altima sedan V6 w/6sp MT.

NomisR

Woo hoo.. a dealer offered me $12500 for my RSX, better than what I expected.. hmm..

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on September 28, 2009, 10:46:22 AM
I'm going to go with a 1-2 year old Altima sedan V6 w/6sp MT.
I am genuinely surprised

I guess the rules bar a TL Type-S... I've found owners of J-series powered cars to be very loyal to that engine

NomisR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 28, 2009, 01:00:54 PM
I am genuinely surprised

I guess the rules bar a TL Type-S... I've found owners of J-series powered cars to be very loyal to that engine

I thought the only rules are what you can realistically afford?

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 28, 2009, 01:00:54 PM
I am genuinely surprised

Meh - could be a fad - either way the J-series is very hard to find w/MT - in sedan form it's almost impossible (TL Type-S, 2006-2007 Accord Sedan SE 6MT)

hotrodalex

Quote from: Psilos on September 25, 2009, 03:02:47 PM
If the MG was wrecked (ha, I guess by a drunk driver, since it's just sitting there), I would take the money, wait until spring, and buy an NA Miata. I would probably get screwed by insurance and get less than $3k, but I was planning on buying a Miata then, anyway...

If it was the 'Sploder, I'd buy another 'Sploder.

It's cheaper to buy cars in late fall, especially convertibles. People sell the car for cheap since it's going to be winter soon. But in the spring the prices go up since it's nice weather and everyone wants a convertible.

NomisR

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 28, 2009, 02:15:28 PM
It's cheaper to buy cars in late fall, especially convertibles. People sell the car for cheap since it's going to be winter soon. But in the spring the prices go up since it's nice weather and everyone wants a convertible.

Maybe where you're at.. but not here.

r0tor

i don't know of anything that seats 4 that can match my car's handling for this price... so, i'd probably have to settle for something more practical like a WRX hatch or 3er sedan
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on September 28, 2009, 04:23:04 PM
i don't know of anything that seats 4 that can match my car's handling for this price... so, i'd probably have to settle for something more practical like a WRX hatch or 3er sedan

Welcome to the club.

3.0L V6

Hmmm...since the insurance won't give me much money for my car, it'll be another econobox. Four door probably with a 5-speed manual transmission and more fun to drive than my Saturn...

I'd go with a 2001+ model Mazda Protege. It's a good handling car and more power than my Saturn as it has a 2.0L engine optional (I'd pass on the 1.6L).

saxonyron

I'd stay in my current situation and get an '09 A6 with the 3.0T with 300 HP.  I could snag a very slightly used one CPO for the mid to high $30's, just like I did 2 years ago.  It'd be deja vous all over again, just with 45 extra HP!  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan