Ford's Ecoboost V-6

Started by shp4man, September 28, 2009, 09:49:28 AM

r0tor

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 29, 2009, 07:26:25 PM
W/the additional pumping losses and weight you will never get the gas mileage of a normal 3.5

Part of the turbo theory is reclaiming energy in the exhaust gas and using it to reduce intake losses...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT32V

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 02, 2009, 12:33:05 PM
I mention that only in terms of fuel efficiency.  I expect that direct injection could be more appropriately metered than port injection and the engine could be made to run more efficiently.  As well, with direct injection and a smart computer process, you could start the engine without other than squirting a bit of fuel in the cylinder which is best situated and then firing it off.  Stopping the engine when the car is stopped and refiring it would be simplified.  I'm not too sure why there hasn't been more development of this feature.  I believe Mazda had experimented with something like this. 

More importantly with DI you can run more compression which does increase efficiency.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: r0tor on October 02, 2009, 01:51:19 PM
Part of the turbo theory is reclaiming energy in the exhaust gas and using it to reduce intake losses...
The way I see it, if you're out of boost you've got a normal N/A motor with big restrictions on both the intake/exhaust

And then once you're in boost, there's prob a sweet spot of increased efficiency up to a certain point, but from there on you have a 350HP engine.

Nethead

The general science-&-gadgetry magazine  Popular Mechanics  has an annual  "Ten Most Brilliant Products of (the current year)" award which sometimes goes to one or more automobile engines.  Only one automobile engine got one of the ten awards in 2009:

10 Most Brilliant Products of 2009: Ford Ecoboost V6
Most breakthrough innovations make their greatest contributions when they become products people can buy. Here, Popular Mechanics awards the top 10 most brilliant gadgets, tools and toys that you can buy in 2009.

By The Editors
Published in the November 2009 issue.

Ford has built the first of a new breed of turbo engines designed to improve fuel efficiency. In the past, turbocharged engines have been used to boost power rather than save fuel. They ran at efficiency-killing low compression ratios and rich air/fuel ratios to prevent meltdowns. The 365-hp 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 uses several tricks to overcome these limitations. For instance, the direct fuel-injection system squirts fuel into the combustion chamber instead of the intake ports?this cools the chamber, allowing for a fairly high 10.0:1 compression ratio. The new V6 debuted in the Lincoln MKT and MKS, and the Ford Taurus SHO.
So many stairs...so little time...

CALL_911

Quote from: Nethead on October 09, 2009, 11:21:53 AM
The general science-&-gadgetry magazine  Popular Mechanics  has an annual  "Ten Most Brilliant Products of (the current year)" award which sometimes goes to one or more automobile engines.  Only one automobile engine got one of the ten awards in 2009:

10 Most Brilliant Products of 2009: Ford Ecoboost V6
Most breakthrough innovations make their greatest contributions when they become products people can buy. Here, Popular Mechanics awards the top 10 most brilliant gadgets, tools and toys that you can buy in 2009.

By The Editors
Published in the November 2009 issue.

Ford has built the first of a new breed of turbo engines designed to improve fuel efficiency. In the past, turbocharged engines have been used to boost power rather than save fuel. They ran at efficiency-killing low compression ratios and rich air/fuel ratios to prevent meltdowns. The 365-hp 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 uses several tricks to overcome these limitations. For instance, the direct fuel-injection system squirts fuel into the combustion chamber instead of the intake ports?this cools the chamber, allowing for a fairly high 10.0:1 compression ratio. The new V6 debuted in the Lincoln MKT and MKS, and the Ford Taurus SHO.

That's bullshit.

1. They must not have heard of the BMW N54.
2. I don't buy the "eco" claim at all.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 09, 2009, 11:45:58 AM
That's bullshit.

1. They must not have heard of the BMW N54.
2. I don't buy the "eco" claim at all.
Yea, I was gonna say there's nothing economical about a 360+ HP engine in a passenger car. Ford needs to utilize Ecoboost on a small 4 banger, retaining the gas mileage of the 4 banger while gaining the performance & effortlessness of a big V6. When they do that, I'll be impressed by their boldness. However, manufacturers have been utilizing turbos for that purpose since.........

.......the first turbo Skyline from the 80s?

GoCougs

Popular Mechanics is one of the worst magazines in print. It's absolutely terrible. All that technology has been around for some time - and lolz at describing direct injection as if though it were brand new technology.

It's a good effort, especially for Ford, but really nothing ground breaking. Put the "Eco"boost into a $28k Fusion and now we're talking, but for $40k+ vehicles, 365 hp is nothing special.

FoMoJo

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 09, 2009, 12:18:01 PM
Yea, I was gonna say there's nothing economical about a 360+ HP engine in a passenger car. Ford needs to utilize Ecoboost on a small 4 banger, retaining the gas mileage of the 4 banger while gaining the performance & effortlessness of a big V6. When they do that, I'll be impressed by their boldness. However, manufacturers have been utilizing turbos for that purpose since.........

Ford Unveils EcoBoost 4-Cylinder Engine Family in Frankfurt

No mention of when it will be available in NA :huh:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

93JC

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 09, 2009, 12:18:01 PM
However, manufacturers have been utilizing turbos for that purpose since.........

Before that.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 93JC on October 09, 2009, 02:32:21 PM
Before that.
I don't really count the 911 or Corvair...

Ahh... 2002? Saab 99?

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 02, 2009, 03:25:57 PM
The way I see it, if you're out of boost you've got a normal N/A motor with big restrictions on both the intake/exhaust

And then once you're in boost, there's prob a sweet spot of increased efficiency up to a certain point, but from there on you have a 350HP engine.

I think that's really only true with a very big turbo.  With smaller snails there is very little restriction on the exhaust off-boost.  Even keeping my foot out of it my car is no slower than our Outback with the same size DOHC motor.

93JC

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 09, 2009, 06:56:56 PM
I don't really count the 911 or Corvair...

Ahh... 2002? Saab 99?

Those, '78 Buick Regal and LeSabre, '80 Turbo Trans Am... Lots of other stuff came out around then with a turbo.

S204STi

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 09, 2009, 02:28:36 PM
Ford Unveils EcoBoost 4-Cylinder Engine Family in Frankfurt

No mention of when it will be available in NA :huh:.

It has a timing belt?

Not necessarily :facepalm: material, but still annoying.  Chains are the way to go.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: R-inge on October 10, 2009, 01:56:21 PM
I think that's really only true with a very big turbo.  With smaller snails there is very little restriction on the exhaust off-boost.  Even keeping my foot out of it my car is no slower than our Outback with the same size DOHC motor.
Well I don't know the EJ20T intimately but I'd imagine that puppy starts spooling around 2K. Plus it prob has a relatively high compression ratio. My car has an 8.8:1 ratio w/no turbo, and it pulls nicely from 2K and beyond.

For a low power/boost/displacement application I think a turbo would beat out either a bigger motor or a higher revving one. Which I guess is the point. But the whole 'Ecoboost' moniker on a 360HP engine in a passenger car just seems goofy to me. The smaller applications are much more sensible.

SVT32V

Quote from: 93JC on October 09, 2009, 02:32:21 PM
Before that.

'80 trans am

'78 and up regals or Grand nationals

79 mustang 2.3 pace car

83-88 tbird turbo coupe

83 mustang gt turbo

84-86 mustang SVO

86-88 merkur XR4ti

just to name a few early US cars in addition to a smattering in the '50s

S204STi

I got to drive an XR4Ti once.  Kinda... odd.

SVT32V

Quote from: R-inge on October 10, 2009, 06:01:28 PM

Pretty nice for '86 with RWD and IRS, they certainy handled quite well.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 10, 2009, 04:02:53 PM
But the whole 'Ecoboost' moniker on a 360HP engine in a passenger car just seems goofy to me.

BUT TELL THEM THEY'RE SAVING THE PLANET AND THEY'LL BUY IT.
Will

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on October 10, 2009, 06:01:28 PM

It felt a lot faster than it really was. My brother had one until he blew the engine. Damn turbochargers... :lol:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FoMoJo

Quote from: R-inge on October 10, 2009, 02:03:45 PM
It has a timing belt?

Not necessarily :facepalm: material, but still annoying.  Chains are the way to go.
A little odd :confused:.  It must be based on the Euro Zetec rather than the Mazda MZR.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

93JC

Meh.

$10 says the 1.6 L Ecoboost engine is just the ol' 1.6 L Sigma engine (which uses a belt) with a turbo on it, and the 2.0 L Ecoboost is the 2.0 L MZR/Duratec (which uses a chain) with a turbo on it.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 93JC on October 13, 2009, 01:27:29 PM
Meh.

$10 says the 1.6 L Ecoboost engine is just the ol' 1.6 L Sigma engine (which uses a belt) with a turbo on it, and the 2.0 L Ecoboost is the 2.0 L MZR/Duratec (which uses a chain) with a turbo on it.
That works for me

And belts aren't that bad if it's a motor that's popular for rebuilding. One of my biggest fears of dealing with a Maxima engine build is getting the damn timing chain reassembly wrong. Belts are much more forgiving.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on October 13, 2009, 01:27:29 PM
Meh.

Two turbos with direction injection and whole lot of software modifications.

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 10, 2009, 04:02:53 PM
Well I don't know the EJ20T intimately but I'd imagine that puppy starts spooling around 2K. Plus it prob has a relatively high compression ratio. My car has an 8.8:1 ratio w/no turbo, and it pulls nicely from 2K and beyond.

For a low power/boost/displacement application I think a turbo would beat out either a bigger motor or a higher revving one. Which I guess is the point. But the whole 'Ecoboost' moniker on a 360HP engine in a passenger car just seems goofy to me. The smaller applications are much more sensible.

What the hell are you trying to say?  :confused:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MrH on October 13, 2009, 05:56:07 PM
What the hell are you trying to say?  :confused:
If you are looking to make a moderate amount of horsepower, to me a small, low pressure turbo motor would make more sense than a high revving naturally aspirated motor or a needlessly complex + heavier larger motor.

I.e., VAG's 2.0T to me makes more sense in 99% of the car they offer than their equally powerful V6, or something like the K20A in the Civic Si. The GTI has the best gas mileage for a ~3000#, 200HP car that I've seen in a while.

My issue is that they are calling it Ecoboost, when it is in no way eco-friendly or economical. But overall, turbocharging does make a lot of sense.