I'll have a 2010 Forester for a week; any questions I should look to answer?

Started by ifcar, October 01, 2009, 04:39:45 AM

ifcar

I'm scheduled to pick it up tomorrow morning, I believe a 2.5XS automatic. Is there anything about the car anyone is particularly curious about or interested in?

Galaxy

You might want ot write a bit about the unique engine. Such as if a modern boxer 4 banger has any advantages in terms of smoothness etc, when compared to a modern I4.

ifcar

Quote from: Galaxy on October 01, 2009, 06:30:42 AM
You might want ot write a bit about the unique engine. Such as if a modern boxer 4 banger has any advantages in terms of smoothness etc, when compared to a modern I4.

As far as I know, Subaru uses the engine primarily because it fits well with its all-wheel-drive system, not for smoothness.

Galaxy

Quote from: ifcar on October 01, 2009, 06:40:19 AM
As far as I know, Subaru uses the engine primarily because it fits well with its all-wheel-drive system, not for smoothness.

Perhaps the shortness of the flat 4 does allow them to better integrate the AWD components, however the boxer is inherently better balanced then I4s.

J86

Kinda an odd question.  Are the rear seats remotely comfortable?  My grandmother is on her third Forester, and the rear seats in all of 'em have been horribly uncomfortable.

ifcar

Quote from: J86 on October 01, 2009, 10:29:18 AM
Kinda an odd question.  Are the rear seats remotely comfortable?  My grandmother is on her third Forester, and the rear seats in all of 'em have been horribly uncomfortable.

I'll certainly check on that. Is your concern that they're too hard, or that there's not enough space?

J86

Quote from: ifcar on October 01, 2009, 10:32:20 AM
I'll certainly check on that. Is your concern that they're too hard, or that there's not enough space?

Space was fine.  From what I remember (haven't ridden in her car in over a year, probably) there wasn't too much padding and the seat was oddly contoured...as in flat as a board.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Galaxy on October 01, 2009, 06:57:39 AM
Perhaps the shortness of the flat 4 does allow them to better integrate the AWD components, however the boxer is inherently better balanced then I4s.

It lowers tha COM of the car, making it uber fast. :praise:

Raza

Maybe a focus on the cargo bay would be nice.  I mean, you could look up numbers, but there's no accounting for shape in those numbers.  I bought a trash can and while it would fit in my car, there was no opening large enough for it to actually get into my car.  My car's trunk is massive, but because of the relatively narrow opening, large, bulky items can't fit.  So in a car like the Forester, where practicality is one of the main concerns, I think that would be good to know.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2009, 10:59:05 AM
Maybe a focus on the cargo bay would be nice.  I mean, you could look up numbers, but there's no accounting for shape in those numbers.  I bought a trash can and while it would fit in my car, there was no opening large enough for it to actually get into my car.  My car's trunk is massive, but because of the relatively narrow opening, large, bulky items can't fit.  So in a car like the Forester, where practicality is one of the main concerns, I think that would be good to know.

I'll definitely go into detail on the cargo area. Were you also unable to get the trash can into your back seat?

93JC

Quote from: ifcar on October 01, 2009, 06:40:19 AM

Subaru uses a boxer-4 because the starting building boxer-4s in the '60s, and have ever since.

In fact, the first Subarus to use the boxer-4 engines were front-drive. They went with the engine configuration because the Volkswagen Beetle was popular.

the Teuton

And the flat-4 is a fairly compact, robust motor for its physical size.

Compared to a longblock Mitsubishi I4, it's tiny.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

I think the main reason they stick with it though is because of heritage and the marketing.  For example, they can do their "Symmetrical AWD" thing, pointing out that the entire system is laid out in straight lines with relatively few twists and turns.  Also, the low center of gravity and low hoods give a distinct driving experience, with with Euro pedestrial crash standards, meaning the front of the car isn't chunky by necessity.  Additionally, they talk about primary and secondary balance, meaning generally smooth running, though they still shake at idle due to other balance issues related to the design (MX793 explained it once but I forgot...), and they have a unique sound that some like and others hate.

One reason to drop it would be cost.  The boxer configuration is more costly to build.  Also NVH.  But that can be dealt with using higher-tech bushings and sound deadening. 

Galaxy

Quote from: the Teuton on October 01, 2009, 11:42:44 AM
And the flat-4 is a fairly compact, robust motor for its physical size.

Compared to a longblock Mitsubishi I4, it's tiny.

The boxer is short but it builds very wide. Packaging it with the steering is quite difficult. Hence why boxers are usually used as mid or rear engines.

S204STi

Mid engine is the best way to mount them, otherwise they have to hang off the front or rear axle centerline, which compromises handling.

Galaxy

Quote from: R-inge on October 01, 2009, 02:37:27 PM
Mid engine is the best way to mount them, otherwise they have to hang off the front or rear axle centerline, which compromises handling.

That is not necessarily true. Subaru places the engine in front of the axle because of the AWD components. Without the AWD it would be easier to mount the engine on, or behind the axle then is possible with an Inline or V engine.

Take it on some camping/hiking/hunting trip with friends, take lots of pictures, write about the fun/frustration/experiences of the trip in the context of the car.  Kinda like one of those more theme oriented reviews rather than a straight CR style review.

Subaru markets it as the kind of car to take you on an adventure, so go on an adventure.

Actually right now in the northeast, the leaves are close to the peak of their color change.  If there was any time to take a trip through the winding country roads of connecticut, massachusetts, new hampshire and vermont, taking in the crisp fall air and basking in the radient glow of amber hillsides overlooking mirror smooth lakes,  it's now.

You could probably get up here in 6ish hours if you drive fast.

ifcar

Quote from: 565 on October 01, 2009, 03:08:37 PM
Take it on some camping/hiking/hunting trip with friends, take lots of pictures, write about the fun/frustration/experiences of the trip in the context of the car.  Kinda like one of those more theme oriented reviews rather than a straight CR style review.

Subaru markets it as the kind of car to take you on an adventure, so go on an adventure.

Actually right now in the northeast, the leaves are close to the peak of their color change.  If there was any time to take a trip through the winding country roads of connecticut, massachusetts, new hampshire and vermont, taking in the crisp fall air and basking in the radient glow of amber hillsides overlooking mirror smooth lakes,  it's now.

You could probably get up here in 6ish hours if you drive fast.

A full road trip probably won't happen. Too much coordination required. Definitely lots of pictures, though.

S204STi

Quote from: Galaxy on October 01, 2009, 03:00:29 PM
That is not necessarily true. Subaru places the engine in front of the axle because of the AWD components. Without the AWD it would be easier to mount the engine on, or behind the axle then is possible with an Inline or V engine.

Not without some odd packaging.  The engine would have to be mounted on top of the differential for that to work, which would negate the low center of gravity thing, or the engine would be facing the bulkhead, which would make repairs a bit of a pain unless they went to a timing chain.

Galaxy

Quote from: R-inge on October 01, 2009, 04:55:48 PM
Not without some odd packaging.  The engine would have to be mounted on top of the differential for that to work, which would negate the low center of gravity thing, or the engine would be facing the bulkhead, which would make repairs a bit of a pain unless they went to a timing chain.

More painful then vehicles like the Chrysler vans where something as simple as changing the spark plug wires on the rear bank is a PITA?

ifcar

Quote from: Catman on October 01, 2009, 06:43:42 PM
8 adults with luggage.

It's a compact, two-row vehicle. So no, unless you put the adults and some of the luggage on the roof or in a small trailer.

Catman

Quote from: ifcar on October 01, 2009, 06:45:48 PM
It's a compact, two-row vehicle. So no, unless you put the adults and some of the luggage on the roof or in a small trailer.

That's an option.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)