I'll have a 2010 Forester for a week; any questions I should look to answer?

Started by ifcar, October 01, 2009, 04:39:45 AM

S204STi

Quote from: Galaxy on October 01, 2009, 05:02:51 PM
More painful then vehicles like the Chrysler vans where something as simple as changing the spark plug wires on the rear bank is a PITA?

Imagine doing a timing belt with it facing the bulkhead and you get the idea.  But like I said if they went to chain drive it would be ok, as long as nothing broke.  In which case you'd have to pull the motor...

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on October 01, 2009, 11:00:38 AM
I'll definitely go into detail on the cargo area. Were you also unable to get the trash can into your back seat?

Yup.  My rear door is very short, and that resulted in a too narrow opening for the trash can to fit through.  It was a rather large can though, 50 gallons or something like that.  I'm not talking kitchen size.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on October 01, 2009, 02:37:27 PM
Mid engine is the best way to mount them, otherwise they have to hang off the front or rear axle centerline, which compromises handling.

Midship is the best way to mount any engine.  :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Maxxum

1) does the whole vehicle still shake when you start the engine?
2) does the engine / muffler assembly growl from outside as if it is leaking or was made in 1950.
3) Is the greenhouse still exposed enough that it will heat up more than other vehicles? IOW, how is the tint (by visual observation, it seems they have worked on it).

Ours is 2.5 yr old, bought in April 2007 and those are my peeves with it. I like the power (and that is with base engine), fuel efficiency and the drive but it lacks refinement. I'm going to spend like 200 for a window tint sometime soon. The alloy wheels have gathered rusty outlines around the bolts, the rear door black lift handle is losing its coating and rusting.
My '04 accord OTOH, at 5+ years and 92K miles is still completely rust free.
(\__/)     
(='.'=) << One day I will rule the world!         
(")_(")

GoCougs

Quote from: Maxxum on October 02, 2009, 11:46:36 AM
1) does the whole vehicle still shake when you start the engine?
2) does the engine / muffler assembly growl from outside as if it is leaking or was made in 1950.
3) Is the greenhouse still exposed enough that it will heat up more than other vehicles? IOW, how is the tint (by visual observation, it seems they have worked on it).

Ours is 2.5 yr old, bought in April 2007 and those are my peeves with it. I like the power (and that is with base engine), fuel efficiency and the drive but it lacks refinement. I'm going to spend like 200 for a window tint sometime soon. The alloy wheels have gathered rusty outlines around the bolts, the rear door black lift handle is losing its coating and rusting.
My '04 accord OTOH, at 5+ years and 92K miles is still completely rust free.

4.) Does the Subaru boxer still sound like a sewing machine with all manner of clicks, squeaks and whirring?

ifcar

I didn't notice shaking, but I'll be on the look out for it. I'll also check the tint, but the big windows are definitely intentional and are definitely a big plus for visibility.

AutobahnSHO

looks like a friggin suzuki or ha-yun-dah-yay or something..

Speaking of Subarus, I'm in NH right now. Like every 3rd vehicle is a subie. Wicked cool, ya know.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 03, 2009, 01:18:27 PM

Speaking of Subarus, I'm in NH right now. Like every 3rd vehicle is a subie. Wicked cool, ya know.

LOL.
Maine is the same, or worse. It's amazing.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on October 02, 2009, 12:42:17 PM
4.) Does the Subaru boxer still sound like a sewing machine with all manner of clicks, squeaks and whirring?

I don't really notice any weird noises. To me it sounds like a regular engine with a twist. Not wrong, just different. I wouldn't necessarily say I like or dislike the sound either. It's a pretty good engine too, seeing as how it's more or a less a 10 year old design that's still competitive.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on October 03, 2009, 10:19:11 PM
30 fucking thousand dollars for that underpowered piece!?

$29k and a similarly equipped, similarly powered CR-V costs $1.5k more.

Subaru does need to get a 5AT or 6AT into this thing.

Autobahn

Quote from: TBR on October 04, 2009, 12:08:36 AM
$29k and a similarly equipped, similarly powered CR-V costs $1.5k more.

Subaru does need to get a 5AT or 6AT into this thing.

They need to get a 6AT in about everything.
While I enjoyed the overall experience with the Impreza rental I had in May in the US it was seriously hampered by the transmission. Same for the Legacy wagon rental I had 3 weeks ago in New Zealand, same 4AT that shifts a bit rough like the old MB ATs I remember from my parents W201s and W124s in the 90s. Otherwise I really liked the Subies....

cawimmer430

I want to know if people will ask you if you're either gay or lesbian if they see you driving a Subaru.  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 04, 2009, 05:20:17 AM
I want to know if people will ask you if you're either gay or lesbian if they see you driving a Subaru.  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

They will if they see me driving around wearing a skirt today. (For a community theater production.)

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on October 03, 2009, 10:19:11 PM
30 fucking thousand dollars for that underpowered piece!?

Only because it's fully loaded. Option it gently and it's less than the competition.

omicron

Quote from: ifcar on October 04, 2009, 05:46:18 AM
They will if they see me driving around wearing a skirt today. (For a community theater production.)

I shall have to douse myself with cold water after that revelation, Iffy.

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on October 04, 2009, 05:47:06 AM
Only because it's fully loaded. Option it gently and it's less than the competition.

Have your other loaners been loaded also?

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on October 04, 2009, 07:48:26 AM
Have your other loaners been loaded also?

Yes. This is the first automatic, but the others all had every other available option.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on October 02, 2009, 12:42:17 PM

Depends.  My car, yes somewhat, especially with the windows down.  The newer Legacys cars don't as much.  Equal length exhausts and sound deadening helps with that.

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 03, 2009, 01:18:27 PM

You're G-D right!

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

S204STi

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 04, 2009, 09:26:03 AM
If I end up at Dartmouth, I'm gonna go out and get a WRX. :rockon:

That's cool, because then you could go down to the epic Subaru circle-jerk known as the "Wicked Big Meet" down in Mass.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on October 04, 2009, 09:34:00 AM
That's cool, because then you could go down to the epic Subaru circle-jerk known as the "Wicked Big Meet" down in Mass.

I'll show up there in the Swift and own some lesbian noobs

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on October 04, 2009, 05:46:18 AM

Are you playing the princess or a Scotsman?  :devil:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de