Fiat green lights new Ram brand

Started by SVT666, October 01, 2009, 02:11:21 PM

SVT666

Fiat green lights new Ram brand, pulls ahead first Fiat-based Chrysler model
10/01/2009, 11:15 AMBY DREW JOHNSON

Following rumors that broke late last month, Fiat will move forward with a plan to create a separate Ram brand within Chrysler?s Dodge division. In addition to the new Ram brand plan, Fiat has also decided to rush Chrysler?s first Fiat-based model to market by 2011.

According to Automotive News, Fiat will reveal its new plans for Chrysler to the United States government this week.

Under Fiat?s plan for the Ram brand, all of Dodge?s truck offering will be moved to the new division. That shift will include vehicles like the Dakota pickup truck, but could also include SUV models, such as the upcoming Dodge Durango.

The decision to move Dodge?s truck offerings to a new Ram brand will clear the way for Fiat to transform the Dodge brand into a performance car division, similar to the Italian automaker?s Alfa Rome brand. Additionally, the separation will make the sale of Dodge?s truck operation much easier, should the need arise down the road.

It remains unclear what Fiat-based Chrysler model will be launched in 2011, but it will be in addition to the Fiat 500, set to launch next year.

Speed_Racer

Seems odd to me. I thought they were trying to minimize the amount of brands they have, not create new ones.

SVT666

Quote from: Speed_Racer on October 01, 2009, 02:41:30 PM
Seems odd to me. I thought they were trying to minimize the amount of brands they have, not create new ones.
I don't see a problem with more brands as long as the brands have a specific identity.  GM's problem was all the brands looked the same.  Fiat is proposing this:

Ram - Trucks, SUVs, and Minivans
Chrysler - Luxury cars
Dodge - Performance cars
Jeep - Offroad

If they can split them up like this and not share product the way GM did, I think it will work.

93JC

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 01, 2009, 03:08:09 PM
I don't see a problem with more brands as long as the brands have a specific identity.  GM's problem was all the brands looked the same.  Fiat is proposing this:

Chrysler - Luxury cars
Dodge - Performance cars

If they can split them up like this and not share product the way GM did, I think it will work.

And where does that leave Jeep? The distinction between Jeep and Ram will be difficult. I am assuming that Chrysler will keep the Town & Country. Perhaps priced higher then it currently is.

Galaxy

3.0L V6

Seems like an easy way to save the Ram and dump the rest of Dodge, if need be.

Galaxy

If I read this right then the relationship between Dodge and Alfa will be like Seat and Audi.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 01, 2009, 03:08:09 PM
I don't see a problem with more brands as long as the brands have a specific identity.  GM's problem was all the brands looked the same.  Fiat is proposing this:

Chrysler - Luxury cars
Dodge - Performance cars

They forgot "mainstream cars."

the Teuton

Why not make Dodge into trucks and bring back AMC/Plymouth/DeSoto/anything else cool?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Catman

SVT666

Galaxy

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 02, 2009, 09:01:08 AM
Oh shit.  It's been amended.

Jeep and Ram will be both be Offroad brands it would seem. The only workable solution around this, that I can see is to position Jeep higher and with less volume as a real Land Rover competitior. The GC can stay as it is. Make the Commander a real Range Rover competitor.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

I don't like this move. It devalues Dodge and possibly Dodge trucks without any real upshot. The Ram is Dodge's most valuable asset, and people are comfortable buying Rams from Dodge because they've been doing it for decades. Now they want to simultaneously rob Dodge of the one product that's worth anything, and send the Ram off into uncharted waters. It's not like they're going to sell more Rams on its own name, so they're risking a possible sales decline in return for........nothing. :huh:

Dodge trucks were, with the possible exception of the Wrangler, the one Chrysler holding that didn't need any attention whatsoever. Don't fix what isn't broken, focus on the real problems.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TBR

Quote from: Galaxy on October 04, 2009, 11:15:50 AM
Jeep and Ram will be both be Offroad brands it would seem. The only workable solution around this, that I can see is to position Jeep higher and with less volume as a real Land Rover competitior. The GC can stay as it is. Make the Commander a real Range Rover competitor.

Other than the Power Wagon (which is quite distinct from anything Jeep makes), I really don't see Ram as an offroad brand. The Ram brand could certainly be managed so as to not clash with Jeep as it is now.

the Teuton

This idea sounds far too myopic for something so ever-changing like the US auto industry.

Ask people what a crossover was 30 years ago, and they might start talking about Freddie Mercury or something...

The market is not stagnant, and for them to do this seems too self-limiting, imo.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on October 04, 2009, 11:53:43 AM
I don't like this move. It devalues Dodge and possibly Dodge trucks without any real upshot. The Ram is Dodge's most valuable asset, and people are comfortable buying Rams from Dodge because they've been doing it for decades. Now they want to simultaneously rob Dodge of the one product that's worth anything, and send the Ram off into uncharted waters. It's not like they're going to sell more Rams on its own name, so they're risking a possible sales decline in return for........nothing. :huh:

Dodge trucks were, with the possible exception of the Wrangler, the one Chrysler holding that didn't need any attention whatsoever. Don't fix what isn't broken, focus on the real problems.

Well, Chrysler has been milking the Ram for the past decade though, everything they made in the Dodge brand even looked like the Ram.  They just slap the front end of the Ram onto a car body and called it a design.  What they need to start doing is learn how to design a car that doesn't look like a truck. 

Galaxy

Quote from: TBR on October 04, 2009, 02:40:43 PM
Other than the Power Wagon (which is quite distinct from anything Jeep makes), I really don't see Ram as an offroad brand. The Ram brand could certainly be managed so as to not clash with Jeep as it is now.

You do not see the Ram truck as an offroad vehicle? I would imagine the average Ram gets used more offroad then the average Grand Cherokee and can do around 95% of waht the GC can do.

SVT666

Quote from: Galaxy on October 05, 2009, 12:26:24 PM
You do not see the Ram truck as an offroad vehicle? I would imagine the average Ram gets used more offroad then the average Grand Cherokee and can do around 95% of waht the GC can do.
It's not marketed as such.

Galaxy

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 05, 2009, 12:39:59 PM
It's not marketed as such.

When the current Ram was introduced at the New York auto show it was presented with cows and cowboys. And yes bringing feed to your cattle counts as offroading. Offroading is not limited to rock crawling.  I would imagine many Ram drivers fantasize about driving through their (probably imaginary) ranch, just like 911 drivers fantasize about tearing up the N?rburgring.  :lol:

TBR

Quote from: Galaxy on October 05, 2009, 12:50:01 PM
When the current Ram was introduced at the New York auto show it was presented with cows and cowboys. And yes bringing feed to your cattle counts as offroading. Offroading is not limited to rock crawling.  I would imagine many Ram drivers fantasize about driving through their (probably imaginary) ranch, just like 911 drivers fantasize about tearing up the N?rburgring.  :lol:

My Prelude could do a splendid job of driving around pastures and dirt roads (ie: what ranchers do), but that doesn't make it an offroader.

Galaxy

Quote from: TBR on October 05, 2009, 04:19:15 PM
My Prelude could do a splendid job of driving around pastures and dirt roads (ie: what ranchers do), but that doesn't make it an offroader.

So this is not offroading just because they are not going over boulders?

Unless I am seriously overestimating the Ram it will handle this just as easily as the GC.

Tave

Meh--It'd be a toss-up between the Ram and Jeep over modest technical work as well.

Quote from: TBR on October 05, 2009, 04:19:15 PM
My Prelude could do a splendid job of driving around pastures

Ahhahaha. Sure it could.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

NomisR

Quote from: Galaxy on October 05, 2009, 04:33:21 PM
So this is not offroading just because they are not going over boulders?

Unless I am seriously overestimating the Ram it will handle this just as easily as the GC.

Yeah, but the Ram doesn't offer the same protection for those in the back from Lions as the Grand Cherokee would. 

Tave