Fiat green lights new Ram brand

Started by SVT666, October 01, 2009, 02:11:21 PM

Tave

Speaking as someone who likes to spend every moment possible in the mountains during the summer, pick-ups are better represented than any other vehicle. Ditto for farms/ranches.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Quote from: Tave on October 05, 2009, 04:47:11 PM
Meh--It'd be a toss-up between the Ram and Jeep over modest technical work as well.

Ahhahaha. Sure it could.

?

Obviously it will vary based on the pasture, but mine does quite well on the one back at home. Of course, nothing bigger than a dog is ever on that one so it isn't very rough.

The Point is, there's a big distinction between driving on a pasture, which only requires decent ground clearance (and sometimes not even that) and offroading.

TBR

Quote from: Galaxy on October 05, 2009, 04:33:21 PM
So this is not offroading just because they are not going over boulders?

Unless I am seriously overestimating the Ram it will handle this just as easily as the GC.

Per my previous post, I don't consider that offroading. The terrain itself isn't tough on the vehicle. To be offroading there has to be mud and/or serious inclines and declines.

Furthermore, the point stands that there is a big distinction between Dodge's truck/suv line-up and Jeep's. Dodge's SUVS aren't very offroad capable (Journey, Nitro, and Durango) while Jeeps, for the most part, are. And, of course, Jeep doesn't have any trucks. I don't really understand why there would be any more clash between a separate Ram brand  and Jeep than there already is between Dodge trucks/suvs and Jeep, which just isn't very much.

Tave

Quote from: TBR on October 05, 2009, 05:07:33 PM
?

Obviously it will vary based on the pasture, but mine does quite well on the one back at home. Of course, nothing bigger than a dog is ever on that one so it isn't very rough.

Do you guys raise sheep or something?

QuoteThe Point is, there's a big distinction between driving on a pasture, which only requires decent ground clearance (and sometimes not even that) and offroading.

Meh, pastures often have small ditches, rocks, muddy patches, uneven ground, etc... I wouldn't drive my car into an open field if I didn't have to. Hell, I drive very carefully in pickups when I leave the road, no matter how flat the ground looks.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Galaxy

Quote from: TBR on October 05, 2009, 05:07:33 PM
The Point is, there's a big distinction between driving on a pasture, which only requires decent ground clearance (and sometimes not even that) and offroading.

To me anything that can get through an african savannah, desert etc is an offroader.

To me the cut off is the Touareg. I do not consider the ML or X5 etc to be offroaders.

Galaxy

Quote from: TBR on October 05, 2009, 05:11:09 PM
Per my previous post, I don't consider that offroading. The terrain itself isn't tough on the vehicle. To be offroading there has to be mud and/or serious inclines and declines.

In other words to you offroading is this:

You can not build a major auto company with sales of over 100,000 around that concept. Especially since you will find more Jeeps in Manhattan then on the Rubicon trail.