Toyoda: Automaker ?grasping for salvation?

Started by SVT666, October 02, 2009, 08:57:40 AM

SVT666

10/02/2009, 9:20 AMBY ANDREW GANZ

Though Toyota?s September sales were not off by as much as some of its Detroit and Japanese rivals, the automaker?s new president, Akio Toyoda, says that the company is ?grasping for salvation? during this dire stretch.

Toyoda cited the five stages of corporate decline organized by How the Mighty Fall author Jim Collins by warning that his company has entered the fourth step.

The automaker is on the edge of ?capitulation to irrelevance or death,? Toyoda said at a news conference in Tokyo. ?Toyota has become too big and distant from its customers.?

Toyoda did cite one factor beyond his ability to alter that has led to his company?s financial troubles: The weak dollar to yen exchange rate.
?When you get to this level, it makes it difficult to return to profit on sales growth alone,? he told reporters.

FoMoJo

If they stopped blaming their customers for the faults of their vehicles they may not now feel the need for salvation.  The epitomy of arrogance, imo.

What is this "Toyoda" anyways? :confused:
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

?Toyota has become too big and distant from its customers.?

Didn't they reach this stage years before the economic crisis when they alienated their few remaining enthusiasts by canning the Celica (or making it FWD and looking like a sissy car) / MR2 / Supra and of course bringing out ass ugly cars?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

3.0L V6

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 02, 2009, 08:57:40 AM
10/02/2009, 9:20 AMBY ANDREW GANZ

Toyoda did cite one factor beyond his ability to alter that has led to his company?s financial troubles: The weak dollar to yen exchange rate.
?When you get to this level, it makes it difficult to return to profit on sales growth alone,? he told reporters.

Doesn't Toyota manufacture the bulk of its mainstream cars/trucks in the United States and Canada? Doesn't that sort of nullify the yen-dollar argument?

I'd imagine that the only imported cars would be higher end vehicles such as Lexus' and perhaps Scions.

SVT666

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 02, 2009, 09:00:52 AM
If they stopped blaming their customers for the faults of their vehicles they may not now feel the need for salvation.  The epitomy of arrogance, imo.

The company was founded by Kiichiro Toyoda in 1937 as a spinoff from his father's company Toyota Industries to create automobiles.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 02, 2009, 09:32:54 AM
?Toyota has become too big and distant from its customers.?

Didn't they reach this stage years before the economic crisis when they alienated their few remaining enthusiasts by canning the Celica (or making it FWD and looking like a sissy car) / MR2 / Supra and of course bringing out ass ugly cars?
Unless I'm mistaken, up until recently Toyota was selling more cars than they ever did during their enthusiastic stage. Plus they literally have the efficiencies of automation and manufacturing down to a science.

The bottom line is people are just not buying new cars like they used to. Outside of Subaru no manufacturer has been immune from the downturn.

Laconian

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 02, 2009, 10:32:39 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, up until recently Toyota was selling more cars than they ever did during their enthusiastic stage. Plus they literally have the efficiencies of automation and manufacturing down to a science.

The bottom line is people are just not buying new cars like they used to. Outside of Subaru no manufacturer has been immune from the downturn.
They don't have the same kind of passion from their customers that they used to. Without customer loyalty, it's difficult to carry sales inertia between generations and across product lines.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Laconian on October 02, 2009, 10:54:25 AM
They don't have the same kind of passion from their customers that they used to. Without customer loyalty, it's difficult to carry sales inertia between generations and across product lines.
I honestly don't know if any Camry has elicited passion from anyone. Maybe the few fringe enthusiasts. Plus their sports cars were so far removed from their mainstreamers I think it's safe to say people who bought Corolla sedans/wagons and Camries knew nothing of Supras or MR2s. Plus they will ALWAYS sell cars. They have the formula down pat. Why complain?

If they want to legitimately take a step out of their comfort zone and make cars people will truly enjoy driving, they will be welcomed with open arms. But there's nothing stopping them.... they have the money & know how, they're just so damn conservative.

ifcar

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 02, 2009, 10:32:39 AM

Hyundai/Kia has done the best.

MX793

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on October 02, 2009, 09:45:09 AM
Doesn't Toyota manufacture the bulk of its mainstream cars/trucks in the United States and Canada? Doesn't that sort of nullify the yen-dollar argument?

I'd imagine that the only imported cars would be higher end vehicles such as Lexus' and perhaps Scions.

Many of their North American market cars are assembled in North America, but many of the parts are sourced from Japan.  In addition, the engineering and development work is largely done in Japan.  The money they get from cars sold in America for dollars does eventually have to find its way back to Japan in yen, and if the exchange rate is weak, the company ultimately sees less profit at corporate headquarters.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 02, 2009, 09:00:52 AM
If they stopped blaming their customers for the faults of their vehicles they may not now feel the need for salvation.  The epitomy of arrogance, imo.

"Toyoda" and "Toyota" are English-ized spellings (referred to as romaji) of the same Japanese word (last name) - there aren't any hard and fast rules as to romaji translation. Further, the consonants "d" and "t" do not exist as such in the Japanese language; their consonants exist WRT to English as a combination and a vowel; i.e., there is no "n," "i," or "b," but rather "no," "ni," "ta," "chi," etc.

Plus, the company is in Toyoda City (almost always spelled with a "d" it seems on maps), not too far from Nagoya, where I often visit.

the Teuton

Let me say this: This example right here proves why Adam Smith is the bomb-dot-com. The free market system will always find a way to regenerate through cycles.

Toyota wanted volume, but because the market was shrinking, they ended up losing money with excess underutilized capacity. They also lost quality by starting to sort through parts manufacturers like the Americans, hunting for the best price instead of the best parts. In the end, they lost this round for the moment.

I want to see what Hyundai, Subaru, and Ford can do now.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 11:30:16 PM
I want to see what Hyundai, Subaru, and Ford can do now.
Me too... if I were in the market for a newish car it would probably be a Ford or Mazda, which would be unheard of just a short 10 years ago. Bigger is not always better. If Hyundai can improve its interiors like Nissan did in the mid '00s, I think their spot will be solidified as well.

CaMIRO

There's room for just one "Toyota" in the auto industry; partly because there are only so many ways to sell vanilla, and partly because you cannot successfully attack an established brand by mimicking its position in the marketplace.

That said, if Toyota drops the ball, Hyundai will be there to pick it up.