AE86 successor concept.

Started by 565, October 06, 2009, 09:17:47 AM

Vinsanity

I just find it funny that you like to harp on Toyotas being boring nerdmobiles, but when they come out with an interesting-looking sport coupe, you say that it won't work in Europe because buyers would rather have boring nerdmobiles :rolleyes:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 07, 2009, 04:11:00 PM
I just find it funny that you like to harp on Toyotas being boring nerdmobiles, but when they come out with an interesting-looking sport coupe, you say that it won't work in Europe because buyers would rather have boring nerdmobiles :rolleyes:

I already stated that this car isn't boring: I just don't like the front.

And trust me, I've lived here long enough to get a feel for the market situation here. There are no successful Japanese compact sports cars here with the exception of the Mazda MX-5 and perhaps the Mazda 3. The sporty stuff offered by Mitsubishi (Lancer Evo), Subaru (Impreza WRX STi), Nissan (350Z/370Z), Honda (Civic Type-R / S2000), Daihatsu (Oh wait, they've got nothing sporty here) and Suzuki (Swift Sport) sell in such small numbers they're not even worth mentioning. Toyota doesn't even have anything sporty in Europe at the moment. This AE86 replacement will most likely have a hard time competing in Europe because the market for small performance hatches here is dominated by the Germans, French and Italians: European brands. And with dominate I mean "dominate": it's a very small market. Most manufacturers just offer these halo versions in order to attract the few customers in this particular market niche and to compete against the other manufacturers but the real bread and butter is a normal Golf or Clio or 500 etc.

Toyota sports cars don't fascinate the majority of people here like they do in the US. There's no real emotional connection to the Supra, Celica, MR2 or AE86 here like there is in the US. You'd have to find some Toyota diehards whom this stuff appeals to but your typical European shopper will most likely not be interested. They're interested in something practical and family-friendly like a Golf, Clio etc. And I've said it before: Toyota's are recognized as reliable and affordable and that's their major selling point: not design, not sport, no fun-to-drive-factor etc.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

hotrodalex

Do want. Pretty much a modern Supra.

NomisR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 07, 2009, 04:38:45 PM
I already stated that this car isn't boring: I just don't like the front.

And trust me, I've lived here long enough to get a feel for the market situation here. There are no successful Japanese compact sports cars here with the exception of the Mazda MX-5 and perhaps the Mazda 3. The sporty stuff offered by Mitsubishi (Lancer Evo), Subaru (Impreza WRX STi), Nissan (350Z/370Z), Honda (Civic Type-R / S2000), Daihatsu (Oh wait, they've got nothing sporty here) and Suzuki (Swift Sport) sell in such small numbers they're not even worth mentioning. Toyota doesn't even have anything sporty in Europe at the moment. This AE86 replacement will most likely have a hard time competing in Europe because the market for small performance hatches here is dominated by the Germans, French and Italians: European brands. And with dominate I mean "dominate": it's a very small market. Most manufacturers just offer these halo versions in order to attract the few customers in this particular market niche and to compete against the other manufacturers but the real bread and butter is a normal Golf or Clio or 500 etc.

Toyota sports cars don't fascinate the majority of people here like they do in the US. There's no real emotional connection to the Supra, Celica, MR2 or AE86 here like there is in the US. You'd have to find some Toyota diehards whom this stuff appeals to but your typical European shopper will most likely not be interested. They're interested in something practical and family-friendly like a Golf, Clio etc. And I've said it before: Toyota's are recognized as reliable and affordable and that's their major selling point: not design, not sport, no fun-to-drive-factor etc.

Wait, but I thought Europeans knows their cars and wants soul, prestige, and heritage with their cars while Americans only knows about grocery getters and appliances.  But now you're saying Europeans prefers appliances as well??  What gives??

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NomisR on October 07, 2009, 04:53:25 PM
Wait, but I thought Europeans knows their cars and wants soul, prestige, and heritage with their cars while Americans only knows about grocery getters and appliances.  But now you're saying Europeans prefers appliances as well??  What gives??
Lol

Why would anyone buy a 116i or C180 2 door hatch over this? Prestige? :wtf:

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 07, 2009, 08:33:10 PM
Lol

Usable space?

sportyaccordy

Sigma Projects

so they're calling the motor C-45?
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

CALL_911

If they do actually produce it, I would buy one in a heartbeat, provided I was in the market....

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on October 07, 2009, 04:53:25 PM

This has nothing to do with prestige. European sporty compacts simply dominate the European market - and they're affordable too like their Japanese counterparts. Japanese performance cars have not made an impact here like they have in the US. We view Japanese cars as affordable and reliable cars that get you from A to B but they lack that "fun to drive" image. That's changing though, especially with Mazda and Honda. Toyota on the other hand is viewed as boring. Reliable and great value but boring beyond boring.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 07, 2009, 08:33:10 PM
Lol

Define "anyone".

116i's are typically bought by older people who find the 1-Series practical, stylish and representing of most BMW values. Or they're bought by people who see the same values in the car but simply don't care about performance. For European tastes the 116i is a decent performer. It's not going to blow you away but it is not exactly slow either.

The CLC180 Kompressor...yep, a true fail car. Mercedes should have never have released it because it's simply a restyled C-Class Sportcoupe. On the other hand it is simply a "temporary gap filler" until the A- or B-Class Coupes (which might even be RWD [in the case of the B-Class Coupe]) arrive.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Onslaught

Other than Porsche, German cars suck.  ;)

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

NomisR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 08, 2009, 09:06:43 AM
This has nothing to do with prestige. European sporty compacts simply dominate the European market - and they're affordable too like their Japanese counterparts. Japanese performance cars have not made an impact here like they have in the US. We view Japanese cars as affordable and reliable cars that get you from A to B but they lack that "fun to drive" image. That's changing though, especially with Mazda and Honda. Toyota on the other hand is viewed as boring. Reliable and great value but boring beyond boring.

Toyota's always been boring though.  They did have few "exciting" cars in the 80s and 90s, but even then, it's not in the same fashion that the Europeans would prefer. 

I think Japanese cars were more popular in the US than European because Japanese cars are typically cheaper and also more reliable. 

NomisR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 08, 2009, 09:10:21 AM
The CLC180 Kompressor...yep, a true fail car. Mercedes should have never have released it because it's simply a restyled C-Class Sportcoupe. On the other hand it is simply a "temporary gap filler" until the A- or B-Class Coupes (which might even be RWD [in the case of the B-Class Coupe]) arrive.

This is Christian Wimmer posting?  You said Mercedes has a fail car...  :confused:

Tave

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 08, 2009, 09:06:43 AM
That's changing though, especially with Mazda and Honda. Toyota on the other hand is viewed as boring. Reliable and great value but boring beyond boring.

A fun, affordable AE86 wouldn't help to change Toyota's image like similar models have done for those other companies?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: NomisR on October 08, 2009, 04:08:51 PM
Toyota's always been boring though.  They did have few "exciting" cars in the 80s and 90s, but even then, it's not in the same fashion that the Europeans would prefer. 

I think Japanese cars were more popular in the US than European because Japanese cars are typically cheaper and also more reliable. 

IIRC, Japanese cars cost comparatively more in Europe than in America.  Tarrifs?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

NomisR

Quote from: MX793 on October 08, 2009, 05:06:29 PM
IIRC, Japanese cars cost comparatively more in Europe than in America.  Tarrifs?

Yeah, and shipping costs too. 

Sigma Projects

isn't both American and Japanese cars that cost considerably more in Europe? Like how a ZR1 cost double in Europe than it does here in the States. I'm sure just about all foreign sports cars in Europe are extremely expensive to their domestic counter parts.

NomisR

Quote from: Sigma Projects on October 08, 2009, 05:25:42 PM
isn't both American and Japanese cars that cost considerably more in Europe? Like how a ZR1 cost double in Europe than it does here in the States. I'm sure just about all foreign sports cars in Europe are extremely expensive to their domestic counter parts.

Yeah, VAT and Tariffs makes it a lot more expensive. 

US is probably one of the few countries where imported goods isnt' taxed as heavily as other countries.

MX793

Quote from: Sigma Projects on October 08, 2009, 05:25:42 PM

All cars cost significantly more in Europe, but IIRC, Japanese cars cost comparatively/relatively more in Europe (when compared to other cars on the market) than they do in the US.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Sigma Projects

i see. Still confused at how say a twin turbo Supra with a 6spd didn't catch anyone's interest in Europe in the 90's. Yea it was expensive, but still was an interesting car. Actually in the 90's there were good variety in Toyota for sports cars, the last GT4, turbo midship coupe, or even the levin. I don't think I'd even care about Toyota at all unless they had that 25 years of producing some really nice sports cars. If they were the same as they are now from the late 70's to now, I don't think I'd even know what a Toyota is. Much like I barely know anything about current Chevy/Ford products since the only thing they've had consistently for a long time is the Corvette/Mustang. And I'm mostly a GM fan because of their work truck/vans and the LS motors. Other than that it's hard for me to get interested in the brand anymore especially since they killed off the Kappa twins.

I guess my point is I don't see how Toyota making a sports coupe and selling it in Europe to get some more interest in the brand is a bad idea.

Sigma Projects

So does that mean they are concepts by Autocar?

CALL_911

The more I think about this thing, the more I want it.

It needs to come to production about now.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 09, 2009, 12:41:22 AM
The more I think about this thing, the more I want it.

It needs to come to production about now.

Agreed. AWD STI Subaru version for me, please.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on October 09, 2009, 12:47:03 AM
Agreed. AWD STI Subaru version for me, please.

I'd love the WRX/WRX STI turbo on it, but you can keep the AWD. I'll take RWD.

I just love the idea of having a boxer+RWD. It excites me.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi