Wife's new car

Started by Cobra93, October 07, 2009, 12:40:14 PM

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on October 14, 2009, 09:43:07 AM
the clubman probably doesn't launch itself over expansion joints like the cooper does

And where's the fun in that? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cobra93

Quote from: r0tor on October 14, 2009, 09:43:07 AM
the clubman probably doesn't launch itself over expansion joints like the cooper does
It's a little stiff but I never got any air. :thumbsup:

Cobra93

Quote from: Raza  on October 14, 2009, 09:29:11 AM
I can only imagine it would.  The extra wheelbase would lend it stability, which is the opposite handling. 
Yes, it's got 3" more wheelbase but the term "sluggish handling" never entered my mind. ;)

Raza

Quote from: Cobra93 on October 14, 2009, 10:52:05 AM
Yes, it's got 3" more wheelbase but the term "sluggish handling" never entered my mind. ;)

No, I wouldn't describe it that way either.  Compared to most cars, I'm sure it's razor sharp; but I imagine it's duller than a Cooper. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

plus it doesn't get airborn over expansion joints
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on October 14, 2009, 11:03:26 AM
plus it doesn't get airborn over expansion joints

But where's the fun in that?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on October 14, 2009, 09:29:11 AM
I can only imagine it would.  The extra wheelbase would lend it stability, which is the opposite handling. 

I sincerely hope that's a joke.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Quote from: MrH on October 14, 2009, 10:53:40 PM

Nope, it's why midengine cars "handle" the best, they are more unstable than FR cars

Also, same with fighter planes.  The most manueverable ones are aerodynamically unstable
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HotRodPilot on October 15, 2009, 01:14:11 AM
Nope, it's why midengine cars "handle" the best, they are more unstable than FR cars

Also, same with fighter planes.  The most manueverable ones are aerodynamically unstable

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule: Swift is both the most unstable, and worst handling car I have ever driven.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: MrH on October 14, 2009, 10:53:40 PM

:hesaid:

Clearly there's a trade-off between stability and responsiveness, but instability makes a car more eager to change directions, whereas stability will make it less eager, especially at lower speeds.  And as Rich stated, the same concept is used in aeronautics; I remember reading about how they engineered less stability in the Eurofighter Typhoon to make it more maneuverable.

Of course, at higher speeds, one tends to favor stability over responsiveness (in a car, planes are really out of my knowledge scope), which is why when testing, automobile manufacturers tend to use different tracks to test, but as of late, they've moved to the Nurburgring, which is a good test of both (but, in my amateur opinion, not the best test of outright handling). 

You're an engineer, right? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on October 15, 2009, 06:52:35 AM
:hesaid:

Clearly there's a trade-off between stability and responsiveness, but instability makes a car more eager to change directions, whereas stability will make it less eager, especially at lower speeds.  And as Rich stated, the same concept is used in aeronautics; I remember reading about how they engineered less stability in the Eurofighter Typhoon to make it more maneuverable.

Of course, at higher speeds, one tends to favor stability over responsiveness (in a car, planes are really out of my knowledge scope), which is why when testing, automobile manufacturers tend to use different tracks to test, but as of late, they've moved to the Nurburgring, which is a good test of both (but, in my amateur opinion, not the best test of outright handling). 

You're an engineer, right? 

:facepalm:

If you're going to boil handling down to the opposite of stability, there's no point in arguing with you.  Handling is a combination of countless different variables.  If they really are as opposite as you claim, Nick's swift is an anomaly, along with an M3.  The Swift handles like shit, and isn't stable either.  An M3 is both stable and handles beautifully.

If what're you saying is true, the shortest wheelbase should be the best handling car out there (a Smart Car maybe), and worst handling car should be the longest wheel base out there (a Ford Flex?).

Handling dynamics is infinitely more complex than you're trying to make it out to be.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Midengine cars handle well because of their low polar moment of inertia.  There are mid engine cars that are incredible stable.  In fact, I'd say the Veyron is probably the most stable car out there.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

Best handling car on the planet:

So, what were you guys saying about instability? :lol:

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: MrH on October 15, 2009, 04:24:35 PM
:facepalm:

If you're going to boil handling down to the opposite of stability, there's no point in arguing with you.  Handling is a combination of countless different variables.  If they really are as opposite as you claim, Nick's swift is an anomaly, along with an M3.  The Swift handles like shit, and isn't stable either.  An M3 is both stable and handles beautifully.

If what're you saying is true, the shortest wheelbase should be the best handling car out there (a Smart Car maybe), and worst handling car should be the longest wheel base out there (a Ford Flex?).

Handling dynamics is infinitely more complex than you're trying to make it out to be.

Of course there are exceptions and there are differences with regard to weight and weight distribution, but yes, generally making a car more stable means it's less able to change direction.  Like I explicitly stated, there are tradeoffs between stability and handling.  Excuse me for not listing every fucking variable in handling. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

You have the enthusiast versus the engineer here. This debate ought to be interesting.

I'll just say this: there's a reason most of Honda's best cars have short wheelbases and skinny-ass tires.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Cobra93

Freshly Zaino'd and minus the fugly front license bracket.

Man, this thing is a blast to drive.  :ohyeah:

Submariner

Quote from: NACar on October 15, 2009, 04:31:16 PM
Best handling car on the planet:

So, what were you guys saying about instability? :lol:

My stability >>>>>> yours
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Rich

Quote from: Cobra93 on October 24, 2009, 09:34:38 PM

More fun than the mustang?

Cobra93

Quote from: HotRodPilot on October 24, 2009, 09:45:20 PM
More fun than the mustang?
Obviously, it doesn't have the acceleration, but it's just so flickable that you don't miss all that torque. And it's averaging 30 mpg. :praise:

Payman

Quote from: Cobra93 on October 24, 2009, 09:34:38 PM

Very nice.

giant_mtb

Get some tires shine on there to complement that nice wax job! :ohyeah:

...unless the glare from the sun is making the tire shine not visible. :mask:

Rich

http://www.autogeek.net/black-wow-trim-restorer.html

The stuff was developed by a MINI owner specifically for the trim.  I suggest buying a bottle, it'll last a while.

The stuff sold off the shelf is only good for a week or so and about 2 rain showers

Makes a little difference...

CALL_911

Awesome car, dude.

I must ask, what made you pick the Clubman over the normal car?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cobra93

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 25, 2009, 12:35:43 AM
Awesome car, dude.

I must ask, what made you pick the Clubman over the normal car?
Rear seat access and legroom is much better in the Clubman.

Raza

Looks good!  I didn't think I'd like that color, but I do.

Are those covers on rally lights, or something else completely?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cobra93

Quote from: Raza  on October 25, 2009, 07:32:57 AM
Looks good!  I didn't think I'd like that color, but I do.

Are those covers on rally lights, or something else completely?
Mini calls them driving lights. They only run with the high beams.

eThirteen

Can I has a Touareg off eBay?

Cobra93

Quote from: eThirteen on October 30, 2009, 09:45:48 AM
Can I has a Touareg off eBay?
You can has anything you want if you has the money. :thumbsup:

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on October 16, 2009, 08:51:26 AM
Of course there are exceptions and there are differences with regard to weight and weight distribution, but yes, generally making a car more stable means it's less able to change direction.  Like I explicitly stated, there are tradeoffs between stability and handling.  Excuse me for not listing every fucking variable in handling. 

Of course, there's some many exceptions, it's not even a rule!

There's a vague correlation between the two.  If you want to try and simplify handling that much, you're fooling yourself.  You can ask Teuton.  I'm reading a book he sent me that's over 500 pages, on just Tires, Suspension, and Handling.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

dazzleman

Enjoy the new car.  That sure looks better than a Pity Cruiser.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!