Calling it quits.

Started by TBR, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 AM

the Teuton

Let him price it at $3,000 for a car that needs work and has 358k miles on it. The market ultimately decides how much a car is worth. That's the fun of capitalism.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on October 18, 2009, 09:01:36 AM
Let him price it at $3,000 for a car that needs work and has 358k miles on it. The market ultimately decides how much a car is worth. That's the fun of capitalism.

You all don't seem to understand the absurd obsession people have with Hondas. I'll get at least $2000 for it. I have seen Preludes in this area priced similarly or higher that were in worse shape, but with fewer miles so I don't think $3000 is an outrageous asking price.

TBR

Quote from: Submariner on October 18, 2009, 08:19:00 AM
Even with the engine being 120k miles old, you have to remember that the suspension is 350k miles old, the frame is 350k miles old, the interior is 350k miles old, the body is 350k miles old...and the transmission, did that come with the new engine or was the new engine bolted onto the old transmission?

I'd say 1500 MAX, and only on a good day. 

You think I don't realize all this? Why do you think I am going to be getting rid of it? Come on people, give me a little credit, I didn't just pull the number out of my ass.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on October 18, 2009, 10:48:32 AM

You all don't seem to understand the absurd obsession people have with Hondas. I'll get at least $2000 for it. I have seen Preludes in this area priced similarly or higher that were in worse shape, but with fewer miles so I don't think $3000 is an outrageous asking price.

What did you pay for it?

TBR

Quote from: Tave on October 18, 2009, 08:58:40 AM
No way in hell I would pay 3 grand for it if I was in the market for a Prelude.

Then you wouldn't be buying a Prelude. You'd be hard pressed to find any Prelude of any year and with any miles that ran well and looked clean for under $3k.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: TBR on October 18, 2009, 10:50:35 AM
Then you wouldn't be buying a Prelude. You'd be hard pressed to find any Prelude of any year and with any miles that ran well and looked clean for under $3k.

Proof you're nuts:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1424555875.html

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TBR

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TBR

Quote from: SVT_Power on October 18, 2009, 11:32:25 AM
"Not running... needs engine work"

Yep. Looks relatively nice, but it doesn't run and the body doesn't have particularly low mileage either (not 358k either, but hardly fresh out the box) yet someone is still asking $2200. And that's also in a huge metro area, where used cars tend to be cheaper than in more rural areas (not that I am really in a rural area, but it sure isn't Atlanta).

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: TBR on October 18, 2009, 10:48:32 AM

You all don't seem to understand the absurd obsession people have with Hondas.

amen dude!
Good luck with the sale/ purchase.

As far as the cruise control goes, my grandfather installed cruise on a car way back in the day. I'm not sure how hard it would be, but owing to the fact that much of the car is electronic now (instead of vacuum-operated) it shouldn't be that terrible.
Will

TBR

Question: Is the 2.0l Mazda engine really that much better than the Ztec?

I really wish I could just go ahead and buy that one I posted earlier, but my parents aren't cooperating. Of course, it could still be there in 6 months, they have already had it since November 2008.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on October 18, 2009, 01:56:24 PM
Question: Is the 2.0l Mazda engine really that much better than the Ztec?

I really wish I could just go ahead and buy that one I posted earlier, but my parents aren't cooperating. Of course, it could still be there in 6 months, they have already had it since November 2008.

Power is night and day.

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on October 18, 2009, 02:03:31 PM
Power is night and day.

The one I drove Thursday definitely moved. Hopefully I am going to have some scholarship money come in soon so maybe it'll happen then. IF I hadn't put that extra $1000 into the Prelude I'd be able to buy it right now. I am hitting myself over that. But, stupid decisions happen.

2o6

Quote from: TBR on October 18, 2009, 02:22:37 PM
The one I drove Thursday definitely moved. Hopefully I am going to have some scholarship money come in soon so maybe it'll happen then. IF I hadn't put that extra $1000 into the Prelude I'd be able to buy it right now. I am hitting myself over that. But, stupid decisions happen.

...You can use scholarship money for that?

Forgive me for being dumb.

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on October 18, 2009, 02:23:59 PM
...You can use scholarship money for that?

Forgive me for being dumb.

I think it's a cash stipend.

the Teuton

Scholarships are broadly defined as money to help you pursue life while in college. That includes extra stuff, too.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on October 18, 2009, 02:35:08 PM
Scholarships are broadly defined as money to help you pursue life while in college. That includes extra stuff, too.

Hookers and blow?  :lol:

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on October 18, 2009, 02:35:58 PM

Hookers and blow?  :lol:

In theory, sure.

If they write a check out to me to cash, they can't dictate where it goes.

the Teuton

Hookers and blow is a great way to spend scholarship money. I've done it.

sportyaccordy

Wow, 3K for a Prelude...

I thought asking 2500 for my car (w/5th gen Prelude 5 lug suspension, various well chosen mods and much lower mileage on the motor + body) was unreasonable. Hopefully I get what I'm looking for.

Best time to sell (at least around here) is tax time so I will wait till then.

TBR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 19, 2009, 10:14:44 AM
Wow, 3K for a Prelude...

I thought asking 2500 for my car (w/5th gen Prelude 5 lug suspension, various well chosen mods and much lower mileage on the motor + body) was unreasonable. Hopefully I get what I'm looking for.

Best time to sell (at least around here) is tax time so I will wait till then.

You're in NYC, that's the difference.

Besides, I think that my car is worth more than yours anyway. It's a Prelude, it's newer, the exterior is certainly in better shape, and, short of the suspension problems, it is in pretty good shape as well.

Rupert

But it has 350,000 miles on it. I know Honda fanboys are crazy, but I just cannot imagine anyone spending $3k on any car with that mileage that's not exotic or has a very interesting history.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Quote from: Psilos on October 19, 2009, 06:56:01 PM
But it has 350,000 miles on it. I know Honda fanboys are crazy, but I just cannot imagine anyone spending $3k on any car with that mileage that's not exotic or has a very interesting history.

Yeah, I have to agree.  Worth maybe 1k.

TBR

I am, btw, thinking about fixing it and keeping it. The engine runs so good, and it really is a blast to drive. This is everything wrong with it that I know of:

Transmission leaks (probably axle seals?)
Front motor mount
Suspension crap

And that's all I can really come-up with.

What I have done to it lately:

Timing belt + water pump
Front lower ball joints
Rack and Pinion
Outer tie rods
Starter
Battery
Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders

What do you all think? What other stuff is likely to go out due to age/miles? (that isn't related to the engine) How do MT's normally hold up? (that's the biggest component that hasn't been replaced) Is there anyway to tell how much life a MT has left in it?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Well, those are all asking prices, and none of those cars are above 220 kmiles. I dunno, maybe you can $3k for it... I would expect $2-2.3k with those miles.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA