New Tire Time: For realsies this time.

Started by Raza , October 16, 2009, 02:42:18 PM

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20213.msg1316142#msg1316142 date=1272404154
I'm the same way with Michelins.  I've never had a good set, but I know people who swear by them. 

Our 07 Mazda6 came with Michelins.  They've been very good for the 30K miles we have on the car.  I expect they will last another 15K before I replace them.   Michelins are good, but very pricy.  Equal tires can be had for less, IMHO.

Byteme

Quote from: The Pirate on April 27, 2010, 10:25:11 PM
No, no.  The mechanic at the LBS will hate you if you use slime in your bike tires and he has to change a flat (as will happen eventually).  If you change them yourself, then it's cool.  But that crap is stanky when it's been inside a tube and it gets everywhere.

I'd use that green slime stuff in trailer tires and that's it.  And then only because trailer flats are a royal pain in the neck.

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 27, 2010, 04:07:13 PM
Meh. If you're changing tires, it's basically mandatory for shops to replace your in-wheel TPMS sensors

no, not rly
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20213.msg1315922#msg1315922 date=1272387186
Are Pirellis really worth it?  They look to be $140+ on TireRack (and of course installation is going to be like $80 on top of that), and I know they're very exotic sounding and all, but are they worth the premium over Bridgestones or Continentals?

My P-Zero M+S tires have served me well though I don't think their snow traction is worth a damn.  They got noisy due to driving a few hundred miles with too many people and or things in the back causing camber wear issues, but they grip like mad in the dry and do ok in the rain as well.  Also, price-wise I think they were no different if not cheaper than the Bridgestones and Bitchelins.

Like I said in another thread, next set will probably be S.Drives since they are supposedly a bit quieter than other summer performance tires, if not the grippiest.

S204STi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on April 28, 2010, 04:34:41 PM
:hesaid:

Only if they break them should you have to replace them. 

Where I worked (Walmart :rolleyes:) the customer had to sign a release of liability waiver form thing (which none of them ever wanted to sign) to NOT have their TPMS sensors replaced if we dismounted a tire. I'm not sure if it was just a Walmart or a state thing, but it was a thing.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Probably Wally World covering their asses in case one of their guys broke one.

SVT_Power

Quote from: R-inge on April 28, 2010, 05:48:29 PM
Probably Wally World covering their asses in case one of their guys broke one.

From the horror stories of wallymart "techs", I would be surprised if they didn't break one...or a few.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

S204STi

Even the good techs occasionally screw up and break them, so I wouldn't doubt it.

The Phantom

I'd take it elsewhere.  If that shit breaks when getting the tires changed, then it's on you.  I don't know how much it is to replace it, but I bet it isn't cheap.

I wonder if CostCo operates that way?
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

Raza

Fuck me, I need to order tires today.  And pay my cell phone bill.  But that's another problem.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

In other news, the air is holding in the tire, but I'm getting an awful lot of vibration when accelerating at higher speeds, and even when just cruising at highway speed, there's a bit of a wobble, and you can feel the splashiness in the steering.  I think I might just have to go to my Bridgestone place near me and see if they can change the tires on Saturday.  Frankly, I'm not all that comfortable driving on the highway with it, and my indecisiveness as to what rubber to buy has wasted a lot of time.  

What do you guys think of the Pirelli PZero Nero All Season ($147) or the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position ($155)?  Those are the two I'm thinking of most seriously.  

EDIT:  My friend also told me to check out the Falken ZE-912.  Heard anything about them?  Falken isn't sold on TireRack, so it's kind of hard to get an idea of how well they perform. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

alot of rx8 owners have been happy with the pzero nero all season... well except for the goon that wanted to go autox-ing in them
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza  on April 30, 2010, 06:11:42 AM

EDIT:  My friend also told me to check out the Falken ZE-912.  Heard anything about them?  Falken isn't sold on TireRack, so it's kind of hard to get an idea of how well they perform. 

I have them. They are grippy but terrible in snow. I convert to Conti snows in the winter.

I have a vibration problem, but I'm not convinced it's not the car as this happened when the previous set got older too.

Eye of the Tiger

In other news, the air is holding in the tire, but I'm getting an awful lot of vibration when accelerating at higher speeds, and even when just cruising at highway speed, there's a bit of a wobble, and you can feel the splashiness in the steering.  I think I might just have to go to my Bridgestone place near me and see if they can change the tires on Saturday.  Frankly, I'm not all that comfortable driving on the highway with it, and my indecisiveness as to what rubber to buy has wasted a lot of time. 

What do you guys think of the Pirelli PZero Nero All Season ($147) or the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position ($155)?  Those are the two I'm thinking of most seriously. 

Bridgestones. No joke.

The Phantom

I just had a set of HTR Z III's installed.  Will let you know how they work, but on the drive back home, they felt really nice.

Worth a look, Raza.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z+III
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20213.msg1318169#msg1318169 date=1272629502
In other news, the air is holding in the tire, but I'm getting an awful lot of vibration when accelerating at higher speeds, and even when just cruising at highway speed, there's a bit of a wobble, and you can feel the splashiness in the steering.  I think I might just have to go to my Bridgestone place near me and see if they can change the tires on Saturday.  Frankly, I'm not all that comfortable driving on the highway with it, and my indecisiveness as to what rubber to buy has wasted a lot of time.  

What do you guys think of the Pirelli PZero Nero All Season ($147) or the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position ($155)?  Those are the two I'm thinking of most seriously.  

Falken's are available on Discount Tire's website and they're great tires.  I'm driving across the border tomorrow to get a new set of Dunlop Direzza DZ101 installed on the SVTF.  I got them to drop their price to $90 a tire.  All the reviews are excellent for the tire so I'm pretty confident they'll be good.

sparkplug

In other news, the air is holding in the tire, but I'm getting an awful lot of vibration when accelerating at higher speeds, and even when just cruising at highway speed, there's a bit of a wobble, and you can feel the splashiness in the steering.  I think I might just have to go to my Bridgestone place near me and see if they can change the tires on Saturday.  Frankly, I'm not all that comfortable driving on the highway with it, and my indecisiveness as to what rubber to buy has wasted a lot of time. 

What do you guys think of the Pirelli PZero Nero All Season ($147) or the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position ($155)?  Those are the two I'm thinking of most seriously. 

Find that air and put it back in.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Hmm...the Continental ExtremeContact DWS has the highest rating of the high/ultra-high performance all seasons on TireRack.  8.7 even surpasses the RE960ASs (8.2) for $40 less per corner.  Thoughts?

EDIT:  Apparently some people notice less crisp steering feel when coming from other tires, but I don't that will be an issue coming from my shittastic Michelins. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on May 03, 2010, 01:01:43 PM
Hmm...the Continental ExtremeContact DWS has the highest rating of the high/ultra-high performance all seasons on TireRack.  8.7 even surpasses the RE960ASs (8.2) for $40 less per corner.  Thoughts?

What rating category are you looking at, because I don't see those numbers anywhere. The Bridgestones are placed #3 overall, but their ratings have 12-times more miles than the top two tires, and Bridgestone fucking rocks, so... yeah. Man, it would suck for me if you got the Bridgestones and they were just crap. I'm sure they're both good.

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 03, 2010, 01:09:21 PM
What rating category are you looking at, because I don't see those numbers anywhere. The Bridgestones are placed #3 overall, but their ratings have 12-times more miles than the top two tires, and Bridgestone fucking rocks, so... yeah. Man, it would suck for me if you got the Bridgestones and they were just crap. I'm sure they're both good.

I was looking at the user ratings. 

Man $620 before installation is a lot to drop on tires.  But then again, they are an incredibly important component, and it's not you buy tires every six months or anything.  My shitty fucking Michelins lasted nearly two years and it would cost just as much or more to replace them with the same shitty fucking Michelins. 

Again, reading a more reviews on the Continentals, I'm not happy with the way even positive reviews mention that the steering feel suffers with them on the wheels.  They're out. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Well, if you don't want to spend $620 (+shipping?), you can get tires in that size for about $50 a piece. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 03, 2010, 01:30:11 PM
Well, if you don't want to spend $620 (+shipping?), you can get tires in that size for about $50 a piece. :lol:

I'm seeing a few complaints about soft sidewalls again messing with steering feel.  But then again, user reviews are always a crapshoot.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: The Phantom on April 27, 2010, 02:31:29 PM
Check out the Sumitomo HTR Z III.  I'm considering them for my Goat, and they're just a tad over $100 per tire from Tire Rack, plus shipping.

Tire Rack gave it a really good review.

I got those and they've been great, much better than my stock set of tires.

Raza

The Pirellis, while having a lower overall score in the user reviews, seem to have fewer negative reviews than the Bridgestones...it also looks like the people buying the Pirellis had or are looking at the Bridgestones as well. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 03, 2010, 02:46:47 PM

I got those and they've been great, much better than my stock set of tires.

I just saw them as well.  At that price, I'm seriously considering them. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

I got ripped off on my tires, damn, I paid $947 for a set of 4 + instillation.

SVT666

Those Dunlop Direzza's that I posted earlier are awesome.  Much better then the Continental ContiSportContact3 that came with my car.  Very very impressed, and I paid $462 for all 4 mounted and balanced.

The Phantom

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 03, 2010, 03:42:16 PM
I got ripped off on my tires, damn, I paid $947 for a set of 4 + instillation.

Out the door, I paid $603 with an alignment.  I do believe mine are wider than yours, but maybe not.  Mine are 245/45-17.

But so far, I'm enjoying them a lot.