Tire pressure gauge

Started by Morris Minor, October 19, 2009, 07:04:56 AM

Morris Minor

For my birthday, my dad sent me one of these:-

It works well & is easy to use but, honestly, I'm not 100% confident in its accuracy (nor any of the others I own). It reads 1lb/psi higher than my conventional mechanical Accugage gauge which, in turn, is different from a couple of pen gauges I have. I'd like to be able to take it (& the others) somewhere to make sure it's calibrated correctly - so far I have not found a resource available for this.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

S204STi

Stick gauges are the least accurate.  Your accugage is likely pretty accurate, so if anything i'd take that 1psi discrepancy with a grain of salt.  1psi doesn't really matter that much anyway, IMO.

Personally I have a mechanical Accugage and a digital Snap-On, and I compare them regularly. They are pretty much in sync.

JWC

One or two PSI isn't a big deal unless you're traveling 150mph or more around a track with 30 other people.

I've had customers check their tire pressures with a Walmart special before leaving the parking lot and complain that my tech got their tire pressures off by a couple of pounds.  We would have to take the digital gauge out to their car to prove that the tech was correct. 

I wish I knew who made the tire pressure gauge that Ford sent to dealers.  It was simple and accurate.  We received it during the Explorer/Firestone fiasco.

My service manager was disappointed to find it didn't work one day.  He was trying to find a name on it so he could order another.  I said that it might just need batteries....he looked at me and said, "you think it has batteries?"  Me, "you think it lights up from you holding it?"

S204STi

Quote from: JWC on October 19, 2009, 07:46:14 AM
One or two PSI isn't a big deal unless you're traveling 150mph or more around a track with 30 other people.

I've had customers check their tire pressures with a Walmart special before leaving the parking lot and complain that my tech got their tire pressures off by a couple of pounds.  We would have to take the digital gauge out to their car to prove that the tech was correct. 

I wish I knew who made the tire pressure gauge that Ford sent to dealers.  It was simple and accurate.  We received it during the Explorer/Firestone fiasco.

My service manager was disappointed to find it didn't work one day.  He was trying to find a name on it so he could order another.  I said that it might just need batteries....he looked at me and said, "you think it has batteries?"  Me, "you think it lights up from you holding it?"

LOL

Raza

I need a new one.  I had a really good one at some point, but I don't know where it went.  Maybe it's in my brother's car....

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

i have a craftsman digital that someone bought for me for x-mas... really its not any more handy then my previous $5 dial gauge i use to use
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Byteme

Too bad the best gauge you could buy, a Drager,  is no longer being made.

I use one of these:

Morris Minor

280Z Turbo

I like these:

They have an air bleed on them and they're easy to read. They come in a 60 psi version, by the way.

NomisR

I have an accugage, but what do you guys use to read tire temps?

Submariner

Quote from: Byteme on October 19, 2009, 11:17:35 AM
Too bad the best gauge you could buy, a Drager,  is no longer being made.

I use one of these:

My dad has two of those.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

S204STi

Quote from: NomisR on October 19, 2009, 12:22:19 PM

I'd recommend an IR thermometer.  I don't have one personally, because I don't need to measure tire temps...

Byteme

Everyone needs an IR thermometer.     :lol:

You'll never be aware of how many things you wanted to know the temperature of until you get one.

What's the temp of the dog?  The fish?  The outside of the thermometer?  Your dashboard?  Taht concrete drive?  That TV screen?  You'll spend the first week checking the temp of everything you can think of.

S204STi

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NomisR on October 19, 2009, 12:22:19 PM

A probe like this:

Morris Minor

Quote from: Byteme on October 19, 2009, 01:18:30 PM
Everyone needs an IR thermometer.     :lol:

You'll never be aware of how many things you wanted to know the temperature of until you get one.

What's the temp of the dog?  The fish?  The outside of the thermometer?  Your dashboard?  Taht concrete drive?  That TV screen?  You'll spend the first week checking the temp of everything you can think of.

I've just realized I urgently need one of these.  :lol:

sportyaccordy

I have 4 onboard infrared cameras to scan tire temps, and I have sensors on the control arms/chassis that compare body to wheel motions and back calculate tire pressure (and suspension bushing compliance). Pretty accurate, down to about 0.00005%. Decent I guess.

NomisR

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 19, 2009, 01:29:11 PM
A probe like this:

I don't like poking holes in my tires though.. it makes them look ugly

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JWC

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 19, 2009, 01:52:47 PM
I have 4 onboard infrared cameras to scan tire temps, and I have sensors on the control arms/chassis that compare body to wheel motions and back calculate tire pressure (and suspension bushing compliance). Pretty accurate, down to about 0.00005%. Decent I guess.

What...no on-board tire heaters to bring the tires to operating temps before taking to the roadways?

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

r0tor

Quote from: NomisR on October 19, 2009, 02:08:27 PM
I don't like poking holes in my tires though.. it makes them look ugly

this works for me

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

So, what exactly is the most accurate type of gauge?  And how are they calibrated to make sure they're accurate?

JWC

I couldn't tell you which is really the most accurate.  I checked mine against each other.  I had probably six tire pressure gauges.  I checked one tire with each and whichever was more than two pounds off, I tossed.   The cheap Walmart one passed.  Since that check, I'm down to three.

S204STi

Quote from: JWC on October 19, 2009, 06:17:24 PM
I couldn't tell you which is really the most accurate.  I checked mine against each other.  I had probably six tire pressure gauges.  I checked one tire with each and whichever was more than two pounds off, I tossed.   The cheap Walmart one passed.  Since that check, I'm down to three.

Yeah, that's kinda how I do it too.

Secret Chimp

I actually compared my little cheapo pokey-dial gauge against an expensive brass-shit-with-a-hose gauge at an autocross and they read out the exact same.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.